Author Topic: round tip ups Frabill vs HT  (Read 5717 times)

Offline bz

• IceShanty Rookie
round tip ups Frabill vs HT
« on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:41 PM »
I saw this same thread from 2011 but wanted to get an update on peoples opinions since new products and designs are out there.  I have 2 of the 2011 yellow Frabill pro therms and really like them except for the short flag.  This year I bought 3 black ones with flag extensions but am having issues.  The flag extension doesn't seem to be very durable.  the flag doesn't stay in the position i set it.  It falls downward and can freeze to the ice.  There is a hole for the flag extension post but when i put the post in the hole the flag shaft isn't under the plastic arm and wants to keep raising on its own.  Also the shaft is now centered in the tip up.  My yellow 2011 frabills has the shaft offset so even when the shaft is all the way down it can still fold up.  They have corroded but that doesn't matter because I can still fold them up the new black style will not fold up if the shaft corrodes.
Has anyone had corrosion issues with the shafts of the new black tipups or any of the other issues I have encountered?  I see HT polar has round tip ups and was thinking of getting some of them.  what are your thoughts on the new Frabills compared to the HT polar therm extreme?

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: round tip ups Frabill vs HT
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:26 PM »
I've used both the basic frabill pro thermal (owned it for a few days) and a borrowed ht polar therm. I would have to say for my fishing, they were the worst tip ups. I can see how some would like them, especially the guys who don't like to mess around and just get a line in the water. The #1 problem I had was it freezing in. It kept the hole clear better than nothing, but once frozen in, its done. I left mine out for an hour or two (cold day, too lazy to check on it) and it froze in. My only option was to destroy the base to get the rest out. I just used the parts to build a new one from wood. I also hated the tiny spool, and tiny flag. Most tip up flags are fine, but this one was honestly like 6" tall at best. The other problem was not seeing which way the fish was going. Not too big a deal, but it would makes things harder. The HT was better especially a nice tall flag. Overall it was much smoother pulling. Plus they are cheaper. No tackle box junk, no styrofoam, just a simple tip up. It had an extending flag with a slider that connected the two pieces. It felt kind of weak, but it still works. Not my first choice of trap, but it got the job done. I would much prefer a standard tip up with a hole cover. My favorite (besides my home made ones) is a frabill bigfoot. Really tall flag, wood base, big metal spool, you can see if the fish is moving from far away, and you can see down the hole. If you ask me, it is about as perfect as a tip up comes. If you want a super smooth tip up for walleye or other fish, a beaver dam is hard to beat. If you like them cheaper, the HT polar II is a great one.
-Tom

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:22 AM »
I think the key to them is to pack snow around them. Yeah you can't see witch way the fish goes, but when it is nasty cold out these do what you want. Yes you still need to tend them though. They have their place in my arsonal. I have polar wood ones too. Nice days I prefer them.
Gator Nation

Offline psycoiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:01 PM »
I use HT polar therms and as long as you circle them with some snow you should have no problem with them freezing in.

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:53 PM »
They both suck...... snowmobiles cant see them. I like to be able to see where my trap line is. They are ok if your fishing in about 3 ft. of water.. they have about a 2 inch reel on em. haha.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2014, 02:10 PM »
I have only caught 2 fish on Tip ups ever, and only use them a couple times a year.  But have yet to catch anything on the rounds ones, but they do fit in the bucket nicely.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Fits perfect in a five gallon bucket.  I used mine yesterday and a wooden polar. Had to bust the hole quite a few times with the wooden one. The thermals did what they were supposed to do. I do wish they were better quality on the mechanical parts. I was thinking on seeing if I can inprove mine a bit.
Gator Nation

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2014, 03:59 PM »
I've been fishing round Frabill tip ups all season and I do actually like them. If they get frozen in I just give them a light boot and they're free. They've also been outfishing the stick tip ups I've been using since I started ice fishing to.

Offline cjfohl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Itd be nice if they would start making the shafts longer so you could lift them up a little to chip out. I use to use them and after breaking a few I started using just the HT polar tip ups. I cut a 12" circle out of a black gasketing material and haven't had any trouble with them freezing in even with below zero weather. I don't know why they don't freeze in at night, but i haven't had one froze in all year. :tipup:
It's all about the girth!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:15 AM »
With a hole cover on a regular tip up, even if they freeze in, you can just take the cover off.
-Tom

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:44 AM »
hole covers sound like a great idea! The right stick tip up and a good hole cover can be the best of both worlds.

Offline cjfohl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2014, 12:05 PM »
they work good. If the sun is out and the temperture is zero or lower you'll still collect enough heat to minimize the freezing.
It's all about the girth!

Offline Dakota Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fisherman walk on water
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:50 PM »
I only own the Frabil thermals and they work fine. I have a 10" auger so they slide in and fit perfect, have yet to have one freeze in.

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:27 PM »
Frabill, for no other reason than the other option is made by HT.
Fishing gear rule #1: never under any circumstance buy or use anything that is made by a company beginning with the letters HT, Q or Z.  Ever.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Its funny you say that. While most of HT's stuff is low end, in this case it out performs the Frabill. And thats coming from someone who likes Frabill. BTW if your ever looking to do repairs to anything (home, vehicle, etc.) do not use a company that uses EZ instead of easy. ;D
-Tom

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:28 AM »
I have 6 for the frabill thermals and have some corrosion on 2 of the shafts but other then that im happy I also have 4 of the extended flags put some snow around the base and sit inside ive left them out for a long time in well below 0 conditions and haven't had to destroy 1 yet to get it out but it has to be sealed

Offline bz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:09 PM »
osiris
Do you have the frabills with the shaft in the center?  the ones I have are offset.  They have corroded and I can't move the shaft. If that  happens on the ones  with the shaft in the center they won't stack because the spool will be outside of the plastic when trying to close them.

Alot of people on here talk about the tip ups freezing.  I can see how that would happen but I have never had it happen.  Not even when temps are below 0 and I don't check for 3 hours.  I also don't pack snow around them.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:37 PM »
I think sun has a lot to do with it. I've notice with my black hole covers, they will stay open on a sunny -10 (plenty of those this year) day, but freeze on a cloudy 20 degree day.
-Tom

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2014, 09:38 PM »
HT polar therms all the way.  Same diameter as the Frabill so they go into the bucket perfectly but much better IMO.  Has an extentable flag so it is very easy to see from a long distance or in heavy snow.  I have some of each and would never buy a Frabill again.  Don't like the black HT's but the orange ones I love. :tipup:

Offline GooseBay Hippie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2014, 03:07 PM »
6 of one half dozen of the other. People trash talk HT, really 90% of the time HT is just as good. It's mostly just p***ing contest of who payed more.
Personally I hate the round tipups. They are bulkier and clumsier than any other. Harder to store unless you want to waste a bucket that only has room for a few tip-ups and they are hard to see. Round tip-ups tend to be expensive as well. Any tip-up over $15 is not worth it to me.Polar tip-ups have their advantages but are also clumsy and bulky. Really the tradittional cross and fold flats are the perfect tip-up. Cheap, reliable, easy to store, and with a little snow your hole doesn't freeze all the same. Remeber the K.I.S.S. rule.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.