Author Topic: Tip Up Brand/Style help  (Read 3520 times)

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!
Tip Up Brand/Style help
« on: Dec 16, 2005, 11:18 PM »
Hello all!  I'd really like to try and do some Tip Up fishing this year and am looking to purchase a couple of Tip Ups to chase Northern Pike with here in Indiana.  There are so many styles and brands to choose from I thought I would see if anyone could help me out with some advice based on their experiences.  For instance, I was thinking about buying the Frabill Round Tip Up.  Any thoughts, experiences,  or suggestions?  Thanks and Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!   :tipup:

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip Up Brand/Style help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2005, 11:35 PM »
I hear the round ones are good but kinda pricey right? $10 or more each? here in new york your allowed 5 or 15 if your fishing Champlain so price seems to be a factor i Dont use tipups anymore but i do have 5 decent wooden ones that cost $6 each and they worked just fine for northerns
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2005, 12:15 AM »
I agree with Fisherking.  If your just starting out, maybe think about picking some up on Ebay?  You can get some deals on 5 or 6 at a crack.  "Stick" tip ups are fantastic for any situation.  If your wanting to head right into spending some $$$$, I'd stick with a real midwest favorite.  The Beaver Dam or Arctic Fisherman is the cadillac of tip ups, (at least Barleydog's version of a Cadillac eh!) :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2005, 12:50 AM »
I like big heavy wooden tipups rigged with 100lb test right to a steel leader for the monsters in the Sacandaga
get the big spools they love to run :)

laker7744

« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2005, 05:49 AM »
frabill makes a nice round tip up that covers your hole.It is insulated on the bottom to prevent your hole from freezing.Also keeps snow out.Blocks unnatural light.also it has a small tackle storage space built right into it.I have had mine for 7 or 8 years now and it is super dependable.A solid choice for tip ups.

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2005, 05:52 AM »
The only thing I don't like about most of the round styles is that the flag is fairly short.  Can be kind of a pain when there's a lot of snow on the ice. 
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2005, 08:17 AM »
They make flag extensions for the round frabils and they are great ... i got my round tip ups  clearenced at bps last winter $8.00
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2005, 10:25 AM »
I have a round tipup that has a flag on it that extends like a car antenna. I'm thinking it is a Frabill but not sure.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2005, 11:38 AM »
I love my polar tip-ups :tipup:, I wouldn't trade them for anything. I've never used the round ones though. The only thing I would say is DON'T buy the 3 stick tip-ups. Had 5 of the given to me brand new, and I can't stand using them. WAY to much unfolding to do with or without gloves on.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2005, 12:42 PM »

You may want to check out JackTraps. They make quality tip-ups and also help support our tourney.  ;)

http://www.jacktraps.com/
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2005, 01:35 PM »
Heritage Lakers
I love these tilts and would recomend them to anyone....

Offline Adrock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2005, 01:53 PM »
i built my own but they are similar to the style of the Jack Traps.  My friend owns some jack traps, very nicely constructed, one set will most likely last a life time if you care for them.

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2005, 04:10 PM »
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys!  I really appreciate it.  My birthday was Friday and my wife went to Gander Mountian and purchased a couple of the Frabil Round Tip Ups for me.  I'm going to give them a try this weekend.  I've already got them rigged and ready to go.  I'll let you all know how they perform.  Thanks again for all the help!  Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2005, 04:32 PM »
I love my Polar tipups, they are very durable, and never fail me. Plus, I love being able to see the trip spinning when I got the big one on.

Offline pike hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2005, 06:36 PM »
I use spindle types that I bought at wally world for $7. I like them because you can see if the fish is running with the bait or not and usually what kind of fish it is. If it's spinning slow it's a bass, if it's spinning fast it's probably a pike! I'm not sure of the brand I think they are just called polar tip-ups, but they work great ;D

Offline roverowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The sweet smell of success!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2005, 02:09 PM »
Heritage Lakers for me.  I like the way the reel hangs in the "proper" orientation.  I've got 10 frabill bigfoots and the spool hangs down "sideways" and the line sometimes falls off and gets tangled.  The Lakers stand up nice and tall which is a huge plus.  Flag extentions are nice, but I like to look out across the ice and see my tip ups, even in 2 feet of snow.  Unfolding the legs is no trouble at all, so I'm not sure where that comment came from.  Lakers also have a nice size spool with hook holder slots integrated.  Also, Lakers take up about as much space in the sled, but they are less cumbersome to use.

Heritage lakers are expensive at around $20 each, but they will last a lifetime. 

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2005, 02:26 PM »
I have some of the Frabill insulated tip ups, some of the frabil disk type with antenna style, and some beaver dam tip ups. I'd either go Frabill insulated or Beaver Dam. You are almost certain to break those antenna style- fragile!

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2005, 02:44 PM »
I've got a couple of the x style tipups that were great when I first started fishing but leaves the water exposed and so I really prefer to use polar tipups that are round and cover the hole. my absolute most favorite tipup is a box I made myself. it's about 18" long but about a foot wide and a foot tall. I have the spool of line rigged so that after I get my depth set I can set a flag and that flag is also wired in a way that it sets off a little light that I put on the side of the box. This is extremely useful at night one other thing that's really handy is to have a a small candle in the box which usually creates enough heat to keep the hole open in almost any temps! it's a fairly simple design that I still use as effectively as any other tipup regardless of how cold or windy it might be. message me if you'd like some tips on design...
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2005, 03:12 PM »
HERITAGE   Sounder.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.