Author Topic: underwater cams  (Read 974 times)

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
underwater cams
« on: Jan 16, 2014, 11:55 AM »
I frequently see used under water cams for sale at a decent price. I've heard mixed reviews about our water clarity here and how well they work. Any local lunck or feedback?
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline fwcanoefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: underwater cams
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:06 PM »
I frequently see used under water cams for sale at a decent price. I've heard mixed reviews about our water clarity here and how well they work. Any local lunck or feedback?

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=277521.0

This thread shows you exactly what they look like in IN waters.  The one I've used looks just like it.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Thanks fwcanoefisher

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:41 PM »
I like mine but at times the water gets a little cloudy so you  need it somewhat close. Then you run into tangled fish. But I use it a lot just to see bottom type.
Gator Nation

Offline Mr. gill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2014, 01:39 PM »
Phil k has a aqua vu that fits in his pocket

Offline Moose416

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Take What You Need....Leave the Rest for Seed"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2014, 02:18 PM »
I have an original Aqua View I bought some 15+ years ago and still love it.  Nothing like watching those Bull Gills get picky and then enticing them to inhale the jig !  I've even used it on my downriggers fishing for lakers in Canadian waters and the excitement to watch one following is unbeatable.....so much so you have to watch where the boat is going now and then.  The new ones are even better with higher resolution and  color.  Never hardwater fish without it !

Offline muskydg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2014, 02:25 PM »
I just got a new marcum this year. I have had it out a couple times so far and wouldnt fish without it now. I even used it at night with the lights and it didnt seem to bother the fish. It is a great tool. Glad i got mine.

Dennis

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:47 PM »

Most of the lakes around here will allow you to see a few feet....down to 20 feet or so.   
Get something that you can see in the daylight....if that's possible. 
Do you want to record?
A camera that displays depth, water temp and has a compass is worth it IMO.
How mobile do you want to be?  The small handheld cams are pretty sweet for checking structure and finding fish and allow you to move quickly.  The full size cams are heavy and a little cumbersome but the larger screen is a must if you plan to fish for any length of time...IMO.

I have the AquaVu Micro AV (handheld) and the 760cz (full size).  I really like them both.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback. Now to sneak another piece of fishing equipment into my garage without the wife noticing

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2014, 08:30 PM »
 If going to invest in an underwater camera, be best to buy a new one. Some of the older models have really poor 'picture' quality and do not have much range. If buying a used underwater camera see if you can take it out and actually use it before committing to the purchase.

Offline tnrandy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:05 PM »
I have used the Cabelas black/white for the last 5-6 years. For clear water during daylight it worked very well. Dingy water it was ok. Camera failed this winter. The cable I suspect is the problem were it bends into the camera body. Paid less the $175, time for a new unit.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2014, 10:05 PM »
I have a older Marcum VS 350 model. Cost me $150 about 5-6 yrs ago. I works great for me. Had a couple cheaper generic UC before that, they where junk the cam lens would fog up, sent them back.

You get what you pay for, Marcum is a good one. Mine ain't foged up every.

The new more HIGH Dollar ones are LCD and colored, my older one is B/W and looks like a mini TV.

Lakes I have used my UC on.

Maxi: I can set my cam up 10-12ft out from my shanty, drop down 3 lines and see them all in deep water.
Bass: Not as clear as Maxi but still can see all 3 lines in shallower water.
Nyona: That lake has cleared up. I have one hole 26ft deep I can still see but have to set up shorter from shanty, about 5-6ft.
Never used it at Manitou so no idea.

I don't even fireup my Vexilar when using the UC, no need for it. When I see the fish suck bait in I jerk. U will catch more with a UC,why? Cause some fish can suckin and blowout your jig and you won't even know it. I don't care how sensitive your pole is some bites are undetectible. I have used 2lb test with spring bobbers and watched fish bite and not feel or detect the bite.

UCam's are just plain fun to watch, even if you don't catch a fish. 5 yrs ago up at Maxi, my "fish" looking cam must of Pe-od a smallmouth off. He would swim in and attack my cam, then dart off. About 5 minutes later he would come back and do the same thing. He did this about 3-4 times but never would hit my Rapala or live minnow.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.