Author Topic: Hit the cove for a little while this morning  (Read 1464 times)

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hit the cove for a little while this morning
« on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:23 PM »
My fiancé had the day off today so we got up and hit the cove got there at 6 and started heading out to a area I have always done good at. Brought a few big baits to try for a pike or striper. Popped two holes and marked some fish set the hut up and set 3 tip ups with big bait. We were into crappie and big gills right away actually my first fish was a crappie that was somewhere around 2 pounds which is huge for the cove I actually noticed all the crappie were bigger than usual not huge but good fish anyway played with those for a little bit and a flag goes off walk over set the hook and it was a small bass maybe 2 pounds reset and back to jigging. I see a huge mark right on the bottom below the gills and crappie drop down to it and it smashed my ratlyn flyer. As soon as I hooked it I knew what it was by the big slow head shakes after about ten minutes of getting it to the whole and it running straight back to the bottom I finally get the head of a big catfish in the hole. The fight was actually long enough I called my buddy laughing because we had talked last night about how I had never caught a bigger catfish through the ice. After that kept playing with the crappie until a flag goes up again walk over line slowly rolling off the spool I pick it up set it get 3 big head shakes and it cuts me off it was definetly a decent pike and I kinda kicked my self for not using steel leaders in the cove when I know I should have but I kinda just threw out the tip ups to see what would happen. Anyways had a few more flags with hit and runs but never connected. All in all a good day and we probably caught and released 25 crappie and a bunch of big bluegills and one white perch. Just got home gunna cook some deer hotdogs I just picked up
From my butcher and get some running around done probably hit somewhere tmrw am not sure where yet tho

Here the catfish didn't take many pics because we were pretty much rushing to get back down to fish we were marking

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Hit the cove for a little while this morning
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:29 PM »
I was the guy who pulled up next to you when you were heading onto the ice, I was in the gray expedition.

You walked pretty far my man!

I was looking at your shanty when that wind was whipping  ;D

Glad you did good.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:40 PM »
 wish I would have known it was someone from the sight I would have said hi. Ya at least it's a easy drug right now I actually had my girl sit on the sled apparently ugg boots were not made for walking on ice lol. I only had 3 screws holding down the shanty. It don't get sketcy till you get some serious wind like on Saturday now that was bad 6 screws and it was still gettin blown all over . How did you end up doing was that you set up right off the launch.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:00 PM »
nice cat, man you are killing it this year, walleyes, perch, an who knows what else, good job!! looks like a good ice fishing year for ya, congrats

Offline bassaddict 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2014, 02:17 PM »
nice job with the crappie and nice cat! musta been a fun fight on the jiggin stick

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Dude you are a fishen machine. 30# tiger wire love it

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Great report!

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:58 PM »
Oh Wow !

That's one nice catfish !
Yummmy !  ... I think I see blackened catfish - Cajun style for supper !  ;D

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:02 PM »
I do like catfish but everything went back today. I've got plenty of fillets in the fridge and freezer
Probably wont keep much the rest of the ice season unless I have a couple big fish frys but I should be good till fluke season rolls Around

Offline jmedy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:19 PM »
I was the guy setting up next to you right before you left.  I had lots of action today as well.

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:24 PM »
I was the guy setting up next to you right before you left.  I had lots of action today as well.

This is why we need to get ice shanty stickers or flags or
Something lol at least then well all know if someone else from the sight is around. Did the old man talk to you at the launch? I guess someone broke into the barn by the launch and stole some ship building tools and a bunch of other random stuff there was a cop still there when I left talking to him

Offline CatDaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:28 PM »
I love fishing channel cats, but i would never eat one thats been feeding off the bottom of the CTR. Actually id never eat one from any of  the bodys of water tht hold them in CT.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:00 PM »
This is why we need to get ice shanty stickers or flags or
Something lol at least then well all know if someone else from the sight is around. Did the old man talk to you at the launch? I guess someone broke into the barn by the launch and stole some ship building tools and a bunch of other random stuff there was a cop still there when I left talking to him

Is that why there were cops there all day?

I was wondering about that.

+1 on the stickers That Guy mentioned. We were all there today and none of use knew we all were from the shanty....
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Take a look in the IS Pro shop. You can get stickers and flags. The other way to get them is to join the militia, I did the last five years or so to help support the site.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:30 PM »
thanks eiderz

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Is that why there were cops there all day?

I was wondering about that.

+1 on the stickers That Guy mentioned. We were all there today and none of use knew we all were from the shanty....

Ya I talked to the guy he asked if I had seen anything on the ice he thought kids might have done it because a bunch of random stuff was missing as well.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Great report!
              X2
what is and what should never be

Offline JohnnyJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:19 PM »
Great fish on the jigging stick good for you!
Bite on my line
The man known as JohnS

Offline shotty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:05 PM »
That a nice catfish, must of been a blast on the jigging rod!!!

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Nice cat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.