Author Topic: "swim bait's"  (Read 1956 times)

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
"swim bait's"
« on: Dec 10, 2005, 08:29 PM »
I have a question about the jigging rap's and others like it. Many different time's on here I've read that fish really seam to shy away from spinning lures,jigs,etc. I got a aqua-view this year and got to use it today for the first. I had it set up so I could see the lures and how they acted when I jigged them. I started with a #3 then a #5 jigging rap and when I got done working them for a sew seconds they seemed to spin slowly for a few seconds(10 or 15). I also did it with a nil's swim bait and it wasn't near as bad but it still did it a little. I guess what I'm asking is, is there something I can do to adjust them or is it just the nature of the beast? Without the camera I wouldn't have known this.
         Jim

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Re: "swim bait's"
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2005, 09:30 PM »
I think it is from jigging it continuesly, i think that if you would pause in between a few jigs, then that should fix it.

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2005, 12:31 PM »
Do you guys tie your main line directly to swim bait or use a snap. I just started using swim baits last year and have tried both but not sure what is better.

Sturgeon
Bad Day of Fishing is better than a good day of work!!!!

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2005, 03:25 PM »
The suggested knot for them is a Rapala knot, which makes the lure swim freely, and i use it all the time  :D http://www.ct-outfitters.com/images/knots/rapala.gif

Offline sturgeon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2005, 03:41 PM »
Thanks Guys

That rapala knot is a knot I use alot for crankbaits, I will start using for my swim bait too.

Thanks Again

Sturgeon
Bad Day of Fishing is better than a good day of work!!!!

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2005, 12:33 PM »
Thank's for the help guy's. I think I was jigging it too much but it sure did look neet on the camera flying, bouncing,diving,and slamin into the weed's. ;D ;D
      Jim

Offline Manny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2005, 11:23 AM »
I don't have a vex or a Aqua-Vu but when I know that a fish is there (getting small taps) but don't commit, I will lift my jigging rap real fast and hang in about 3-4 feet above the head of the fish, then pause.  Then a wiggle-wiggle and then pause.  Gives it that fleeting bait-fish look and usually, if I was getting small taps, the fish will commit, sometimes by crushing it.  I do this often even when I am not getting taps.

As mentioned before though, the pauses are real important.

Manny
The minute you stop learning is the minute you are 6FT under.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.