The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Yellow creek  (Read 614 times)

Offline eyestrainer

• IceShanty Rookie
Yellow creek
« on: Jan 26, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Anyone fishing yellow creek?  Was out on sat, wind was brutal only caught small perch.

Offline perchcatcherzach

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Yellow creek
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2014, 06:10 PM »
was thinking about maybe heading up. how much ice? what are the main species they catch up there?

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Perchcatcher, I guess I would consider this my home lake since it's one of the closer to my home (11 mi.) The lake pretty much has all the basic species other than lake trout and muskies. As with any lake there is a variety of structure: drop-offs, shallow flats, creek channels, etc. If you can get yourself a good hydro-map it would probably help get you on fish quicker. I think there is a map available with recently dropped cribs made and installed by a group called "Friends of Yellow Creek". I just ran in to one of the members about a week ago. Personally I don't have one either. But he said they added a number of cribs around the lake. Anyway the ice should be good atleast seven inches if not more. Unfortunately it is snow covered with more on the way. Good luck.  Lou

Offline snydje

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Lou,
I've been fishing Yellow Creek for a number of years. Could always count on catching good numbers of pike fishing 3 - 10 FOW adjacent to weeds. Not a lot of quality but always quantity. However, the last two years I have noticed a huge decline in the numbers. Whats your observations been?

Offline JeffCoHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:51 PM »
I'm planning on hitting Yellow Creek on Sunday afternoon.  Hoping to get into some pike or bass.  My experience on this lake through the ice has always been to not catch many fish but the ones I did catch were nice.  It has been a few years since I fished it though.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:14 PM »
Snydje, I'm not sure I have a good handle on the pike fishing because I usually jig for panfish. The pike I've caught have been on my jigging rod and they've taken their fair share of my jigs. I've caught pike right off the point where the roadbed crosses over to grandpas cove. And I've caught them down toward the breast of the dam. My biggest was probably 27" but most range around twenty to twenty-four. I've yet to pull a walleye through the ice out there. I have heard of an occasional eye being caught.  Lou

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:04 AM »
There's  gotta be a healthy amount of pike and walleye near the breast, I've seen them teamed up in the lake above the spillway during and right after last ice, in the open water.
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.