Author Topic: Best Way to Respool a Tip-up  (Read 1436 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Best Way to Respool a Tip-up
« on: Dec 11, 2005, 09:28 PM »
When you get new line for your tip-ups (mine are Polar) what is the best way to respool them. or how do you get the line the tight and so on.

thanx

Offline Doe

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Best Way to Respool a Tip-up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2005, 09:53 PM »
I always do mine by hand.  I'm sure there is a faster way, but I'm meticulous with my fishing stuff.

Offline KGrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2005, 01:53 AM »
I used my cordless drill and had a friend hold the spool of line.  Got it nice and tight.  After the first time of using them, I tried to wrap them back up, no way.  Ended up taking about 1/2 the line off the spool so it would fit when wet/frozen. 

So, get it nice and tight if you want to, but it will never stay that way. 

I'm using 40lb dacron btw.  Easier on my hands when fighting big lakers. 

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2005, 05:40 AM »
i too use my variable speed cordless drill.  i simply put a pencil or dowel in the drill to strip old line off, and made a sort of a jig for my spools. it is a long machine screw that goes through the hole in spool in into the chuck of my cordless drill. i push it in till the spool is up against the dril and tighten. i start slowly and get line on there as neatly as i can beng careful to keep it even and not too tight...just snug as if i did it by hand.i recently bought a set of polars for crappie and will have to see if the same process will work. till now its been mostly heritage lakers

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2005, 01:23 PM »
Yep, the drill works great. I must spool 100 a year for customers here at the shop. Get yourself the right size socket for the nut on the spool and an adapter for the drill and away you go ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.