The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Twin lakes (Greensburg)  (Read 5737 times)

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
Twin lakes (Greensburg)
« on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Checked the ice today, the breast me the lower lake had 4 inches to the stress crack, fished for 45. Min. Caught two brown trout.  Heading out tommorow fom 8 till 12.    And Thursday fom 7:00 untill 17:00. If anyone want to come out I will be there on the aforementioned times.

Offline GUBoots

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Twin lakes (Greensburg)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2014, 07:15 AM »
So forgive me if this has been sorted out before...but which one are you talking about? Looking at a map, the #2 reservoir is more south but seems to be referred to as the Upper twin, #1 is the lower twin...?

Also, do you have any tips on a bait shop (minnows preferred, but waxworms or spikes ok) out that way?

edit: Lucky guy is supposed to be out on the ice right now, help from anyone else?

Offline Bluefox

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jiggin' Fool
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2014, 07:52 AM »
The lake closer to the railroad tracks is the upper lake, the one with the boat house is the lower. There is a gander mountain a few miles away,but not sure if they have any bait. Hope this helps.

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:58 AM »
The upper lake is on a hill above the lower lake hence the names.  Has nothing to with north/south orientation.

Offline GUBoots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:29 PM »
The upper lake is on a hill above the lower lake hence the names.  Has nothing to with north/south orientation.

That makes perfect sense...Thanks

I might give one a shot tonight if I can sneak out of work a little early

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2014, 05:48 PM »
Both Lakes have pretty good ice.  I saw 6 other guys on ice today.  If you are looking for wax worms walmart seems to always have a good stock.  heading out in the morning gonna start on the upper lake.

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2014, 01:25 PM »
wanna hit twin early n the AM is anyone else venturing out

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Was there all day today.  Killed the crappie and perch on the upper lake near the breast.  22 ft Of water,  Ratso jig tipped with a minnow.  Caught three crappie over 1 lb dead sticking a minnow hooked through the back suspended at at 18 ft.  Another fella was crushing them fish a brass, perch colored buck tail tipped with a maggot.  Good luck.

Offline GUBoots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:29 AM »
Haha, I showed up pretty late yesterday on the upper lake. Didn't have time to grab any bait (mistake) got blanked on plastics, but also my first time there, didn't find the deeper water. I was in maybe 10-12ft every hole I drilled, but at least I got out and had "fun" trying to keep my dog out of my line...Only had about 2 hours to fish, will give it another try (with bait) sometime though, since someone has been having some success.

Offline icerfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Animals, There Delicous :)
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:20 PM »
 Surprised there were not more guys out tonite .I was the only guy on upper lake
bite was good fished 230-600 pm got 1 14 inch crappie.Did see 2 guys on lower lake think the rain coming will be stopping most guys from going out tomorrow.ice about 5 inches top 2 turning soft white.

Offline GUBoots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2014, 11:45 AM »
Anyone tried these this week? how's ice and how's the bite?

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2014, 12:02 PM »
I was wondering too
would like to hit the upper lake before iceout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2014, 03:32 AM »
I checked tuesday.  Both lakes did not look safe I will post the conditions after the next freeze.

Offline GUBoots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2014, 09:05 AM »
Appreciated CrappieHunter, I live about an hour away, so its nice to know I'll be able to get out before I drive that far.

Offline icerfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Animals, There Delicous :)
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2014, 03:53 PM »
  This is for both lakes they look about the same.Stopped by after work today
there is about 1 1/2 inches of ice as far as i could reach with spud bar.
There also are cracks that go out 35 plus yard that you can see water sipping out.
I would think ice is only 2 inches out farther there is no way to get out and check. All edges around
lake looked the same.  The ice that is there is hard and lake is locked up but not all
edges.

Offline GUBoots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:23 AM »
Thanks icer, maybe I'll wait til tomorrow afternoon or Sunday morning, with the temps dropping tonight

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:16 AM »
Checked both lakes this afternoon.  The edges of the lower lake are aprox. 1" and the edge of the upper near the breast is about 1 1/2".  Will check tommorow and let you know. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Stopped at twin lakes after fishing Muddy Creek section of Arthur.  The lower lake was checked by some one who drilled a few holes I walked out aprox 10ft to there first hole it was aprox 2-2.5.  I then went up to the top lake and there was two guys on the lake near the center they told me that the ice was 3 inches of solid ice.  I checked some of there holes that they drilled on the there way out and they were 3.5 inches of solid ice.  It will probably be a solid 4 inches tomorrow.

Offline GUBoots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2014, 04:41 AM »
Ya Crappie, that was me and my dad out there. I normally like more ice than what was there, but one you got away from the shore line, it was pretty solid. Very consistent and no cracking sounds while drilling, we ended up feeling pretty comfortable. Too bad the bite was slow, probably going to try it again here this morning.

Good luck to every one else going out this week, looks like we are going to have some good weather coming up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2014, 07:28 AM »
GUBoots,  I will probably fish both lakes Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.  Might give green lick a look; it is another great panfish lake in Mt. Pleasant.  For some reason it freezes allot  slower than any of the other lakes in the area. I have caught allot of nice crappie and gills there, the perch are stunted at about 8-9 inches but they are still fun to catch.  I have landed a few walleye there and have heard of some musky being caught there as well.  Good luck out there and stay safe.  please let me know how you did today.

Offline GUBoots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2014, 04:03 PM »
I had no idea (who pays attention to signs?) that they closed the gates to the parking areas until 9...But thats when we got out on the upper lake and started fishing. We walked off with 3 crappie, 10-12in and 2 perch 8 & 10in, certainly didn't kill em today, but the soft bites kept you entertained/busy enough to pass a few hours. another guy said he had caught 3 trout on maggots. I'll be out tomorrow morning, but Tues and thurs will be at work...might get out there saturday.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2014, 04:47 PM »
Good to hear,  I'll be on the upper lake at 630 ish tommorow.  If you park on the other side of the lake near pavilion 8 ( I think), they do not lock that one. I be In the same black suit as the other day.  See you in the am.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2014, 02:19 PM »
Fished the top lake this morning 6:30 till 9:30 the ice near the breast was very sketchy and began to crack every I walked,  it measured 4 inches but it just did not feel safe.  Moved to the bottom lake and continued to fish until 11:30, the ice felt a lot safer.  Total I caught 2 crappies (keepers) and 4 trout.  I am gonna start off on the lower lake tommorow hope the ice holds up.

Offline GUBoots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:31 AM »
Ya I only fished the upper til 11am, got 2 good perch on a tip up and and 13in Largemouth on a deadstick. All out of the same hole, no good bites while jigging or in any other hole. The ice was cracking as you drilled and walked around and I agree was making me feel a bit uneasy.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Fished the lower lake today 9:00 till 3:30 slow bite but was a good day over all.  Ice on the boat house side was about 4" solid black ice.  The breast at the end of the walk way to the other side had 5"+ of good ice.

Offline fishrmn24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2014, 04:10 PM »
Thanks for the update!  Planning on getting out tomorrow morning, not sure which lake though.  Anyone on the upper lake today?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Not that I saw

Offline GUBoots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:53 AM »
How about the snow, did most of it get blown off? Hoping this cold can really do some work on them...

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:26 PM »
Fished the lower lake this morning for an hour.  There was like 3" of snow and it did not appear to make any ice last night.  There was a large pressure crack with wet snow on top that formed last night.  Thought for sure we would get like another 1/2" or so last night with the temp in the neg.

Offline GUBoots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate the update. sucks, but we have a few more days, maybe the cold will overcome the snow insulation.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.