Author Topic: line coils  (Read 946 times)

Offline 1timothy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
line coils
« on: Feb 15, 2014, 05:38 PM »
how to fix line coils   i change line    buddy said it cause the cold we had    and i am using ice line with spinning reel

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: line coils
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Use an inline reel or if you have a spinning reel, put cheap line backing on it until you are about 3/4 full, then tie in your ice line and fill the spool.  Be sure when spooling your are not putting twist in your line and adding the backing will keep the coils larger than if you don't have any backing on there.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:06 PM »
i like to use proline (green/black) box. its a braid. 10 lb test, 2 pound diameter. i use it for everything. gills, perch, im on erie now using it and havin no problems. it was very minimal line twist, and no problems with loose coil. best stuff i have used in my opinion. but as wax has said, in line reels are just killer!
Got one goin'!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Twisting and coil memory are two differnet things. For coil memory some lines are much better at staying limp... That being said, most line can need a little stretch at times. I just hook to something on my clam that won't damage my hook point, walk away letting the line out until I have more line out than the depth I will be fishing and gently pull it tight and give it a good stretch! With mono, you can get a good feel for the line and its condition this way, also if there are any nicks or bad knots, it's better to break them now then on a fish. If that does not straiten your line out its time to replace it. There are products on the market (like a spray) that claim to help, but I have not used them and line is not that expensive and I try to always have good line on my reel.

Offline fishogger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2014, 06:01 PM »
i let most of my spool out the window while on the highway. that stretches the kinks out real good. lol

i haveread you can soak spool in warm water to relieve memory. i have never tried it though.
got grease?

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2014, 06:14 PM »
Personally I like some kink or coil in my lines.  But I have at least a two foot leader tied on the end.   The coils and kinks are my strike indicator.  When the line starts to straighten out, I set the hook.  To each is own and I think they're much more sensitive than spring bobbers.

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Twisting and coil memory are two differnet things. For coil memory some lines are much better at staying limp... That being said, most line can need a little stretch at times. I just hook to something on my clam that won't damage my hook point, walk away letting the line out until I have more line out than the depth I will be fishing and gently pull it tight and give it a good stretch! With mono, you can get a good feel for the line and its condition this way, also if there are any nicks or bad knots, it's better to break them now then on a fish. If that does not straiten your line out its time to replace it. There are products on the market (like a spray) that claim to help, but I have not used them and line is not that expensive and I try to always have good line on my reel.

What He Said!
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2014, 11:30 PM »
I have in the past had a very light bite and after getting the lure to the depth that I want with my straitened line, I grab a bit and give it a pinch, giving me a very fine strike indicator, with out the "extra" inches of coiled line...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.