The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What kind of Fish finder should I get? part two  (Read 780 times)

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
What kind of Fish finder should I get? part two
« on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:36 PM »
 Ok so Ive looked at a bunch of pics of different models, Most seem to be just the round dial Flasher type units. I don't get it How do they work and how do you read the dial and colors? I have high end electronics on my center console the screen scrolls by and fish show up in a perfect situation as an arch and structure or weeds shows up more or less what they look like. So how do you guys use these flashers?
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What kind of Fish finder should I get? part two
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:44 PM »
I think you're best bet is to watch a tutorial on youtube.  This synopsis is applicable to vexilars:  the dial reads depth 0-20ft.  You can change the depth range to 2, 4, or 10 which multiplies the depth.  The bottom shows up as a thick red band, if that band starts at 14 then it's 14' deep.  If you're on 2x then the bottom is at 28'.  weeds are green and typically show up as a bunch of lines.  Really thick weeds are orange and green.  Fish are a red bar sandwiched between orange and green bars.  Your jig shows up the same as a fish, but usually skinnier.  The readings are instantaneous so if you move your jig, it moves on the screen.  Flashers with bottom zoom split the dial so that one half shows the whole the water column and the other half shows just the bottom 6' regardless of depth. 
Basically they are awesome, get a flasher, watch a video on how to use it, then you will end up spending an hour trying to catch a single stubborn fish.... but you will know that there is a fish down there. 

Offline sams

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:15 PM »
I just set up my raymarine A70d on my sled.  Used it for the first time last weekend and it did a great job of marking fish.  I was able to see fish show up on the screen, move my jig to get in their face, and hook up pretty much everything I marked.  I cannot see how a flasher would do a better job.  The funky rig with my 'ducer is not as nice as the floating ice duvets for the flashers.

Sam

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:19 PM »
... then you will end up spending an hour trying to catch a single stubborn fish.... but you will know that there is a fish down there.

That is hilarious. I do exactly the same thing.  Before having a flasher, I would just leave a hole when the bite stopped, but now that I KNOW they're down there, I have to catch each and every fish I see.  I spent 30 minuets today trying to catch a 5 inch perch, but it was there, and I did catch it. 

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:24 PM »
That is hilarious. I do exactly the same thing.  Before having a flasher, I would just leave a hole when the bite stopped, but now that I KNOW they're down there, I have to catch each and every fish I see.  I spent 30 minuets today trying to catch a 5 inch perch, but it was there, and I did catch it.

I marked a suspended fish on my first trip with a flasher and I spent a solid 20 minutes trying at least 10 different jigs... and then I caught this monster crappie!

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:37 PM »
Awesome crappie! That took some skill to hook and land that one. 

wmhunts, these are the kinds of trophy's that you can look forward to catching when you get your flasher.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:42 PM »
next time you are on the ice,ask someone with a flasher to show you how it works,we LOVE to do that

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:45 PM »
X2.
I've spent a lot of time to catch that one fish I've marked in a hole to finally pull it up. It being a vicious monster 3" pumpkinseed!!! And then again, same situation and up comes a slammer perch! Got to love it.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:37 AM »
Do flashers give you any idea of fish size?  Or just that there is a fish there?  I've never seen one in use, either, so had all the same questions as WMHUNTS.

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Absolutely!  I can tell the difference between an 8 inch perch and a 12 incher.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2014, 01:38 PM »
I marked a suspended fish on my first trip with a flasher and I spent a solid 20 minutes trying at least 10 different jigs... and then I caught this monster crappie!

;D As my late dad would say "It takes a lot of skill to catch a fish that size!"
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.