The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Down the hole!  (Read 3069 times)

Offline SnowedOutMT

• IceShanty Rookie
Down the hole!
« on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Over the weekend my Dad had his trusty ice scoop hanging on the side of the shelter and a gust of wind knocked it off and right down the hole it went. I'm not even sure it touched the sides of the hole on the way down!

Those holes have a special gravity to them and I was wondering what others have lost into the abyss?
That fish that took my pole down the hole is having a much worse day than I am.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Down the hole!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:04 PM »
cell phone!
Dad still pics on me and says that he got a call from a perch the other day! :-\

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:30 PM »
The reason I quit using a 10" hole when fishing with kids is due to the fact that my littlest was about 20 months and I almost lost him down a hole as well as several other things so I went to a 8" hole.  I've seen scoops, spud bars, cleats, and even my daughters boot go down a hole.  (Daughter was so upset but daddy fished her boot out and after she woke up from an ice shanty nap it was dry and she was ready to go again!)

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:31 PM »
I dropped my phone in while ling fishing, i was using the flashlight app at the time. I watched as the light spiraled 13' to the bottom and sat there shining at me for about 15 minutes, then the battery light blinked and it died, I was impressed how long it lasted!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Dropped my camera down the hole in 10' of murky water, no way to see it. I was pissed for about 5 minutes as there was no way I could figure to get it until I remembered the obvious, that it had a neoprene lanyard on it so I figured that had to be floating up into the water column. After about 15 minutes of jigging I actually hooked the camera, not the lanyard, and hauled it in! Love the waterproof camera:)

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2014, 09:55 PM »
I've lost Ice cleats kicking in thin ice on day old holes.  A buddy lost his good rod down the hole but after about 5-10 minutes of jigging and he had it back from the abyss.

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:01 PM »
My dad lost a small gaf down his hole one time. This was on lake George in better then 125' of water. Well he was back at his spot a few weeks later and pulls up his gaf on his jig. He was more impressed with himself that he was able to line up his spot with landmarks that good.

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:03 PM »
Recently lost a cell phone sitting an my lap texting my wife while catching crappies.  Stood up to grab a fish and down she went didnt even touch the sides.  Only good thing was I out fished my buddy 43 to 12.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline Hunter2005

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:03 PM »
Best thing we ever retrieved was an ice scoop from Devils Lake...We were messing with my under water camera and spotted it...It took more than to get it out of the hole but we still use it...

Offline SnowedOutMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:20 PM »
It's nice to know that all hope is not lost if you're armed with a large treble hook...
That fish that took my pole down the hole is having a much worse day than I am.

Offline beerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:04 PM »
OK this is a true fishing story no bs. Me and a buddy were up at crooked creek fishing in a fish trap. We were jigging in the trap with tip ups out side and one good rod with a $50 reel on it  just outside my window with a bobber on it.  I looked out the window and saw my bobber was down! Sweet! Not so much. flipped the trap up and ran over to the hole and dang it my pole was gone. Ticked off and it was getting dark I started packing a few things into things into the truck and we get a flag. He yells bring the gaff ! I take off running by him to get the gaff back at the shanty and he sticks his hand down the hole and pulls up something. I'm like what the heck is that. He starts laughing and Says its your fishing rod!!!!! I'm like what the heck and thrilled but confused????? He then says get the gaff the fish is still on there. Really confused now. I get the gaff back to the hole just as he gets the head of this fish up the hole and pull it out. 35" northern with my jig still stuck in his mouth. Haha unbelievable this guy drug my pole around the lake for 20 min and decided to hit the tip up. He was happy with his fish and I was thrilled to get my entire setup back.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:20 AM »
Cell phone..........bad thing it was a work cell phone so I had to go tell my boss I lost it down my icehole and needed a new one. He laughed and got me a new one.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:26 AM »
Wow...all of these cell phone kerplunk stories! Guess it's a sign of the times.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline ShAnTyBoB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Got a small suitcase style ice hut and twice ive tried getting up and out and lost a leatherman so who ever said the holes have there own gravitational force is dead right I've lost more things down an ice hole scoops pole holders bells

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:08 AM »
OK this is a true fishing story no bs. Me and a buddy were up at crooked creek fishing in a fish trap. We were jigging in the trap with tip ups out side and one good rod with a $50 reel on it  just outside my window with a bobber on it.  I looked out the window and saw my bobber was down! Sweet! Not so much. flipped the trap up and ran over to the hole and dang it my pole was gone. Ticked off and it was getting dark I started packing a few things into things into the truck and we get a flag. He yells bring the gaff ! I take off running by him to get the gaff back at the shanty and he sticks his hand down the hole and pulls up something. I'm like what the heck is that. He starts laughing and Says its your fishing rod!!!!! I'm like what the heck and thrilled but confused????? He then says get the gaff the fish is still on there. Really confused now. I get the gaff back to the hole just as he gets the head of this fish up the hole and pull it out. 35" northern with my jig still stuck in his mouth. Haha unbelievable this guy drug my pole around the lake for 20 min and decided to hit the tip up. He was happy with his fish and I was thrilled to get my entire setup back.

It's amazing how well they will ignore a hook when they are hungry. My brother and I had two tipups quite far apart last year on Devil's Lake in early April and had one go off and then shortly afterward the second went off. When we tried to bring them in we ended up doing a tug of war for a minute before we figured out that the same pike had swallowed both minnows and was solidly hooked on both tipups.

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Got a small suitcase style ice hut and twice ive tried getting up and out and lost a leatherman so who ever said the holes have there own gravitational force is dead right I've lost more things down an ice hole scoops pole holders bells
I also lost a leatherman down a hole last year :(.....I put my new one away soon as im done using it now ;)  Almost lost my phone couple times.
]

Offline fishnvaughn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Two weeks ago lost a tip up do to the wind!   We were able to snag it though.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2014, 12:13 PM »

How big of a hole you using!!!  ;)

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline jiggin365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2014, 01:25 PM »

Had that happen last year.  Wind/warm unthawed the ice/slush around the tipup and made it slick, then blew into the hole.  Fished it out with a jigging spoon in 8fow.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Lost a cellphone a couple of years ago. It was on my belt, and when I sat down on my bucket I heard a splash next to me. There was a hole right next to me and it just hit it perfect! You should have heard the gal when I was trying to explain to her what had happened. She was obviously from back east somewhere, and couldn't fathom what I was talking about. They did replace it though. Get that insurance boys!!! ::)

Offline grizinidaho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Had my cell phone bounce off both sides of the hole the other day and I swatted it midair before it hit net.  Thought I broke it shot  30 feet away in the air and slid another bit on the ice but saved it...almost pooped my pants.  Saw a guy the other day with a tennis ball on the end of a string on his ice scoop.  I'm guessing he learned the hard way but it gave me a good idea.

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2014, 05:12 PM »
lost my phone a few years ago on lake mary, watched it sink straight to the bottom of the lake on my vexilar, buddy lost his hemostats yesterday too haha seen flashlights go down as well as poles and even a tackle box!

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2014, 05:15 PM »
lost my phone a few years ago on lake mary,... and even a tackle box!

Now I wouldn't care about my darn cell phone--- But i would CRY if it was my tackle box!!!

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Now I wouldn't care about my darn cell phone--- But i would CRY if it was my tackle box!!!
my buddy dropped his tackled box haha not me, mines big enough it wont fit down there but if it did id be buying a wetsuit some goggles and a chainsaw end of story

Offline Polar Hawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Last year I sprung for a good set of sunglasses $180. First time out with them they fell off the top of my head down the hole they went. Back to $10 glasses.

Offline ElkNut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:08 AM »
I took a friend ice fishing last Sunday for his first time, he is one of the most enthusiastic outdoorsmen I've ever met. We've had alot of really fun adventures together. He was all lined up already with gear, shanty, sled, etc. Anyways, the tempereature at Tiber was -22 degrees for his first outing and I really didnt want to get out of the shanty to get one of my spare J hooks to put on the end of my rod to dead stick a smelt, so I borrowed his. Then, he borrowed MY pocket knife...
When I was finished with the J hook I set it back on his box and it got bumped, the hook bounced, spun, tumbled, and for some reason jumped right in the hole! We both laughed because it was just a hook. Then, my knife that was still not in my pocket got bumped on the ice and landed right next to the hole, the blade was hanging over the edge and the handle was hanging onto the slippery ice for dear life! I said, "Joe, I have never been mad at you before, but if that knife would have went through that hole, I would have been beyond mad!" ha ha. So really, I've only seen a J hook go down the hole, so far. But, if my pocket knife would have landed on the bottom of Tiber, I too would have got out my chainsaw and dive gear to retrieve it.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:13 AM »
I've donated sunglasses all over the PNW too. Sticking with the 10$ ones.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:45 AM »
yep, that's why I keep my cellphone zipped up in my pocket... I know it'll end up down a hole sooner or later, lol! Last time I was out I had my jiggin rod on my knee as I dug for a waxie. The rod dropped off and fortunately landed across the hole! Unfortunately the reel was in the hole! The dang thing froze into a block of ice in half a minute! Good thing I had extras, lol!

Offline 4reel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2014, 12:31 PM »
I've lost one of my favorite rods down the hole but the funniest story was up on Sutherland I had a new camera and we were looking down the hole and my $50 sunglasses fell in ,as I wsa steaming about this for a min. or so my buddy started lauhging histericaly as he watched my glasses 40ft below us folded nicely fluttering to the bottom,that was so funny I forgot all abut the price of the sunglasses @) (until I told the wife :o)

Offline Fightinwildfire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Lost my cell phone on the ice yesterday, luckily i backed up my phone last week. i would have been sad to loose all 3,000 pictures on my phone. Sad day
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.