Author Topic: Steuben County Lakes Clear/Snow/George and Big Turkey  (Read 942 times)

Offline Yogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Fished snow on friday in the bay. We had about 3 inches of good ice with about 2 of snow ice.  It was a pretty slow morning.  I brought home 17 gills fishing from about 730 till 11.  Does anybody know the ice conditions on Big Turkey or Clear lake and how everybody is doing.  Can somebody also tell me where people park at Silver Lake.

Thanks
Yogi

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They're biting by that guy over there!!
Re: Steuben County Lakes Clear/Snow/George and Big Turkey
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2005, 03:10 PM »
If its silver lake in Angola, you kinda have to park off the side of the road by the little white church. Do not park in the church parking lot,for thy will get mad. Im not sure of the road name there...hopefully this will help a little.   take care      JP   

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Steuben County Lakes Clear/Snow/George and Big Turkey
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2005, 06:29 PM »
I went to Silver Lake this morning, was on the ice at 7:30 and left at 11:00.  The fish were being marked in water as shallow as 5 feet and as deep as 16 feet, mainly within a foot or so of the bottom with occasional fish suspended about 8 feet down in the deeper water, I would assume the suspended fish were crappie.  The fish had lockjaw, I only caught one fish, and had 2 other small hits.  A guy from work who always catches fish there only had 3 keepers when I left, I don't mind the cold but when its in the single digits,with gusting wind, no shelter for warmth, no fish to show, and on 2.5 hours of sleep, its just not the most comfortable or ideal conditions for me.  Last year we killed the gills along with a bunch of crappie up there, but that was closer to late ice when we caught those.  Will try back up there again using some info I obtained, hopefully next time the fish will cooperate.

By the way I parked at the little white church along with about a half dozen other vehicles, I really don't think they care if you park there as long as it isn't on a Sunday.  I could see them getting upset if they come in for church Sunday morning and all 20 parking spots are taken up by people out fishing who have no affiliation with the church.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.