Author Topic: HT Arctic Bay Polar Tip Up  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Cold toes

• Team IceShanty Regular
HT Arctic Bay Polar Tip Up
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Anyone have any experience with these? I like the polar styles but I don't like how low they sit on the ice. I'm mostly curious about the durability of these.

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: HT Arctic Bay Polar Tip Up
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:15 AM »
They look pretty nice.  Seem to solve the low flag issue with conventional polars.  I run HT Arctic fires quite often and they are very strong, especially when compared to the older orange or black polars.  They should be as durable as any wooden tip-up, don't hit them with the spud.  I'd buy a couple, let us know how you like them.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:58 AM »
I've seen them used, and they do ok. The problem is they trip really easy, and there isn't much you can do to change that. I would much rather have a jack trap if you like that style.
-Tom

Offline Cold toes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2014, 02:46 PM »
The reason I'm looking at these is because i mostly fish shallow water 2-7 feet and I like the orientation of the reel on the polar style so they can run in any direction.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:03 PM »
I've wondered how jack trap styles will do with less ice. When the ice is 3' thick, the hole acts as a guide, and it doesn't matter. When the ice is 6" thick, I can see some tangles happening. The HT Arctic bay seems to be good quality. Bait under 6" should be no problem, any bigger, and you may need some modifications. If you just want you tip up visible, you can attach a dowel to a regular tip up easy.
-Tom

Offline GooseBay Hippie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2014, 02:18 PM »
They work fine... Nothing beats wood though as far as durability. And nothing beats wood cross and fold flat tip-ups. IMHO.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.