Author Topic: tungsten jigs vs. lead jigs  (Read 1984 times)

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
tungsten jigs vs. lead jigs
« on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:06 PM »
has anyone ever took a tungsten jigs that is the same a lead jig and weighted them to see how much heavier the tungsten really is.  i was messing around last night and took a couple jigs that were close to the same size didn't have the right ones i wanted and they were very close in weight like 3-7 grains which is like nothing.  just wondering if this whole tungsten thing is a gimmick or not????
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: tungsten jigs vs. lead jigs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:32 PM »
Tungsten is heavier than lead. Didn't see any mention of the hook type or paint type/thickness in the comparison, that can make a difference as well. Also considering "close to the same size" and how small they are to begin with, 3-7 grains can be a decent percentage as a difference. If one sees tungsten as a gimmick it's your call, there's a major difference in my book where both have their place.

Offline fish8mybait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Never actually weighed them but I can tell on the larger jigs that there is a difference. It makes a difference if you need to drop back down to the fish quickly in deeper water. I don't think it makes much of a difference if you are fishing in under 15' of water though.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:35 PM »
Also remarkable is its high density of 19.3 times that of water, comparable to that of uranium and gold, and much higher (about 1.7 times) than that of lead.[4] Tungsten with minor amounts of impurities is often brittle[5] and hard, making it difficult to work. However, very pure tungsten, though still hard, is more ductile, and can be cut with a hard-steel hacksaw.[6]

Tungsten is almost twice as dense as lead.  Meaning for the same weight, the tungsten will be 1/2 the size.  It will sink faster.  When you're weighing small jigs, the difference in weight might not seem significant, but the ratio is constant.  1.7 times the density.

<{{{{°>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2014, 01:54 PM »
has anyone ever took a tungsten jigs that is the same a lead jig and weighted them to see how much heavier the tungsten really is.  i was messing around last night and took a couple jigs that were close to the same size didn't have the right ones i wanted and they were very close in weight like 3-7 grains which is like nothing.  just wondering if this whole tungsten thing is a gimmick or not????

The tungsten used in tungsten jigs is not pure tungsten, it is tungsten-iron. Therefore you cannot go by the periodic table and the atomic masses.

The density of the tungsten used is right at 18.2-18.5 g/cc and lead is 11.3 g/cc. So it is roughly 50% heavier than lead, not 100-200% like some people claim.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2014, 02:00 PM »
just wondering if this whole tungsten thing is a gimmick or not????

Lead is illegal in a few states now, tungsten is the best legal alternative some of us have.

Offline fishbowl69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Best comparison I can give is a bullet weight for bass fishing. If you compare a 3/8 lead to a tungsten of similar weight you'll notice the size difference. I'd guess almost twice as big. It makes a big difference on the ice or open water if its clear or tryin to punch through weeds. I swear by them bass fishing

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2014, 02:58 PM »
you can definitely tell the difference

Offline slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Judging by the speed that it falls on my graph(4mm) compared to similar sized lead jigs in my opinion they are not a gimmick.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:10 PM »
Tungsten is almost twice as dense as lead.  Meaning for the same weight, the tungsten will be 1/2 the size.  It will sink faster.  When you're weighing small jigs, the difference in weight might not seem significant, but the ratio is constant.  1.7 times the density.

<{{{{°>

The volume of the lure will be 1.7 times bigger with lead versus tungsten.  But the dimensions won't be dramatically different, since volume goes up with the cube.  A round sinker made of tungsten will be about 84% of the diameter of a lead sinker of the same weight, if I've done the math right.  (the cube root of (1/1.7))

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:25 PM »
True.  The density is the real difference.  It sinks faster and displaces less water.  It ain't a gimmick. 

<{{{{°>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:28 PM »
Anyone ever seen tungsten sinkers?? I have some steel sinkers to replace the lead, but I can't recall seeing tungsten..

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:32 PM »
I like the tungsten jigs; get down way quicker

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2014, 03:36 PM »
I'm not saying that lead is better or tungsten is better i fish with tungsten all the time i am just wondering how much tungsten is really in the power that they mold them with.  from my understanding it is not pure tungsten maybe some brands are that's kinda what I'm trying to figure out which brands use the best materials if they are any better at all.  i know some of the good brands are heavier when i get the chance I'm going to mold all the tungsten jigs i have out of lead and compare weight just wondering if anyone has already done this.
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2014, 04:19 PM »
tungsten is better lead no good for you.the tungsten jigs are heavier then the lead ones of the same size.don't know exactly how much pure tungsten is in them doesn't really matter to me.i think the fiskas are one of the better ones but you pay for them.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Anyone ever seen tungsten sinkers?? I have some steel sinkers to replace the lead, but I can't recall seeing tungsten..

Yes, they make tungsten in barrel weights and bullet weights. No split shots because its way too hard of a metal to bend. The average price for a 1/8oz weight is about $1 each. 1oz is about 4.50 each.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:48 PM »
OUCH..I'll stick with the steel/lead for summer fishing//

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.