Author Topic: Menno Lake  (Read 3184 times)

Offline boof

• IceShanty Rookie
Menno Lake
« on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:31 AM »
Fished Menno Lake on 1/17/14.

We didn't get on the ice until about 4 o'clock and had other commitments so we were off the ice by 6 o'clock. We set up in 12 foot of water off of the tree line. We didn't catch anything until about 5, when a school of bluegill came through and got us started. We ended up catching about a dozen bluegill in that last hour. We were marking way more fish than we were catching, so the waxy worms were only working okay. The fish were suspended from 6 foot to 8 foot and then at the bottom. We didn't keep anything, but a different fisherman had been there for about four hours had kept about 20 bluegill so far.

Offline Duece

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Menno Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:56 AM »
A buddy was there yesterday and said it was horrible, but they didn't stay that late. They moved to Scotland and caught a few there before dark. Might try to make it down there tomorrow.

Offline boof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2014, 02:47 PM »
A buddy was there yesterday and said it was horrible, but they didn't stay that late. They moved to Scotland and caught a few there before dark. Might try to make it down there tomorrow.

A group at Menno Lake had been at Scotland that morning and didn't catch anything. They were only fishing 8 foot of water at Scotland and I think most of the action has been deeper, so I could see what happened. Like I said, Menno was pretty slow right away, but the bite at sunset was hot.

Offline boof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:47 PM »
Hoping to get out there this weekend if the wind isn't awful.

Offline boof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Fished Menno Lake on 1/25/14.

I set up in 16 foot of water on some trees that I have caught crappie on in the summer. I got on the ice about noon and didn't mark many fish at all. By 4 o'clock I had caught two 17 inch bass and released them both. They were the only two fish I had marked all afternoon.

Once it got closer to dark, I started to mark fish like crazy. At some points I had fish stacked from 10-16 foot filling up the Vexlar, I just couldn't get much to bite. I ended up catching about a dozen crappie and bluegill in the last hour of daylight, but that was a fraction of what I was seeing. I was using spoons and teardrops with waxy worms. All the crappie and bluegill were released.

There was probably 10-15 other shacks on the ice. Every shack I saw moved atleast twice today, so no one was really finding the fish. I would recommend showing up close to dark and have a variety of presentations.

Offline tornadochaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2014, 11:26 AM »
go small with the baits.  smallest tungsten glow jigs tipped with 1 or 2 red spikes.  Spring bobber and 1 or 2 pound test to see the light bites.

Offline boof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:41 PM »
Hoping to return to Lake Menno or Lake Henry this weekend as it looks like the weather will be fair. I'll write a report up if I do.

Offline boof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2014, 02:06 PM »
One of my bass from last weekend, it was released. Plan on going out tomorrow, I should make it on the ice after class at about 1:30.

Offline Duece

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Nice fish. We catch a few like that in the summer on Menno.

Offline boof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:10 PM »
Fished 1/31/2014.

Got on the ice at about 2 PM. We didn't mark much for the first couple hours and didn't catch anything either. At about 5 PM we started to mark fish, but only caught a handfull of crappie and bluegill. We didn't mark nearly as much as last time and still didn't have much success getting them to bite. The group next to us wasn't having much luck, either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.