The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Signs you are from New York  (Read 5556 times)

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Signs you are from New York
« on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:40 AM »
You say "the city" and expect everyone to know that this means Manhattan.

You secretly envy cabbies for their driving skill.

You have never been to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building.

You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus Circle to Battery Park at 3:30 on the Friday before a long weekend, but can't find Wisconsin on a map.

The homeless are invisible.

The subway makes sense.

The subway should never be called anything prissy, like the Metro.

You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multilingual.

You think $7.00 to cross a bridge is a fair price.

You've considered stabbing someone just for saying "The Big Apple".

Your door has more than three locks.

You go to a hockey game for the fighting. In the stands. To participate.

Your favorite movie has DeNiro in it.

The most frequently used part of your car is the horn.

You consider eye contact an act of overt aggression.

You call an 8' x 10' plot of patchy grass a yard.

You complain about having to mow it.

You are a skee-ball juggernaut.

You consider Westchester "Upstate".

You cried the day Ed Koch took over for Judge Wapner.

Offline tucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Signs you are from New York
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:40 AM »
you forgot about our hillary, get it right next time  ;)
in the heart of tax and spend NY

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Yeah - sorry!
You can have her!!!
Wonder if she likes ice fishing - from what I hear she's a cold, wet fish to begin with  ;D

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2005, 10:08 AM »
Most people I know do not like NYC and personally wouldn't mind giving it to New Jersey since NJ is one big paved parking lot any ways.  ;)2
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2005, 11:12 AM »
Most people I know do not like NYC and personally wouldn't mind giving it to New Jersey since NJ is one big paved parking lot any ways.  ;)2
NYC is New York's only Downfall, But I guess we Can't be Perfect in Everything We do.. 8)

mainegator

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:03 PM »
Haaaa  Good Neww Yorker post.  Be careful about the Hillary, we got a pair of Rino's up here that have simular traits about some things.  And I know neither of those "ice cubes" fish.  I know how to "thaw" those babes out.....  get them on the "Man Show"    ;D ;D

You forgot one thing, every NY plate I see up here is a rear plate and they ALWAYS drive in the left lane.  I swear I've never seen one just doing the speed limit, but quite a few in the break down lane with a "Statie" parked behind them.  Haaaaa   :clap:     

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:22 PM »
Forgot One...

When you get a guy from Maine who posts an overcirculated chain-letter type email bashing NY but doesnt have the cahones to post it in the NY forum.  :cookoo:

O yeah one more....

You know your from NY when your gonna clean house in the 2006 Ice Shanty Online Tournament.  :whistle:

THERE, now your little list is complete. 

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:30 PM »
NYC is New York's only Downfall, But I guess we Can't be Perfect in Everything We do.. 8)
True...but keep trying...

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2005, 02:19 PM »
back license plate will do followin the other tourists.............. .really good luck guys....... ;D
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:55 PM »
YOU KNOW YOUR FROM NEW YORK WHEN

you piss and moan about MAINE'S  icefishing b/c you wish you had it as good.

you shoot someones dog thinking is was a coyote

you shoot someones goat thinking it was a deer

you shoot someones horse thinking it was a moose

going to the woods means going to central park

and seeing animals in the wild means that you have to ride the subway over to the bronx to go to the zoo to see the wild animals in their NATURAL ENVIRONMENT

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:12 PM »
Haha you guys are too funny. The only thing you people dont get liek the rest of this country, is that NY is not NYC. I dont think there are any New York Iceshanty members that area actually from NYC. Your jokes have nothing to do with Us New YOrkers :) WE DONT CARE ABOUT NYC.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Jig Master

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:14 PM »
 Hey Mainegator,
 you arent kidding about them rihnos, man could you imagine waking up next to them in the morning.It would be enough to make a man give up drinking

Jig master   :woot:

mainegator

« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:22 PM »
Freshbait,

I think they got the other half of the "Hillary thing" holed up there in the Bronx or maybe Harlem also.  I went to NY just once, got rolled for my "life savings" there.  At least up here I could have "unlimbered" my "9" and made the impression that that weren't gona happen.
I think there ought to be a "corridor" thru that state so we could get to the rest of the world with going "thru" NY!!   :o
Hey HOOD, excellent "handle", need I say no more :whistle:

Fishingking, can't we have a little fun, hell we'll let you talk about
Ogunquit or York Beach if you like :sick: :sick:

Offline scottly0

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicken Little
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:52 PM »
Yeah right the Ogunquit Goat Boys.

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2005, 10:10 PM »
YOU KNOW YOUR FROM NEW YORK WHEN

you piss and moan about MAINE'S  icefishing b/c you wish you had it as good.

you shoot someones dog thinking is was a coyote

you shoot someones goat thinking it was a deer

you shoot someones horse thinking it was a moose

going to the woods means going to central park

and seeing animals in the wild means that you have to ride the subway over to the bronx to go to the zoo to see the wild animals in their NATURAL ENVIRONMENT

lets keep on track here  FISHING NOT HUNTING thankyou.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2005, 10:16 PM »

Hey HOOD, excellent "handle", need I say no more :whistle:

HUH? 1st grade is the last door on the left, thats <<< way. BTW....gators live in florida, not maine. You may be thinking of Pike, they are a fish, not a reptile....you learn about them in 2nd grade...thats after 1st grade and on the right side of the hall, you only get one guess which way right is.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2005, 10:21 PM »
you can have all the fun u want thats all im doing is having fun  None of this talk bothers me one bit. I wont be the one crying in the end :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2005, 10:46 PM »
Fishingking's got the idea. I dont get why they keep pushing the new york city thing, nobody from the STATE of NY gives a crap.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2005, 05:04 AM »
Fishingking's got the idea. I dont get why they keep pushing the new york city thing, nobody from the STATE of NY gives a crap.

ya think it might be because everytime we say NYC on of the NY boys jumps in in a hurry to remind us that it is not part of new york...sounds just like new york, spelled the same but apparently its a different place. gotta take the good with the bad...guys...anyway i did a mapquest search and i got bad news for all of you...new york is in new york

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2005, 05:49 AM »
NOOO. its an Island called manhattan in the hudson river.

Offline MikeMunn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2005, 07:54 AM »
You know you're from upstate NY when you consider yellow perch a "game fish"!  We use those for pike bait here in Maine..LOL   By the way, I grew up in Cortland, NY....and I'll always refer to it as my hometown. Some of the best people in the world live up at that way.  After 10 years here in Maine though, I gotta say that the fishing in Maine is MUCH better.  That being said, the pizza and hot Italian sausage you boys enjoy upstate is better than anything I can find here.  So after a cold day of jigging up those yellow perch, enjoy a cold Genesse with a big slice of pizza.  I'll be filleting a trout to enjoy with my Gritty's "Old Thumper".

Offline Lindz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "And the whistle is screaming, terrapin."
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:11 AM »
So after a cold day of jigging up those yellow perch, enjoy a cold Genesse with a big slice of pizza.  I'll be filleting a trout to enjoy with my Gritty's "Old Thumper".

Genny's an icon you have not forgotten about - being from New York  ;)

But you need to live a while longer in Maine to learn that you will not be enjoying a Gritty's "Old Thumper" with those fillets ;D

&                               

mainegator

« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2005, 12:55 PM »
HUH? 1st grade is the last door on the left, thats <<< way. BTW....gators live in florida, not maine. You may be thinking of Pike, they are a fish, not a reptile....you learn about them in 2nd grade...thats after 1st grade and on the right side of the hall, you only get one guess which way right is.

Hey, Hood,
Any chance you're the "hood" that "borrowed" my life saving........  a few years ago??   :-* :-*

O' you are so wrong about the "gator" thing.  All our pike and muskie are so big, many of us refer to them as "gators".  Of course it's obvious you can't figure that out, so you need to go back the "Head Start" ..............   straight down the hall and don't turn left or right, you might get lost!!! :D :D

I noticed on the NY site, some of you boys got a little nasty about our "sisters" and "breastfeeding"
and other little "funnies"..........  com-on can't you do better than that???

you know they are from NY if their mouth is bigger than their "wal-nuts"  ;D ;D ;D

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2005, 03:05 PM »
if I were to get technical about the whole Manhatten thing being on the hudson river, well actually its surrounded by the hudson, east river and the harlem river, I would know  I spent some time down there protecting that forsaken $#^%%$ whole of a city. 

Offline ilikepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if the fish arnt hitting eat venison
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2005, 06:49 PM »
wow freshbait getting kinda pissed over nothing arnt we.i just wish i could could bring my house out on the lake but mines not on trailer
hows your big fat sucker

Offline ilikepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if the fish arnt hitting eat venison
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2005, 06:52 PM »
just kidding dont take it personal tiss a nice shanty what size trailer do u have that on?man u guys r getting kinda uptite over this maine new york thing arnt ya? :-\ :-\
hows your big fat sucker

Offline Niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2005, 09:25 PM »
Haha you guys are too funny. The only thing you people dont get liek the rest of this country, is that NY is not NYC. I dont think there are any New York Iceshanty members that area actually from NYC. Your jokes have nothing to do with Us New YOrkers :) WE DONT CARE ABOUT NYC.

IS ANYONE REALLY "FROM" NYC?  IT IS THE MELTING POT OF THE WORLD.    Like no one is from Florida.  they're all transplants from other states.

I work here in maine with a girl that was raised in queens and moved here after 42 years in the burbs.  For some reason none of us can figure out why the hell she's so angry??  She operates on the premise that she's gonna screw you before you screw her???  I don't get it.

My brother in law was stationed up at Ft. Drum for 6 years.  I spent some time flyfishing, hunting and ice fishing the adirondacks......like out north country it's "gods country"

I won't dispute it.

Offline Tautog Rich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2005, 09:34 PM »
LOVE upstate New York. HATE New Yuck City. BTW---NJ USED to be all farmland until the Yukkers(city folk) came and turned it into malls and condos. I was VERY careful when I moved to maine to buy an already established older home and basically live like I USED to when I lived on the farm I grew up on in Jersey. Folks her have been extra kind and somehow, somweway, they adopted my sorry behind and made me feel like I finally came home. One day, I was at work (yep, no more executive crap) at the hardware store, and some guy was giving me a hard time. He leaves, and a local says to me: "calm down Rich, he was just a worthless Flatland so-and so." I looked at him and say, "well, I ain't exactly from here, either." He looks down at his feet and then looks up smiling, "well, your heart is from around here, and besides, we like you though we're still not sure why(grins WILDLY)."  I just about melt...I have felt like, well....HOME, ever since.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2005, 08:47 AM »
Na not getting upset ilikepike,  nothing like a good rivalry.   But I doo hate that city,   way to many people in one place and every one is in a hurry to get some where,   and the filth.  My whole thing about being technical was just me being a smart @$$$$$ b/c I've been around that whole island probably a thousand times,  parked out front of the U.N.,  back and forth from battery park up to the holland tunnel,  and a few other I can't mention.  lets just have some fun..

I'll get some pics of my ice condo posted for ya ilikepike.

8x10' trailer

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2005, 03:57 PM »
I hear what you're saying about New York City!! My wife and I were watching "The Apprentice" and looking at NYC, you couldn't pay me enough to live there.. I mean it!! If I got offered a million a month, I would turn it down if I had to live in NYC to get it..

Upstate NY is totally different. I spent some time in the fingerlakes region and around Rochester, nice area, nice folks... alot like Maine.

But the fishing wasn't as good.. ;D
Scott Wright

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.