Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: white breast  (Read 10001 times)

Offline herkyicer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: white breast
« Reply #30 on: Feb 16, 2014, 12:57 PM »
We did pretty good this morning but was a little late getting there.  How did everyone else do today?
Go with Marcum or go home, lol

Offline teamhardcorefishing_cc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wiggle wiggle wiggle...Yea fish on
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Going to try it there on Thursday. Where can I find minnows around White Breast?

Offline Jynx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Pella  rental or the tackle boxx in osky  would be your best bet for lively minnows, I  have had a terrible time keeping minnows  from the red rock quick stop alive long enough to get on the ice, even with a bubbler on them soon as I got them to the truck.

Offline crappiiguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 17, 2014, 04:11 PM »
50 trucks here today it's on fire

No kidding...  wonder why?  Do you have any other brush piles you could share?  the other 2 are pretty crowded.

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #34 on: Feb 17, 2014, 10:07 PM »
There are lots of brush piles in red rock and who cares how many trucks or how many people are fishin them?  If you don't wanna fish in the crowds move.  And if people don't like others given out tips then what us the point of this site and why are you haters even on here?  This site is to help fellow hardwater fishermen and give advice and tips.  Am I wrong guys? If y'all don't like hearin others give out tips on hot spots then why you readin them?   ???
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline Bruiser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:10 AM »
There are lots of brush piles in red rock and who cares how many trucks or how many people are fishin them?  If you don't wanna fish in the crowds move.  And if people don't like others given out tips then what us the point of this site and why are you haters even on here?  This site is to help fellow hardwater fishermen and give advice and tips.  Am I wrong guys? If y'all don't like hearin others give out tips on hot spots then why you readin them?   ???

Some people put in hard work to find good spots and when others are just lurkers waiting for someone to spill the beans about someone else's spot, it doesn't sit well. I get on this forum to hear about safe ice, ice conditions, answers to problems about faulty gear, and product reviews. Problem isn't about fishing in the crowds, problem is when the crowds move in on you. When they are halfway across the lake, using binoculars to spot other people catching fish and then move in on 'em.

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:43 AM »
here ya go the whole area south of the parking area between the coves in 14 fow basically in the middle of the lake arm  everyone was howling because the fish were crazy on !  i  had my limit  and threw back alot of 10 inch fish  minnows kept me busy but a jig with plastics was geting it done too it slowed dwn around 1030 but fired back up around 2 till dusk .
Hard charger !

Offline herkyicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 18, 2014, 10:49 AM »
I have some more I'll share soon, you're welcome. The place where all the shanties are piled up at has a tree coming out of the lake bottom at a 45 degree angle with lots of brush under it. 20' long? Comes off bottom about 6' high.

Offline herkyicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Whitebreast river is raging full of water and the creek that feeds the big bay is also bank full. USACE said lake is only coming up 6" . Be careful or stay home. I'm not walking out there.  Two shacks out in front of the beach area today

Offline Plan B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:29 PM »
[quoteThere are lots of brush piles in red rock and who cares how many trucks or how many people are fishin them?][/quote]I care. Not so much the brushpiles but the amount of people and the fish being harvested. The numbers of fish I've seen and heard coming out of there is astounding. Too much publicity/hype can be a bad thing. There are not many lakes that can withstand this amount of pressure and still maintain a viable fishery for years to come. Does everyone in this thread want to catch quality fish 3 or 5 years from now? May or may not happen. As fisherman we can keep or release what we want within the rules, as sportsman we have the responsibility to respect our natural resources. As said, too much hype is a bad thing.

Offline Plan B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 20, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Herkyicer is right. The current Des Moines river inflow into Red Rock is over 11,000 cfps. Whitebreast creek is over 4000 cfps. The Whitebreast slaughterfest may be over.

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:31 PM »
There's only one way to find out......

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #42 on: Feb 21, 2014, 08:11 AM »
Plan b, there is no way we as fisherman could ever over pressure a lake the size of red rock. I know of many smaller lakes that have handled twice the pressure and are 1/8 the size. and are still produceing quallity fish.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 21, 2014, 01:28 PM »
I agree with you.  Red Rock is much to large of an area to over fish it or fish it out, especially with the limit law in effect.  The limit in itself was and is one of the best things they ever came up with.  JMO

Offline Track792

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 21, 2014, 02:06 PM »
Has anyone been down to white breast to report if you can get on the ice or if there still running quads on the ice?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advanced.
Clam XL 1 Thermal
Marcum LX5
Thorne Bros & TUCR with Black Betty's
K-Drill
Eskimo Z51
Arctic Cat Prowler HDX 700
Arctic Cat Bearcat 5000

Offline grawler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 22, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Whitebreast is over.  Roberts creek is over.  Dam outflow is raging. 

With colder temps may be able to get out later this week but now its 15' bad ice at the shore.  thanks to all that have helped me on this site.  Hope this saves u some time.

Offline herkyicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 22, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Thanks for the update, I'll give it a drive by mid week and report what I see.

Offline ONFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 23, 2014, 04:19 AM »
Getting on ice isn't a real big deal. Its the chocolate milk water under the ice that is. Good luck to anyone fishing.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #48 on: Feb 24, 2014, 04:43 PM »
mjlenz, I am all for the limit in most cases BUT, I do know of a couple lakes that would do well to have the limit lifted for a year or two. There are a few lakes in the state that are totally over run with dink crappies and gills. These would greatly benifit from a little more liberal harvest of smaller fish.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 25, 2014, 09:06 AM »
I'll agree with you on that one toofuss!  There are plenty of lakes that do need thinned and the limit lifted.  I was just saying with the limit in effect that I don't think Red Rock was in any danger of being fished out.  lol  :)

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #50 on: Feb 25, 2014, 09:51 AM »
yea i totally agree with that. Plus red rock is river fed so there is almost always a fresh supply of fish coming down river to "restock"

Offline Douglas14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 25, 2014, 11:58 AM »
Hows the water clarity down there today?  Wondered if the colder weather reduced the run off and if it cleared up any.  Want to make the trip but if the bite is non-existing cause of the water I'll wait it out.   

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 25, 2014, 03:07 PM »
I doubt that the water clarity will improve before ice out.  Way too much water/sediment coming into the system for a cold snap to stop.

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 25, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Anybody drove by to see if anyone is fishing it?  Or like David A says....has anyone actually fished it since the rain and thaw?  Thanks!

Offline DavidA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 25, 2014, 04:19 PM »
I know you all may have been there and looked down the hole....but I haven't.  Can anyone say that they have been there in the past 24 hours to know what the water condition really is?  Is it really stained so bad you can't fish or no?  Are people out fishing and catching or just walking around aimlessly (like I do most of the time)?  I have some time off starting tomorrow and would make the drive over there if I thought there was a chance to catch some fish.  Anyone? 
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.  Samuel Clemens

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #55 on: Feb 25, 2014, 09:30 PM »
david, This is second hand info but I completly trust the source. As of yesterday 2-24-14 the water in whitebreast what the color of choc milk. They marked a few fish but 0 biters. Not even a sniff. He said there was one other guy out there and was in the same boat. I would probably look to somewhere else for a couple weeks.

Offline artfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Mar 01, 2014, 08:29 AM »
My buddy and I hit Whitebreast last Saturday afternoon. We had the entire area to ourselves. Had to be cautious at the shoreline with thin ice. Drilled lots of holes and marked some fish but water clarity was terrible with no bites. We also tried the marina with similar results. Won't go back till spring. Ponds are the likely ticket now.

Offline InlineIce13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Mar 01, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Just left white breast, ice is good, but water clarity is terrible.  Marked lots of fish, none would bite, chase, or even nibble.  We were out for 3 hrs this morning and it didn't appear anyone else had any luck either.  Tried multiple jigs and colors.  Just figured I'd drop a first hand update. 

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #58 on: Mar 02, 2014, 11:39 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I've heard bits and pieces about Red Rock (clarity, lake level).  Prob try some ponds this week.  Heard the lake looks like chocolate milk. 
Red screens......tight lines......

Offline InlineIce13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Mar 03, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Chocolate milk is pretty accurate...from Saturday 3-1-2014

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.