Author Topic: Life Below Zero  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Life Below Zero
« on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:46 AM »
I know a little off topic.

We just completed season 1 of Life Below Zero. Just curious what those of you, living in Alaska, that have watched it, think of the depiction that is portrayed by the families represented.

WS

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Living Below Zero
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2014, 02:15 PM »
I don't watch much on the tube.  But I will say I left MN back in 95 (forest lake area btw), and moved up here.  At least back than we still had winters...its been years since you've seen this kind of weather.     Our old snowmachines were basically rotting.  I think my old mans sled has less than 300 miles on it  and its an early 90's.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:07 PM »
I don't watch shows on Alaska.  I live here, so I make my own one trip at a time ;) 
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:09 PM »
All those Alaska shows are pretty real... except for the fake stuff, the drama, EVERTHING being an emergency, or dangerous, or a life-or-death situation.  Other than that the mountains are real. :clap:

Offline kwackkillncrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:00 PM »
i actually moved up here from centerville in 2010. i have put 400 miles on my sled just this year..just depends on how you want to use it.  As for those shows they are a joke i think. They make a bear encounter way more extreme then it really is not to say you have to be careful around them but 9 times  out of 10 they can be avoided easily.  The best one i saw was that yukon men show where they were hunting specks and that was the only type of geese flying around and the producers piped in some Canadian Goose honks.
I will never be a "Prostaffer" because I dont pimp products fo free

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:46 AM »
Man my old man and I spent a pile of time on Centerville growing up.   Seems like there's a bunch of us up here.  One of my buddys from highschool owns a lodge on Kodiak.   Have 2 more in anchorage I graduated with.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:57 AM »
Funny how small the world is sometimes. What are you guys doing for work up there?

I figured the show was a lame attempt to get the drama flowing. The thing is for those of us not living in Alaska just a real portrayal of life in the bush would be exciting. What are people doing for work, how many have a trapline, how does the subsistence hunting work, how many of whatever are you allowed? It was a show we came across and I was just interested in what you people thought of it.

If I really wanted drama and near life ending adventure I could go to Minneapolis at midnight some Friday night. It wouldn't take much to get something going.

Fun to hear from you guys!

WS

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:52 AM »
I don't have cable or satellite tv. I do go down to the bar to watch MMA once in a while. No trapline..... bad year for one. I applied for a bou tag, but since they are all over the lake right nor I suspect that they will be miles away for the season. Moose are looking better.

I was north of Little Falls a couple months ago. Even hit it on the KENO machine.

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:41 AM »
I cant help you with bush living I live in town.   

I trap, but good luck finding a line.  They're not easy off the road system.   I help a guy with a 90 mile line and run a few short lines on my own.  I did take the rest of this winter off though.   

Subsistence depends if you're under federal or state.   Lots of rules.   For you as a nonres most of your tags are OTC.  You need a guide for sheep brownbear/grizzly and goats.  The rest is diy potential.

Numbers depends on species.  Caribou and deer are more than one.  Elk moose sheep goat are all one.  Caribou is 1-5 for most of us depending on area.  Bears depends on area, blacks are 1 to I think 3 for a tops. 

If you want drama go to first ave, the dance place, if it still exists lol.   

I have tv but choose not to watch it.   I have enough to do.   Speaking of enough I need to get back outside and replace a cv axle and lower ball joint.  Snapped them both in the driveway this morning.  Fun times.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:36 PM »
I don't watch shows on Alaska.  I live here, so I make my own one trip at a time ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline ice warrior

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Life Below Zero
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:25 AM »
                               I like the show for the most part @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.