Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice fishing barometric pressure  (Read 6060 times)

Offline solonstrong

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing barometric pressure
« on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:58 PM »
Does anybody have some info on the best barometric pressure situations to be fishing? Personally dropping pressure gets the best bite. Today I was out 11:00 to 2:00 pressure was steady and the fish would come in and look or bump it but not take it all the way in there mouth so I could set the hook.  Also had two days of warm weather causing the water to be more cloudy than normal. This could have been part of it also.  What do you think?

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline solonstrong

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice fishing barometric pressure
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:56 AM »
I've gone trough a ton articles on the subject. What pressure trend do you have the best luck that's my question.

Offline Iabowhunter77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2014, 12:21 PM »
Good question and great link. Thanks!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:23 PM »
I've always been intrigued/confused/bamboozled on the subject of barometric pressure. There are so many variables that come into play with how fish will behave.  Bottom line for me is - go out when you can and make 'em bite!  Doesn't always work, of course...but that's why it's called fishin, eh?

Offline solonstrong

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:59 PM »
I don't know. The fact is I was out there during the first day of a cold front and that's a big no no. It wasn't fishing just sitting. Lol. I have better things to do than just sit and watch fish look but not bite. For me it's about finding the best times to go to be productive. But that's just me. Anything is better than work I guess.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:44 AM »
You have a point there, that's probably the instance that I'd avoid too.

Offline rjroling

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Everything's better on ice!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:55 AM »
 I personally like the challenge on the slow days.  Can't say as I've ever pounded the fish on a day when no one else is having luck, but I have not been skunked yet this year, either!!  I'm like a lot of guys - I don't have the luxury of being able to decide my fishing days based on the weather.  Way more things dictate that calendar.  Knowing a cold front is coming through just lets me know I'll have to work harder to catch anything, but I'd still rather be on the ice than sitting home watching the barometer and the Weather Channel to see when the fishing might be good.
Russ Roling

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2014, 08:03 AM »
Agreed....if I have time to go fishing and the weather isn't too extreme then I go. For me, its about getting out on the ice. If I catch fish even better.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2014, 08:19 AM »
If you are watching the weather report and the guy says "look at this low pressure ridge! It will hit us in 2 days". Get out and fish as much as you can. That will be the dropping pressure system that will start the fish (and other critters) feeding like crazy. Once it starts to bottom out the fish will hit the bottom and not feed until the system passes and the pressure starts to rise.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2014, 10:45 AM »
If you are watching the weather report and the guy says "look at this low pressure ridge! It will hit us in 2 days". Get out and fish as much as you can.

My wife has a couple of joints that hurt when a 'low pressure' is coming...if she tells me its time load the van up with the fishing gear we head out to our nearest lake  ;D

Offline ripNlips83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Falling pressue with warmer temps and light precip= my best fishing. But time of day plays the biggest factor i think.

Offline solonstrong

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2014, 08:13 PM »
I agree with some so far. Ice fishing a falling barometer with on coming warm front , the bite is the best.

Offline solonstrong

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2014, 08:16 PM »
What time of day?

Offline solonstrong

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:37 PM »
Looks like Wednesday and Thursday are gonna be awesome this week. I will report on how the bite is.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2014, 07:07 AM »
warm fronts are usually associated with rising pressure. I've read several times that rising pressure fronts bring on a good bite and fish feed aggressively. As the pressure drops below 30 and heads down, the bite lessens and fish get lethargic but if the pressure is high and stays there for too long the bite will suffer as well.

basically, if the weather has been warm and sunny for too long and the fish are laying low look for an oncoming low pressure front. The fishing will pick up while the pressure drops but when the pressure drops below 30 or bottoms out so will the fishing. Then look for the next high pressure front and fish the ride up.

Offline ripNlips83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:01 AM »
What time of day?
Daybreak to 9:30 then 3:30 till ? Kinda like hunting.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Daybreak to 9:30 then 3:30 till ? Kinda like hunting.
Yep I try to be out no later than 5 am just so I can be where I want to be before the " magic hours" then by 10:30 I'm packing up or at least changing tactics to "grind" out the day.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:36 PM »
I pay more attention to the wind direction and the moon phases. If the wind is out of the east might as well stay home. The best fishing 3 days before or after a full moon or new moon!  ;)

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2014, 11:10 PM »
X2 rising barometer around new and full moon and overcast skies  :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish: :thumbsup:
Never to many short poles

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.