The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Honey Hole ettiquette  (Read 4509 times)

Offline bumps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Honey Hole ettiquette
« on: Dec 20, 2005, 12:58 PM »
OK, so here is my question?  If I have never fished a pond before and don't know much about it, is it bad fishing ettiquette to find a spot that someone has drilled holes in the past and set up shop?  Or is it first come first serve?  I certainly wouldn't want to step on anyones toes, but I also don't think anyone "owns" a spot on a lake?  Just interested in what other people think.

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
Re: Honey Hole ettiquette
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:01 PM »
If you got there at 5am you can have them.  No one owns the ice but if the pond is small don't get all up iun arms if someone else hops in next to yah!   ;D
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:07 PM »
Same here, if your first on the ice the hole is yours.....as long as you practice what you preach.

Offline ice rambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:25 PM »
It is a good idea to look around the existing holes for blood stains and/or discarded weeds. If snow is present, the number of times(foot prints) a given hole is visited may be indicative of action.

Offline Anima1z

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><,))'>
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:34 PM »
Same - depending on the pond/lake I have fished with people less than 15ft from my flags.  Usually the more the merrier, and we share whatever we have.  I usually bring out plenty of food/drink, cigars... etc 
I do remember a long time ago I was with my friend and his dad and he cut through an old hole with his power auger and it bent the blade pretty badly so I do not do that, unless its with my chisel.

Offline weedeater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2005, 02:21 PM »
Most folks I know hold by the first come first served attitude, unless it's during a tournament...then you get guys cutting holes right through your setup.  Although we fish as a crew during tourneys and we sometimes wind up covering a pretty good sized area. But just a regular day on the ice, there's no need for getting territorial!

On one occasion though, a guy came up to us and started whining that he's been fishing this pond for yadda yadda years and he is normally at this spot (where we were) by 5am but that this morning yadda yadda....

He was trying to get us to move so he could fish there.  We told him he was welcome to set up along with us, that there was plenty of room.  He just kept griping and eventually wandered off.

It's not good for your auger to re-drill holes though.  Better off to drill a couple feet away or so.

Offline Crazy-Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2005, 03:00 PM »
First come ,first serve.Thats the way I look at it.So if you see me and my crew in a spot and you came a half hour later(specialy for a derby) Please go somewhere else.I would never do that to YOU!
If it was that easy,everyone would do it!

hali-man

« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2005, 03:46 PM »
If I have never fished a pond before and don't know much about it, is it bad fishing ettiquette to find a spot that someone has drilled holes in the past and set up shop?

If no one is there it's yours. Plain and simple...  >:D

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nationality: Porterguese of course!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2005, 03:56 PM »
I agree with everything said above with one exception, If you get there after ryguy, you can take his holes!!! Had to say it......  Just kiddin'  Best thing to look for is blood and lots of foot tracks. Good luck.

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2005, 04:04 PM »
I agree with all the above statements.  many times people have taken my "honey hole" and it forces me to scope out other areas and usually finding better places to fish.  Dont forget, fish move.  One day hot, one day cold; dont sweat it, just find another place, no big deal.

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2005, 04:29 PM »
Early bird gets the worm!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Early bird gets the Spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are all fishermen or women so we all go by this.
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2005, 04:47 PM »
he who hesitates....waits..if you're on the ice first, you have first choice....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2005, 06:25 PM »
I never use old holes....even if there is blood and weeds next to them. Just a personal preference.....but I actually like "FRESH" ice.....
Maybe that explains why I suck at icefishing........... :%$#!:

By the way, if anyone even thinks of moving in on the Goatboy honey holes, your dead meat. :flex:
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:51 AM »
I love Mugz the Thugz..... Old holes = more light coming through = attract baitfish = Porter redrilling them and catching lots of fishies = Mugz setting up shop on the opposite end of the lake!

Offline bumps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2005, 10:53 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I agree with everyone else, I think if you get up early enough to be on the ice first, then you should have first choice.  I never redrill through old holes, but I would put a new one near it.  I am more then happy to share ice with people, and agree that the more the merrier.  I ran into a person last year who put up such a stink saying that he fished a certain area everyday and that it was HIS spot!  I told him he was more than welcome to join me but he kept on ranting and it almost came to blows.  No need fro any of that, we are all just out to have a good time.  But it did make me think, so I wanted others opinions.  Glad to see that I am not alone.  Good luck to everyone!  If anyone is interested, I will be out on Flint pond on tues.  Can't wait to try my new shanty (early x-mas present to myself) and catch some fish!!! :)

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2005, 10:56 AM »
Bumps - What kind of shanty did you get? Frabill? Shapell? Also, Is Flint Pond the one on rte 20 in Shrewsbury?
Thanks!

Offline bumps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2005, 11:19 AM »
Porter, yes, Flint pond is on route 20 in shrewsbury.  There is a boat ramp with good access to it right by the ols edgmere diner.  Stay to the left of the boat ramp, the ice is still thin to the right because of the current.  I got the Eskimo Quick Fish III, it is very portable only about 23lbs, comes in a backpack style bag and sets up in under a minute.  It is pretty big too, 70x70x80 I think.  It was also pretty inexpensive ($200 with shipping)

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2005, 01:05 PM »
Snooze you loose

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2005, 01:13 PM »
I also think that it is good to check for blood/weeds but if you see some one there then i wouldnt go right next to them to set-up. Old holes=fair game in my book.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2005, 01:14 PM »
I never use old holes....even if there is blood and weeds next to them. Just a personal preference.....but I actually like "FRESH" ice.....
Maybe that explains why I suck at icefishing........... :%$#!:

By the way, if anyone even thinks of moving in on the Goatboy honey holes, your dead meat. :flex:

Mugz you only 0-2 the season has just started, let's see that old school Mugz offense.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2005, 01:41 PM »
I love Mugz the Thugz..... Old holes = more light coming through = attract baitfish = Porter redrilling them and catching lots of fishies = Mugz setting up shop on the opposite end of the lake!

Porter is that an old Linguica wives tail??? The more light = more bait???

GOOD ONE!!!!! :roflmao:
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2005, 02:08 PM »
Mugz,
   First off, it's not Linguica wive's tail, it's chourico wive's tail! And I meant to say bud light = more bait. The more bud light i bring, the more bait I buy! - Porter

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2005, 02:21 PM »
 :roflmao: :thumbsup: :roflmao:
-Frank Zappa

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2005, 02:25 PM »
Porter-(John),

I welcome you to come wash you hands in one of my old holes any day.  In fact, I'll even warm the water up for yah!

Don't make me send Mugz after yah! :o

And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2005, 06:41 PM »
Unless you got a deed, badge, or green sleaves don't tell me where to fish.    ;)

See ya on the ice ----- and don't be in my spot (kidd'n)
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline pointer103

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you can't take winter you don't deserve summer.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2005, 07:23 PM »
We're all out there to catch fish and have good time.
Ice fishing is a great social sport that brings a lot of people together for a days outing.
Having somebody come up to you and insist that your on "his" spot had better bring along a deed from the town....
Another thing, harassment while your engaged in a legal hunting or fishing activity is against the law in Massachusetts and can bring a fine, jail time, or both. Exorcise your rights, but don't start a fight.
I always welcome anyone to join me, I've met a lot of great people on the ice.

Lee
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". John Wayne

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Good Doggie' until you can find a rock". Will Rogers

Offline nemachuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:52 PM »
Since we are on the topic of etiquette.....  When you see someone, other than yourself and not the people u are fishing with, has a flag how long do u wait to tell them?  I usually play it as if I see their flag is up I see if they notice it first. If after about 10 to 15 seconds they haven't noticed it yet I will yell to them.  There is nothing I can not stand more is people yelling to me right when it goes up, and i mean the flag is still moving.  Thats half the fun seeing the flag yourself.  Always appreciated if its been up for a bit and I didn't see it.  What you all think?

As to a fishing spot its first come first serve.  And if someone is in ur spot u should have gotten there earlier!!!!  Also there is no reason to be a jerk and crowd someone just because they got ur spot.  Almost always some where else to try.  And so brings another etiquette question.... How close is to close to someones tip up?  I go by no closer than 10yds if there are a lot of people on the ice and if its just u and a few others I say minimum 15yds usually 20yds.   Give people room!  What everyone else's idea?

Offline weedeater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2005, 02:42 PM »
When you see someone, other than yourself and not the people u are fishing with, has a flag how long do u wait to tell them? 

Excellent question.  I get irritated by flag hawks too!

Most people we'll give at least 30 seconds to a minute to notice they have a flag, depending upon how far away they are or how close their tip up is to us or how the action has been.  If we notice someone hasn't caught a fish all day and there haven't been many flags, we might tell them a lot sooner.     

Unless that is we deem they're an idiot(s) then we just make bets on how long it will take them to notice that they have a flag.

Offline Crazy-Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:27 AM »
Being a guy who jigs constantly,alot of times I'm not paying attention to the tips.So I appreciate someone yelling tip-up or what ever to let me know.And when I see one I just yell and point unless I see someone running for it.
If it was that easy,everyone would do it!

Offline abbeys shanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2005, 02:35 PM »
First on...... First hole..... I usually give the 20 to 30 yard buffer.  I had a guy last winter drill a hole 15 ft from one of my tips.  :%$#!: Sorry about your Tip-up  it must have been a huge fish to pull it through the hole like that :D.  Oh well.  Hey Bumps- Nice new shanty I got the same one for X-mas.  Can't wait to break it out on the ice.  Made the mistake of opening it in my livingroom.  Not a good idea.  Bottom line give me some space and I will give you space.  The ice is for all to enjoy. :tipup:
Whats cooler than cool??  ICE COLD!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.