The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Staying on the ice overnight  (Read 7494 times)

Offline DreadPirate1984

• IceShanty Rookie
Staying on the ice overnight
« on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Hello all,

I will be most likely staying on the ice Friday night.  I was just curious as to how I would stay warm.  I have never done it before.  I have a sleeping bag that is a mummy shaped.  I think it's rated for below zero temps.  Also I will be in a shelter with a big buddy heater.  I'm not sure if the shelter I will be in will have a floor or not.  Also should I get a cot?  Or is sleeping on the ground an option?  What about a sleeping mat?  Also does live bait work well at night.  Or should I just jig or use maybe powerbait?  What about galic marshmellows?

Thanks in advance

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Staying on the ice overnight
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:26 AM »
As far as sleeping on the ice at night, If the shelter doesnt have a floor get lots of fur bows. Build your bed outta fur bows then cover them with a wool blanket or some sorta of covering. That should keep you from getting cold due to the ice. A cot would be better. just my .02
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:40 AM »
All kidding aside braving the elements is not something one should take lightly. You got a shelter and a buddy heater (bring plenty of fuel) a sleeping bag try to get yourself off the ice so you not acting as a condutor from the ice temp. Fir bows will work and a cot is better. Stay dry Good luck

Lots of good info here
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=34.0

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:44 AM »
I wouldn't do it unless you plan on staying up all night and cusk fishing etc, keeping your wits about ya will be very important.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:55 AM »
you will get lots of moisture dripping from the shack most likely too.  It could be a miserable experience.

Offline Terasec

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:58 AM »
doesnt look too bad for this weekend
single digits to teens for fri/sat,
i would say go ahead with caution,
do not lay on the ice, will sap the heat right out of you,
stay elevated off the ground, and stay dry,
good sleeping gear,
for buddy heater try not to sleep with it on, use a CO2 detector,
dont take chances, if you get the chills warm up, dont try to sleep through it,
have anything to heat up a cup of water/soup with?
dont plan on getting much sleep, sleeping in the cold is not the most comfortable experience,
be prepared to pack it up and say screw this.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:10 PM »
"Good Bye All",  All kidding aside, the previous comments should be given some serious thought.  After you struggle through the night, you won't feel much like doing anything except crawling into a warm bed.  And with those heater issues & oxygen, hopefully we won't be saying "remember DeadPirate". :)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline jaimebeth9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:19 PM »
My big buddy heats my 6x12 shack up toasty warm and the propane tank is outside (I bring a big one and run the connector hose in), so I bet you'll be warm enough.  I've been dying to stay out overnight, but I have a cot to sleep on.  I can't imagine trying to do it on the ice.  What about even a camp chair that reclines? 

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:28 PM »
Unless your in a comfy hard side   this is just insane for most of us..  not fun  :o
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:34 PM »
  X2 on the CO detector, sux waking up dead !
Jim K.

Offline codyp33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:45 PM »
we sleep out there for most derby's we have -0 rated sleeping bags and thinsulate sleeping pad thats you would use for camping in the winter we sleep on the floor do to lack of space in our shack( its a build you own floor pop-up from cabelas so theres not much between us and the ice) we stay pretty warm but if you can get a cot in there the higher up the better heat rises and make sure you have it vented. always bring a change of clothes and maybe and extra pair of boot you can leave in the truck theres always a chance of getting wet your on the ice for a long time. good luck and hope this helps

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:46 PM »
Unless your in a comfy hard side   this is just insane for most of us..  not fun  :o

Was thinking the same thing but to each their own. Hopefully we will have a hardside for next year. Buddy is already scraping up metal for the roof. What about sleep in a big otter/jet sled? Keeps you off the ice and kinda gives you a barrier between you and the ice
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Was thinking the same thing but to each their own. Hopefully we will have a hardside for next year. Buddy is already scraping up metal for the roof. What about sleep in a big otter/jet sled? Keeps you off the ice and kinda gives you a barrier between you and the ice

turn it upside down would be best

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:52 PM »
It would be hard to do for the otter we use. Has a fold up shack built on the side. Maybe next year we will have the hardside and it wont be a problem. But as close as we live to the lake it only take 45 minutes to get there

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:53 PM »
I think its an idea that intrigues us all but I'd do it (and have) a bit different.  First off, I wouldn't actually "sleep" on the ice.  I'd set up on lee shore in the woods a tad, you would be able to make yourself much more comfortable than on a block of ice. ;D  I'd tarp it, then bows, then a closed cell mattress wether on the ground or on a cot.  The cold air space between you and the ground in a cot sucks!  I'd put my mummy bag in an oversized rectangle bag (could be of much cheaper quality)  I'd forget a heat source while sleeping and just go to bed, make sure you shed the clothes you had been wearing for the day.  Next morning when you awake (you wont sleep much ;D)  you could deal with heat and all that good stuff.

If you've got some wiggle room on this and really want to try it, why not wait until March and pick a warmer night for the first try?

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:55 PM »
the sleeping bag will be fine, just dont put it on a wet floor. as a kid i used to sleep outside on a porch when the crowds got to big. tested an  llbean bag out down near minus ten in the middle of the lake with just a tarp before as well, was toasty warm. if the shanty has a dry floor, get a ground pad for your back and raise your legs off the floor with a pack or bag or some clothes. now moisture buildup in some shantys could pose a problem, i probably wouldnt run the heater at night because of this

Offline WishnIwasFishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:58 PM »
I usually do a couple overnights a year for cusk, always thought my buddy was freakin nuts but now that Ive been, I actually look forward to it every season (though we usually go in early March when it's a lil warmer). You'll be fine man, just make sure, FIRST AND FOREMOST,  to keep your wits about you and be that much more familiar with your surroundings. It's easy to get turned around out there at night and end up walking the wrong way if ya don't have a flashlight and keep to the same path when checking traps....especially in those early hour mornings before the sun comes up after you've been awake for an extended period of time. I'd abstain from any sort of booze or whatever else one might get into while out there, definitely wanna be of complete sound mind/body. As far as keeping warm goes, button up the tent when checking your traps and crank that buddy heater (as stated above make sure ya have MORE than enough fuel) and it'll be plenty warm when ya get back. I wouldn't bother with a cot or making any sort of make shift bed, kinda defeats the purpose if ya ask me. Just bring a semi-comfortable chair and a something to put your feet up on, drink lots of coffee throughout the night and take a quick little cat nap (15-20 minutes) when you feel yourself starting to doze off. Didn't see ya mention anyone you'll be traveling with but DEFINITELY do NOT recommend going out alone....especially if it's your first time!! Good luck out there man and have fun, let us know how ya do

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:19 PM »
id sleep in the truck if possible. done it in the gash' many of times. crack the windows a little for moisture to get out and fire up the motor and heater for about 20 min. when you start to get cold.  usually good for 3-4 hrs. in between at -20f out. a lot more comfortable than sleeping out on the ice. good sleeping bag is a must.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:28 PM »
My freind stayed on moosehead once, Worst nite of his life he said!!!  Rained all nite from moisture that the heater put out! Never got warm!!!
Is it ice time yet???

Offline DreadPirate1984

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:56 PM »
We are mostly doing it to get a good spot for the tournament the coming morning.  Maybe I'll get a cot.  I found out it has a floor mats or foam pieces for a floor.  Also it's a Cabela's Ice team portable shelter.  If that helps at all.  Might do the cot thing.  I could use a cot anyways.  Might just keep traps out with bells or set one of those rod jgging traps inside the tent with a bell.

Offline jaimebeth9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Careful with fishing overnight if you're doing a derby.  Most have pretty specific start times.

We're doing Horne pond and we'll be out crazy early with holes drilled and lines ready, but not in the water.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:35 PM »
Wait until is a little warmer and someone else is near by. Especially where you aren't familiar with the shack and vents etc.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:43 PM »
Careful with fishing overnight if you're doing a derby.  Most have pretty specific start times.

We're doing Horne pond and we'll be out crazy early with holes drilled and lines ready, but not in the water.

X2

You WON'T be alone, and if your traps are in the water I am SURE someone will kindly remind you  ;D

It is going to be a high of 6*, with a real feel in the negatives.

Get one of those zero-gravity chairs.  They'll get you and your feet off ground level and are comfortable enough to doze in.

Offline whitefishlover

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:15 PM »
Is this conversation really taking place????  I like to fish more than anyone, but C'mon man!!!  I'll give you a wake up call so you get to your lake early enough, just sleep in your bed man.....At your house.   ???
"A bad day of fishin' is much  better than a good day of work" :)

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:21 PM »
Is this conversation really taking place????  I like to fish more than anyone, but C'mon man!!!  I'll give you a wake up call so you get to your lake early enough, just sleep in your bed man.....At your house.   ???

you ever seen some of the lakes by portland,,,,,,can't imagine during a derby. I fished with my sister on little O when she lived that way.. I was like is there something going on she was like nope its a little slower than normal guess a derby was going on close by so not as many as normal. I don't know how they do it down there

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:36 PM »
If it's to get an early spot for a derby why not just go to bed early in a nice warm bed the night before and wake up at 2 or 3 AM and head out fishing??

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Winter camp every year and have stayed on Sebago more than once overnight by choice.  A proper sleeping bag makes winter camping bearable....without a good bag, you will not enjoy the evening much.  Cutting bows at that location isn't a good idea...  Closed cell foam pad(s) to insulate your body from the ice is.....  When winter camping, a warm drink before bed, hot chocolate etc is a good idea.  I usually boil water and throw a hot nalgene water bottle in my bag a few minutes before crawling in.  Wear a good wool beanie on your head where a good portion of your body heat is lost.  Think I would try that bag on the back deck before spending the whole evening in it.   ;D. My -20 bag was over $400 years ago and worth every penny.  Well, when I say that I mean I don't get cold winter camping.  I hate to part with a dime..... 
     That being said!  You'll have bragging rights of staying on the ice, not having to deal with traffic in the morning and have that primo, derby winning spot!  Good luck buddy, post after camping!
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:08 PM »
If it's to get an early spot for a derby why not just go to bed early in a nice warm bed the night before and wake up at 2 or 3 AM and head out fishing??
X2!

No way. Not in a portable with propane.  :sick:
    Now an insulated Hard side... for sure!! The wife has even stayed the night out there with me in the 8x8.  But that is good ol wood heat. The ice was booming and the water was sloshing in the jig holes!!   :o
 Reminds me, a small battery operated fan on the ceiling is a huge help for heat and condensation.  worth the few bucks. i just order a new one from CLAM with LED lights.
   I stayed on Sebago years ago one night down below Fry Island in a non insulated Hard side, but it was in the upper 20's to low 30's and snowing big flakes. Was real quite and peaceful. The next morning was a weekday, bright sunrise,  fresh snow , had the lake nearly to myself.  good times.

Offline Hoodoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Went to Sonney's smelt camps a couple years ago..... a kid moved in with his cot sleeping bag ,portable dvd player had already been there for three days!  :o
I live with fear everyday and sometimes she lets me go fishing

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:43 PM »
We are mostly doing it to get a good spot for the tournament the coming morning.  Maybe I'll get a cot.  I found out it has a floor mats or foam pieces for a floor.  Also it's a Cabela's Ice team portable shelter.  If that helps at all.  Might do the cot thing.  I could use a cot anyways.  Might just keep traps out with bells or set one of those rod jgging traps inside the tent with a bell.
I believe the Law book ( rules) say you must check your traps every hour when cusk fishing, don't sound like you will get much sleep. Good Luck and stay safe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.