Author Topic: How thick does the ice have to be before you'll drive your truck on it?  (Read 8358 times)

Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
I got this from the farmers almanac.  I'm generally fine driving on a lake if I see other vehicles and houses already on the lake and when the ice is at least 10" thick consistently. I currently own a half ton truck. 

From the almanac:
3"    - one person on foot
4"    - group in single file
7.5" - passenger car (2 ton gross)
8"    - light truck (2.5 ton gross)
10"  - medium truck (3.5 ton gross)
12"  - heavy truck (8 ton gross)
15"  - ten tons
20"  - 25 tons
30"  - 70 tons
36"  - 110 tons

This is for solid, clear, blue/black lake or pond ice. Slush ice has half the strength of clear ice and river ice is 15% less. 

burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
I won't take my ranger on any less than 16 inches

Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
I got this from the farmers almanac.  I'm generally fine driving on a lake if I see other vehicles and houses already on the lake and when the ice is at least 10" thick consistently. I currently own a half ton truck. 

From the almanac:
3"    - one person on foot
4"    - group in single file
7.5" - passenger car (2 ton gross)
8"    - light truck (2.5 ton gross)
10"  - medium truck (3.5 ton gross)
12"  - heavy truck (8 ton gross)
15"  - ten tons
20"  - 25 tons
30"  - 70 tons
36"  - 110 tons

This is for solid, clear, blue/black lake or pond ice. Slush ice has half the strength of clear ice and river ice is 15% less.

Not too far down the road in WI here.  I like you have very little fear of good solid ice.  We have cities develop in small areas on our local lakes.  I am always curious how much weight is in a small area when there are 20 permanents and 15 trucks surrounding them.  This shows the sheer strength of good ice.  I will say though you have much bigger cahoonas than I driving your rig on 10".  You wont catch me on less than 12".  I know good solid ice can hold a huge amount of weight so it is whatever you are comfortable with.  The part that scares me about less than 12" is uneven freezing.  When on 12" you may hit a 10" spot somewhere and be ok.  On 10" I would be worried about running into an 8" spot.   

esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • It's Showtime!
Thicker than this:

Last weekend In SE WI....... ???
Not fish? Not an option!

"Life's too short to worry, life's too long to wait..."

burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thicker than this:

Last weekend In SE WI....... ???

That's the worst is when you see parking lots form on the ice. I know if anyone parks within 30 FT of my truck they will get an earful regardless of how thick the ice is, but I don't really fish the community holes, so if anyone invades my space they are being a rude in general as well.

aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
NEVER THICK ENOUGH FOR ME.  ::) ::) ::) :cookoo:

putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
Use the 12 pac guide. Full, you need a foot, half gone six inches, empty you can probably hydroplane out. Use 12 ouncers, 16s screw it all up!

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.