The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: You have got to be kidding(new g&f rule)  (Read 11781 times)

Offline wyoeyes!

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: You have got to be kidding(new g&f rule)
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:15 AM »
I have foul hooked more trout using a dropper fly than I care to mention. They going to outlaw that method too?

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:55 AM »
Just what we need, MORE RULES! And the G&F wonders why there are fewer people fishing. But to the point, if the fish was going after the bead and is foul hooked and released, WHO CARES! This is entirely different than someone with a weighed treble hook or a streamer trying to foul hook trout on a redd. I call B.S. on this one.

wyoeyes:

Sounds like you should go visit your local fly fishing stores/guiding shops and ask them why they brought up the issue and are pushing for the enforcement of the pegged bead method as snagging.   The conversation would be interesting.

ClearCreek

Offline wyoeyes!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:16 AM »
I am sure they had good intentions. I just wonder where it will end and when does common sense enter rule making. There seems to be very little voice for the warm water fisheries in Wyoming. I suppose I need to spend more time reading the proposed rules and voicing my opinion before it happens rather than ranting on ice shanty.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:43 AM »
I am sure they had good intentions. I just wonder where it will end and when does common sense enter rule making. There seems to be very little voice for the warm water fisheries in Wyoming. I suppose I need to spend more time reading the proposed rules and voicing my opinion before it happens rather than ranting on ice shanty.

Ranting is not a bad thing, I think we just need to know where or at whom we should be ranting!

ClearCreek

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 17, 2014, 11:10 AM »
 ;D

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:54 AM »
in my experiance, trout will slam there bodies up againest a lure either by missing the lure or on purpose, either way i have hooked trout not in the mouth, but i have never purposely tried to snag a fish but it does happen. i dont think this law is all that thought out, like a lot of things in the world fish are unpredictable.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 18, 2014, 12:18 PM »
I talked with one of the Lander biologists about this. The key word is "pegged bead". I too was concerned about it unintentionally including harnesses for walleye, but free-floating beads are not pegged beads, therefore legal. As far as droppers snagging fish, that is unintentional snagging, therefore legal as long as you don't keep the fish. A pegged bead is 100% intentional. Whether or not you snag it in the mouth or in the side it's still snagging, the fish never took the hook in its mouth willingly.
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline fishsqueezer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 18, 2014, 03:09 PM »
An important point to understand here is that this references a Wyoming statute, which is a law passed by the Wyoming Legislature.  There is a big difference between a statute and a Game and Fish Regulation, which is passed by the Game and Fish Commission. 
In this case, many of you appear to think this is some new law that was just adopted by the Game and Fish, when in fact it is State law that has been in place for many years. 

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:52 AM »
I would be curious what the Wyoming statute or regulation is, and how it is worded that states that I cannot fish with this rig.  I think the statute that actually would apply would be that I cannot keep a foul snagged fish and it must be immediately released.  Is this another smokescreen that was thrown up by a special interest group or is this an actual law ?  Can someone please quote the Wyoming statute ?

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 20, 2014, 04:39 PM »
 ;D

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:53 PM »
I would be curious what the Wyoming statute or regulation is, and how it is worded that states that I cannot fish with this rig.  I think the statute that actually would apply would be that I cannot keep a foul snagged fish and it must be immediately released.  Is this another smokescreen that was thrown up by a special interest group or is this an actual law ?  Can someone please quote the Wyoming statute ?

Wyoming Statute:

23-3-201. Fishing tackle; designation of waters for setline fishing; taking fish with firearm prohibited; snagging; penalties.

(e) No person shall snag any fish of Wyoming except as specifically authorized by the commission. For purposes of this subsection, "snag" means attempting to take a fish in such a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth.

I bolded the part of the statute that deals with snagging.

ClearCreek

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #41 on: Feb 21, 2014, 07:47 AM »
Wyoming Statute:

23-3-201. Fishing tackle; designation of waters for setline fishing; taking fish with firearm prohibited; snagging; penalties.

(e) No person shall snag any fish of Wyoming except as specifically authorized by the commission. For purposes of this subsection, "snag" means attempting to take a fish in such a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth.

I bolded the part of the statute that deals with snagging.

ClearCreek

Wait a minute, when did this change? ;)

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 21, 2014, 08:26 AM »
Wait a minute, when did this change? ;)

Matt R.

Please don't start!! ;D

ClearCreek

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 21, 2014, 01:58 PM »
Thanks ClearCreek for the quote.  I do not plan to fish with a rig like that but was curious if there was an actual law written pertaining to it.

Offline Bottombouncer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 23, 2014, 07:54 PM »
I don't see this written anywhere in the 2013/2014 fishing regs so I guess it doesn't pertain to me. If I was an out of state resident how would I know?

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 23, 2014, 08:23 PM »
I don't see this written anywhere in the 2013/2014 fishing regs so I guess it doesn't pertain to me. If I was an out of state resident how would I know?

By the ticket they give you???   :whistle:

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 23, 2014, 09:07 PM »

Bottombouncer:

There is no such thing as 2013-2014 fishing regs.  The fishing regulation cycle in Wyoming is for two years and starts with the even numbered year.  So you were either looking at the 2012-2013 fishing regs or the 2014-2015 fishing regs.

Did you miss this at the bottom right hand corner of page 5 of the 2014-2015 Wyoming Fishing Regulations:

Snag
means attempting to take a fish in a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth.

This taken directly from Wyoming Statute 23-3-201 (e).

ClearCreek

Offline bp4ester

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 25, 2014, 08:48 AM »
its a lot easier on the fish to allow this.  They will not inhale the hook and makes a much better catch and release.  If the true reason was to snag the hook would be much bigger and the egg wouldn't be needed.  G&F BS

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 25, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Doesn't matter what your opinion is on what is better for the fish really....what matters is the law and how it is written.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #49 on: Feb 25, 2014, 06:06 PM »
   Just because it's law doesn't necessarrily mean it's right!

Offline WYcoyote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 25, 2014, 07:11 PM »
You have to ask the fish if he swallowed the hook on purpose or by accident.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 25, 2014, 07:32 PM »
 ;D

Offline pike_fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 25, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Good thing you guys don't have paddlefish in Wyoming, as I don't think that the G&F would know what to do with themselves.  I wish that the would take some time and make the fishing regulation book a touch more user friendly.
Fishing, the best stress management seminar for the money!

Offline wyopro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 25, 2014, 07:57 PM »
The Game & Fish announced a meeting to discuss TROUT BEADS, this WED March 3rd at 7:00 pm. It will be held @ the Game & Fish Office, 3030 Energy Lane. Game wardens and fishery biologists working the North Platte River plan to attend.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 25, 2014, 08:44 PM »
The Game & Fish announced a meeting to discuss TROUT BEADS, this WED March 3rd at 7:00 pm. It will be held @ the Game & Fish Office, 3030 Energy Lane. Game wardens and fishery biologists working the North Platte River plan to attend.

wyopro:

Do you plan on attending?  If so will you report what is discussed here?

ClearCreek

Offline emholden

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 25, 2014, 09:07 PM »
I heard the meeting has been changed to Monday morning at 7:00 a.m.  Guessing the G&F doesn't want much public input!
Eat, Sleep, Teach, Get Outdoors!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 25, 2014, 09:18 PM »
What is interesting is this picture was posted around the 12th on G&F facebook page.  Their reply was they would look into it but we keep asking and not getting any answers. 

what the heck is up?
Don

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 25, 2014, 09:42 PM »
Good thing you guys don't have paddlefish in Wyoming, as I don't think that the G&F would know what to do with themselves.  I wish that the would take some time and make the fishing regulation book a touch more user friendly.

Pike -

If Wyoming had paddlefish G&F would probably allow snagging for that species in the areas where they located - just like Montana does. 

Here is Montana's definition of snagging [note couplet (a) is just like Wyoming's snagging definition] :

SNAGGING: A technique of angling in which a hook or hooks are cast, trolled or lowered
into the water and manipulated to embed the hook or hooks into the body of the fish. You have
snagged a fish if: (a) you are fishing in a manner that the fish does not voluntarily take the hook
in its mouth, or (b) if you accidentally hook the fish in a part of the body other than the mouth.

ClearCreek

Offline wyopro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:07 PM »
wyopro:

Do you plan on attending?  If so will you report what is discussed here?

ClearCreek

If I can make it I will.  There is a group planning on car pooling from Laramie, WY to attend.  The meeting is scheduled for Monday, March 3rd at 7 p.m.

Offline emholden

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 26, 2014, 08:43 AM »
Wyopro is correct, I just called the Casper office and the meeting is scheduled for Monday night at 7. I hope all that have an interest in this regulation can attend.
Eat, Sleep, Teach, Get Outdoors!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.