New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake George perchin' thread  (Read 158429 times)

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake George perchin' thread
« Reply #90 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:54 PM »

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #91 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Way to go bigfish....    :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:59 PM »
All the time I've spent jigging perch on that lake.... No crappie... EVER.  :-\
That may be as big of an accomplishment as icing a salmon on that lake. Well done man!
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Nice haul . I didn't even see the crappie . Nice job

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Yeah got excited for a moment as soon as I drilled the hole was marking a pile of fish like 3 feet thick and the crappie was first thing up, then I proceeded to catch probably 30 sunnies and mabey 8-9 perch no more crappie.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #95 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:45 PM »
those craps stay pretty elusive,2 is the most i'v caught in 1 day on lg

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #96 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Bigfish nice haul. :clap: :clap: 2 weeks ago I caught a little 6in crappie it's the second one I have caught in the past 15 years.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Feb 18, 2014, 04:37 AM »
Nice catch Bigfish  :bow: All the years I've fished out there I've only caught 1 crappie.Congrats on a nice day.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:55 AM »
Same with the bass on LG, very few people keep them and we are seeing lots of small ones under 12". I think they are over-protected and would like the see them open during the winter like they are on some of the Finger Lakes.
Bass are probably the worst case when it comes to catch and release. Most bass fishermen I know never keep a single fish,I'm guilty of it myself. There are some nice bass in Lake George, but you continually have to fight through the small ones. I agree JJ.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:57 AM »
There are certainly plenty of perch in the KING and no need to throw them back for conservation sake.  Drop the aquaview down on some of the grassbeds and you'll be amazed at how many are swimming around.  I keep em 8" and up and always fish for my limit of 50.  Using the 6" blade on my electric knife I find the 8-9" males very easy to filet.  I always thought it was funny during years when the lake didn't freeze how people would say, "Wait til next year and the perch will all be big because there was no fishing pressure".  Never happens ;D  There the same size every year no matter how much ice we get or don't get so might as well keep em and eat em :tipup:
Lotta armchair biologists out there!!!!!!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:22 AM »
Lotta armchair biologists out there!!!!!!!!
?????????? Looks more like an observation supported by facts.

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #101 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:47 AM »
Fished vets yesterday, went for lakers early with only a few chasers. Came into the bay to perch fish at 930 left at noon with 23 keepers. Had to work through some small ones but certainly not as many as in the past weeks.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #102 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:30 AM »
Hi all,

I would like to come up and try some perching on Lake George this weekend. I will be coming from downstate and have never really fished Lake George before. 

As a newbie to the lake, can you suggest any particular area that would get me into some perch. I'm not looking for anybody's honey hole or anything like that, but a good bay to start off.

Or better yet I wouldn't mind meeting up with some people as I will be by myself and we can go out and work as a team.

Please PM me if you happen to have any information you'd like to share or are interested in meeting up.

Thank you very much,

Kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #103 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:36 AM »
well you could try off of veterans park in bolton,huddle bay rd, bixby beach rd, off of cotton point rd out to basin bay,the winter carnival is still going on so million dollar beach i would avoid also you could try harris bay good luck

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #104 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:25 AM »
Thank you very much I did not know that they were having the carnival up there. When I get home I will pull out my map and have a look at those bays I really do appreciate the help.

thank you very much
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:26 AM »
I'm getting very nice size perch where I'm fishing just no consistency.  I'm fishing g 30-45' with 80' not far away.  I feel like the lakers might keep them stirred up a lot.  The most I got in ten min was prob 3.  Wondering if I should keep fishing there... I kept moving all morning and hammer one or two at every new hole but that was it.

Anybody else have a spot like this?  I know I can clean house if the bite is on. 

Also does perching get better toward ice out? 

Offline Tupper Lumberjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Feb 18, 2014, 03:22 PM »

I am a new Marcum owner and have taking it out a few times and really getting to know it, but I was on Lake George yesterday, had my gain only on about 2 and was reading bottom nicely at 30 feet could see my little tungsten jig showing fine, then for about a minute my screen lit up from top to about 5 feet down like a Christmas tree. Has anyone had this happen? I had noone within 100 yards from me. I was fishing Perch was wondering if this could be what an enormous school looks like, interference from another unit or a possible machine problem. Any wisdom would help.

Also found way too many lakers hovering around in 30 feet of water, messing perch up. Caught about 30 perch and 1 laker yesterday on the jig rod couldnt stretch a perch if I pulled my hardest to get it to 8 inches, if I couldnt pull them off the bottom they would not hit. If you have to blaze a trail and have a lot of gear get ready to have your lungs and legs burn up.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Feb 18, 2014, 03:26 PM »
yes it is very hard walking out there if you have a heavy load of gear. Best thing to do is carry your stuff out. Pack light.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #108 on: Feb 18, 2014, 03:37 PM »
When your marcum lit up like that it was smelt. There has been lots of smelt in the bays this year and I've has exactly what you described happen. Even caught a few, too bad you can't keep them outta lg
Jason

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Feb 18, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Tupper    Same thing on my fl8. No one around as I looked to make sure and it had me thinking smelt also. That is the weirdest thing. Why don't they hit the mouses ???

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Feb 18, 2014, 05:28 PM »
I am a new Marcum owner and have taking it out a few times and really getting to know it, but I was on Lake George yesterday, had my gain only on about 2 and was reading bottom nicely at 30 feet could see my little tungsten jig showing fine, then for about a minute my screen lit up from top to about 5 feet down like a Christmas tree. Has anyone had this happen? I had noone within 100 yards from me. I was fishing Perch was wondering if this could be what an enormous school looks like, interference from another unit or a possible machine problem. Any wisdom would help.

Also found way too many lakers hovering around in 30 feet of water, messing perch up. Caught about 30 perch and 1 laker yesterday on the jig rod couldnt stretch a perch if I pulled my hardest to get it to 8 inches, if I couldnt pull them off the bottom they would not hit. If you have to blaze a trail and have a lot of gear get ready to have your lungs and legs burn up.
smelt

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:16 PM »

definately smelt happened to me twice managed to hook one on a #12 mooska. Lost the rig shortly after to a laker not a chance I coud land him with 2# test and a fairy wand for a jig stick

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:24 PM »

Same hole I got the crappie yesterday caught another one my biggest perch (14.25" 1.42#)this year and my whole limit in 2 hours.

Offline Tupper Lumberjack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:27 PM »
Well that's cool, that maybe explains the increase in the Lakers in the area and the perch buried in the weeds in the bottom. Great thread seems to me this year bright, small tungsten jigs is where its at where as the old school Hali not cutting it, if I had a Hali with a tip of nightcrawler on it I would have torn those smelt up like we do on upper saranac

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:45 PM »
There has been Cisco running in those big schools too I've caught 6-7 jigging when those smelt are going through.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:12 PM »
I had my flasher screen light right up like that a week ago.
I was fishing 40 FOW and my entire screen was full. I got down on all fours in my shack to look down the hole... Smelt as far as I could see. One of the craziest things I've seen in a while. 
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:38 PM »

Same hole I got the crappie yesterday caught another one my biggest perch (14.25" 1.42#)this year and my whole limit in 2 hours.
nice catch there :o

Offline Benfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #117 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Why do they forbid taking smelt out of lake George?

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:40 AM »
because they work so well most of the time.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Feb 19, 2014, 05:15 AM »
Soo.  Is perch fishing going to get better?  Just wondering this is my first year chasing perch.

What colors do you guys like for those teardrops?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.