The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Big pike in winter?  (Read 2507 times)

Offline isaaccarlson

• IceShanty Rookie
Big pike in winter?
« on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:02 PM »
I'm not talking about 30" pike.  Those are normal.  I'm talking about 50"+ pike.  I tangle with them in the summer but don't see them in the winter.
How often do any of you tangle with big pike through the ice?  I guess you can include 40" and up if you want, but be sure to state the size.

Offline isaaccarlson

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big pike in winter?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:09 PM »
No bites?  Not even a nibble?  Doesn't anybody see these fish in the winter?  Where do they go?

Offline slabinthepan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Ive fished lake of the woods out of sportsmans lodge in the past...only pike that size that i saw were out of the mouth of the rainy river area...maybe the moving water way key...

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:39 AM »
We have caught a few around 42 using big suckers on tip ups. Only issue is they keep tripping the flags. When we use shiners no matter the size we catch northerns of all sizes.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2014, 10:51 AM »
I'm not talking about 30" pike.  Those are normal.  I'm talking about 50"+ pike.  I tangle with them in the summer but don't see them in the winter.
How often do any of you tangle with big pike through the ice?  I guess you can include 40" and up if you want, but be sure to state the size.

Unless you are fishing the Great Lakes I would like to know where you are seeing 50"+ pike in the summer in the state of WI. It is tough enough to get 40" pike. From what I have seen you are much more likely to get big pike through the ice than you are in open water, the big ones go deep into the cold water in summer. There are a few lakes around me that put out 20+ Lb pike every couple of years, but a fat 20# pike might only be maybe 40"- 44"
Unless you are confusing Pike with Muskie? 50"+ pike are a very rare breed.

Offline FiveOFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:16 AM »
Where are you getting 50"+ pike on a regular basis, I want to come fish with you. I dont think I have ever seen someone pull a 50" pike out of a WI water, unless you mean musky....even that is rare. Biggest pike I have pulled through the ice was 40". Normally pike around here are in the 20s.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2014, 01:33 PM »
In WI. a mid 30 inch pike is very respectable.

Offline RapidsJigger24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:08 PM »
The biggest I've heard of this winter was a 49" out of the Central Wisconsin area on a lake that was 5 blocks from where I grew up.  Guys pull big ones out all the time but I'm skeptical at this claim.  The only reason I feel it might be legit is because my younger cousin was fishing about 100 yards away from them when they pulled it up.  He didn't see it on the tape but when the 49" number came about he said he wouldn't have been surprised if it was that big.

"Got me a marlin!"

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2014, 02:20 PM »
49" - 50" pike through the ice would have to be pushing the 35 - 40 Lbs. mark. They get very fat in winter and full of eggs.

Offline iceman8132

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Catch one of the normal 30 inchers you were talking about and throw it on a tip-up and wait for the flag to fly. Works every time  :tipup:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:01 PM »
The biggest I've heard of this winter was a 49" out of the Central Wisconsin area on a lake that was 5 blocks from where I grew up.  Guys pull big ones out all the time but I'm skeptical at this claim.  The only reason I feel it might be legit is because my younger cousin was fishing about 100 yards away from them when they pulled it up.  He didn't see it on the tape but when the 49" number came about he said he wouldn't have been surprised if it was that big.

This happens every year all over the state. Usually it's a friend of a neighbor down the street or Uncle Billy Bob's pal from the next county over a couple weeks ago. Common thread is there's never a picture or a story or anyone who actually saw it first hand. A 50" pike would extremely rare in these parts. A 50" musky is very large and not as common as you think; that number gets batted around alot..........

I'd be thrilled with pike over 40" and a 45" would be the fish of a lifetime from Wisconsin waters, particularly inland. That said, Green Bay / Sturgeon Bay would be my first destination. Perhaps a trip to the Chequamegon Bay area on Superior would yield a fish of that size.

Please don't misunderstand and think I'm calling anyone out on any of these statements. Just been my experience over a few decades of fishing and working in tackle establishments.....

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline billebob5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:11 PM »
there's a legit 50" on the indiana state forum.  Caught in Syracuse, IN on Lake Wawasee.  if they can do it there, i'm sure there are plenty of 50's up in Wisconsin.  Maybe folks get pretty tight lipped about those monters.
Clam Bigfoot 
Marcum
Jiffy Stealth
K-Drill!

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.

Offline treblesandshiners

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:12 PM »
ive caught 5 this year biggest 34 shallows 5 foot of water lost alot and many misses

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2014, 04:15 PM »
We get some big pike BUT NOT 50 inches. The big ones are 40- 42.5 inches in the 18-23 pound range.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:41 PM »
I don't think I've ever even heard anyone try and claim a 50 from WI.  I know of some 45s and a possible 48" but that's it.

If there's a 50 out there I sure would love to see it. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2014, 07:54 AM »
Just for a frame of reference....... I fish for muskies alot. My fishing partner notched two PBs this past year. First was a trophy pike trip to Alaska in August where they caught literally dozens of fish over 40. Just one over 50, his 50.5".

In October I netted a 47" Wisconsin musky for him......he was even more thrilled with that fish. Both way better than average.

Start with the "little" one:

Now a true over 50" trophy:

My Dad used to call every musky over 36" a "four footer"........ ::) Not that there's no 50" pike in the state, just very few and very far inbetween.

/m

Offline cold nose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:57 AM »
The only 50 i can remember was by a guide from mercer Phil Graser caught  out of Ashland and was open water.Years ago! 

Offline isaaccarlson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:26 PM »
I thought they were more common.  For me, a 36" pike is just getting into the nice size range and a 40" goes in the pan for sure.  I don't take pictures too much because I am usually too busy fishing.  I don't have a boat, so I don't get into deep water too much.  I can't say where I catch them, but they are under your nose more often than you think.  Bass are the same.  I have caught a lot of nice bass within feet or inches of where others have fished for years with no luck.  My biggest largemouth was 24" and about 11 lbs.  That one tasted really good!  The real predators are out there, but you have to give them something they can't turn down.

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2014, 07:54 AM »
I have a buddy that had this "secret" spot where he caught 36" walleyes on a regular basis. After begging for a long time he finally took me fishing there....after I showed him how to use a tape measure those 36 inchers shrank by more than 10"...must have gone on an off day :wacko:
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline iceman8132

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:14 AM »
This guy can't be serious maybe he is measuring in millimeters. I've known some people that tell some tall tales but that usually goes hand in hand with fishing this guy however takes the cake for being an absolute wack job. I'd be willing to pitch in to get this guy a new tape measure.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:51 AM »
I thought they were more common.  For me, a 36" pike is just getting into the nice size range and a 40" goes in the pan for sure.  I don't take pictures too much because I am usually too busy fishing.  I don't have a boat, so I don't get into deep water too much.  I can't say where I catch them, but they are under your nose more often than you think.  Bass are the same.  I have caught a lot of nice bass within feet or inches of where others have fished for years with no luck.  My biggest largemouth was 24" and about 11 lbs.  That one tasted really good!  The real predators are out there, but you have to give them something they can't turn down.

Impressive. I wonder what I'm doing wrong................. ...  :whistle:

Offline iceman8132

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2014, 10:00 AM »
I wonder if I could rig a setup like that on my snowmobile

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Impressive. I wonder what I'm doing wrong................. ...  :whistle:

You're not completely full of crap?
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2014, 12:04 PM »
hey guys, just a heads up. next saturday 2-8-14 we are having a southern Wisconsin get together on Fox Lake. check in the wisconsin section for the post at the top of the page "A DATE HAS BEEN SET FOR THE SOUTHERN WISCONSIN MEET & GREET. COME OUT AND MEET SOME OF YOUR FELLOW ICESHANTY MEMBERS FROM WISCONSIN. HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE. WE WILL HAVE A GUIDE THERE TO HELP PEOPLE OUT SO EVERYBODY CAN CATCH FISH.

HIMO
                                                                                               Wisconsin Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2014, 02:23 PM »
This guy can't be serious maybe he is measuring in millimeters. I've known some people that tell some tall tales but that usually goes hand in hand with fishing this guy however takes the cake for being an absolute wack job. I'd be willing to pitch in to get this guy a new tape measure.

He is either fishing the great lakes / rivers like the Peshigo in spring at ice out that dump into the great lakes, or totally full of crap. 50" pike don't come very often even in Canada.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2014, 02:39 PM »
Hard to come by here in Minnesota, where we have big pike....
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #26 on: Feb 04, 2014, 10:36 AM »
I pulled a 41" out 3 weeks ago from a local lake on a Tip Down with 6# main line and a 4# leader.  Hooked right in the corner of the mouth, took close to 25 minutes to get it in. 

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2014, 02:37 PM »
I've fished in some northern Manitoba lakes where a 50" was always a possibility but pretty rare.  We would normally top out the week with our big pike being around 46-48" most years.  I have seen a legitimate 35" walleye on that same lake.  I doubt I will see that twice in my life.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:36 PM »
That's a darn nice pike Crappieguy. This time of year could be pushing the 20# mark.

Offline treblesandshiners

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:15 PM »
nice looking fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.