Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2014  (Read 74144 times)

Offline backdraft

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2014
« Reply #120 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:00 PM »
7-8 shacks now at boat launch area....ice is real good, at least 10 inches.   fished this morning, left by 1:30, before the steady, harder rain.  two lakers (both small) from the shack in about 30 ft of water and one nice 20 inch rainbow on a tip-up, in about 4-5 feet of water.  That one will be eaten tonight for dinner.  UNUSUAL WEATHER WE'RE HAVING HERE. AIN'T IT......   

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #121 on: Jan 11, 2014, 02:13 PM »
Watch out Guinea you will be walking the plank with me.  :( Capt. how does the plank work on the ice?  ???

We usually place it over the bait hole (big enough for a person). As for Guinea, who do you think will push you off the end.  ;) HARRRR. JK  ;D

Nice job backdraft.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #122 on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:49 PM »
just got off lake....the rest of the circus was still out there......'WHAT A mess !!!.....yesterday was a beatutiftull day and was able to pull up 6 lakers
but today only one...lakertaker owned the board today with 11......
was fun watching troutfreak do donuts around taints house..radio chat....good food...
but tomorrow should be interesting with all this rain and wind Coming.

good job backdraft...!!
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #123 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:49 PM »
01/11 Saturday

Got to the lake at 0 dark 30. Freezing rain, ice all over the road and covered the wheeler.

Well, I did it! I busted my "H" today! Got a laker on motivator / spring line using a dead smelt. Then a bit later jigged up a 28" cusk, ~ six pounds. Caught that on a perch colored bucktail and smelt. It swam by the hole a couple of times so I could see that it had the barb through it's snout so little chance of loosing it. It fought pretty good for a cusk.
CH managed to pull one out of her hide quarters at the last minute on a tip up.

Tried out the new marcum 825 camera and it works really nice. Good and clear visablity.

Wet and rainy all day, at times pretty hard. Fun to watch troutfreak and taint do donuts around each others house spraying snow, water and slush. Got it on GoPro.....

Back at it tomorrow morning.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #124 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:52 PM »
OK, but we want to see the donut footage during the week sometime when you have a chance.  :roflmao: :roflmao:
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #125 on: Jan 12, 2014, 09:20 AM »
Nice one Capt!
Conrats on the busting, Jiggin!

Ladybug and I made it out. We both had flags soon after we were there, hit and runs, but neither of us caught anything.

I'm airing everything out today....everything got soaked! I wore all my finest wool, and ladybug had her ski pants and water resistant jacket, for all the good that did!  :)
We had an awesome day though!

Frog came out for a visit. Then we saw lightning and heard thunder so we all got out of the portable to watch it. That's when it started to pour, and the stove got soaked and wouldn't light. That was when it was time to go lol.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #126 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Had a blast out there this weekend.  Broke my H, too.  One laker on Saturday and one today.  Saw a bunch on the camera.  Had a couple of hits on the motorvator, but the redfins I was using were too big for the small trout to get a good hook set.  Tried a shallow spot for rainbows with a tipup and salmon eggs, but no luck there.  Took my 8 y/o out with me this morning.  He had a couple hits and that got him pretty excited.  He loved watching the trout come in on the camera.  He asked about going again next week, so that's a good sign.  He kept doing what he called his "fish call" by yelling down the hole.  Seemed like every time he did it, the fish would come in.  Too funny.  I should have gotten a video of it.  He even got on the walkie talkie. 
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #127 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:06 PM »
yea it was a fun weekend...took friday off...and got 6 ....good to hear your son on the walkie talkie trortutfreak.....was a trooper today in those conditions!!
i ended up with 9 for the weekend, not even close to lakertakers ....well i lost count....he had 11 on sat.

alot of water out there today......hope it butttons up
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #128 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:25 PM »
1/12/2014

No rain today! However the lake was a big pool of water....no high spots to move the house onto. Water was running down the holes....that's bad. Laker Taker, Tippin and I decided to drill holes in the ice so the water would go down thus drying up the lake, run it away from our houses. It worked, we got rid of a ton of water that was on the ice...no need to move the houses now.

Tried out the 3.5 Premier Legend Jiffy auger Marcel fixed for me.....no problems at all. Started right up and had plenty of torque. Probably why they changed them from a 3.5hp to a 3.0hp.

Good day although both CH and I were skunked.

Saw the most unusual thing today, Tippin lost his bucktail in the snout of a laker today and that Laker stayed right under his hole, just sitting there. Never swam off, just stayed right there in front of the camera. He jigged right next to it and it stayed right there, like a pet lake trout. Tried to hook it with a treble hook to get the bucktail back but it scared it yet it wouldnt leave. I'm pretty sure I saw it Twerking down there, rolling around, kicking up dust. Got it on GoPro.

Will go out tomorrow night and check on the conditions / houses. Will report back.

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #129 on: Jan 12, 2014, 06:11 PM »
1/12/2014

No rain today! However the lake was a big pool of water....no high spots to move the house onto. Water was running down the holes....that's bad. Laker Taker, Tippin and I decided to drill holes in the ice so the water would go down thus drying up the lake, run it away from our houses. It worked, we got rid of a ton of water that was on the ice...no need to move the houses now.

Tried out the 3.5 Premier Legend Jiffy auger Marcel fixed for me.....no problems at all. Started right up and had plenty of torque. Probably why they changed them from a 3.5hp to a 3.0hp.

Saw the most unusual thing today, Tippin lost his bucktail in the snout of a laker today and that Laker stayed right under his hole, just sitting there. Never swam off, just stayed right there in front of the camera. He jigged right next to it and it stayed right there, like a pet lake trout. Tried to hook it with a treble hook to get the bucktail back but it scared it yet it wouldnt leave. I'm pretty sure I saw it Twerking down there, rolling around, kicking up dust. Got it on GoPro.

Will go out tomorrow night and check on the conditions / houses. Will report back.

that is pretty cool letting the water out, funny, i tried that before in my rowboat but it did'nt work well.
funny trout.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #130 on: Jan 12, 2014, 06:25 PM »
1/12/2014

Lol, reminds me of the 3 stooges when Curly starts drilling into the bottom of the boat to let the water out with a water letter outer.. ;)2
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline CA1492

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:27 AM »
1/12/2014

Hey, good idea.  That's the reverse of the Redneck Zamboni = ice auger + generator + sump pump.
~CA1492

Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #132 on: Jan 13, 2014, 09:20 AM »
We really had to do something as the water was doing the swirlies in our holes under the houses. My tip up hole started out as 10" and by the end of the day, it was 15" or so.....with this much water on the lake, our houses would potentially of been swallowed up within 24 hours even though there is 15" of ice.
The wind was driving the water (as much as 8" deep on the lake in some areas) down toward our houses. We either had to move the houses in the high winds (which would suck) or stop the water from coming and draining in our holes under the house.

There was literally a lake on the lake and with the weight of the houses, it tends to drive the water to the lowest point (under our houses) where the ice sags the most. After drilling holes in the deep water areas, within a few hours you could see the water subside and high spots on the ice were now visible in case we did need to bump the houses to higher ice.

That's what this circus is all about, helping each other out to do what is necessary so that we can continue to fish and have fun.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #133 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:51 PM »
1/13/2014

Went out tonight and checked on the houses. All looks good....I sent text pics of their houses to those that I checked. Everyone is high and dry.
All the water is gone at the north end of Mayhew, holes didnt open up too much either.
From Cummings beach to the north end of Mayhew, there is a skim coat of ice and water underneath, but once you got to the north end, it was solid.

Met a family from New Zealand taking photos of the lake, they wanted to take panorama pics of the lake so I brought Conner out to the middle of Cummings so he could take some pics. Set up a tri-pod and took several pics so that it would make a complete circle from where we stood. Then once back to shore, I took their pics of the entire family with the bobhouses in the background. If they had shown up earlier, I would of taken them to the north end of Mayhew to check it out....they were in awe of the ice, scenery, sky / clouds, bobhouses, beach and the general area. It's nice when out of staters (they were from out of country) come here and tell you how magnificent this area is. Hits home and makes you appreciate living here and not to take it for granted. I thanked them.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #134 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Got out on Newfound this weekend. Of course the weather couldn't have been worse but we still stuck it out. All the but one laker came jigging. The rainbow was caught jigging too (not my by me unfortunately). The lakers were supper aggressive. You could see them come shooting up on the flasher and crush your jig, sometimes four or five times in a row.

We also caught some perch, but none were very big. No pictures of them unfortunately. All in all, we caught close to ten lakers between Saturday and Sunday.

The amount of water on the lake on Sunday was insane, there were some rivers out there! The flash of lightning on Saturday was a good scare, especially with an auger over my shoulder.

Already can't wait to get up to Newfound again. I wanted to get on the walkie talkies and give a shout to the Circus, but we couldn't find them in the house.

Marking anything?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #135 on: Jan 13, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Great report Brendog9!

Thanks for posting up and hope to chat with you and your group soon!

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #136 on: Jan 13, 2014, 07:06 PM »
Great report Brendog9!

Thanks for posting up and hope to chat with you and your group soon!

Absolutely. We'll definitely be up for the derby next month. There are talks we might come up again this weekend.

Saturday may have been the worst conditions I've fished in. No bob house or shelter. Just a man, his thoughts and a jigging rod...
Marking anything?

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Jan 13, 2014, 08:53 PM »
I know it's a mutual thing, Jiggin.
But it's awful nice of you to check on all the houses and make sure their safe & sound at night.
Kudos to you..  :clap:
What a great troupe the circus family is.

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #138 on: Jan 14, 2014, 05:24 AM »
But it's awful nice of you to check on all the houses and make sure their safe & sound at night.

I agree. I love riding my quad as much as the next guy, but that's got to be a lot of running around on the lake and at night on top of it. Kudos to ALL you folks up there. I feel that you really take this sport to the next level on the fun scale.   :thumbsup:
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #139 on: Jan 14, 2014, 05:35 AM »
No bob house or shelter. Just a man, his thoughts and a jigging rod...

And his beer, don't forget the beer. Nice job Brendog9. Way to tough it out.

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #140 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:50 AM »
And his beer, don't forget the beer. Nice job Brendog9. Way to tough it out.

The beers were flowing. Had to drink 'em quick because of the rain though!
Marking anything?

Offline backdraft

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #141 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:55 AM »
Hey, Brendog9....Those Darlington Braves used to steamroll us on the football field when I was a youngin in pop warner.  We played one game at McCoy stadium, another bad result.  Nice job on the ice this weekend.....homey.
   set out two tip ups in 4 ft. with salmon eggs yesterday afternoon (Monday), till dark....no luck.  Was alone as far as I could see....peaceful, nice temperature and no wind, great sunset....all good.  The ice was fine, the rain water was mostly froze up, the shore at the boat launch was wet but O.K. to go over with the 4 wheeler.  Didn't see any problems with the shacks in the area.....

Offline backdraft

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #142 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:59 AM »
oh yeah....I forgot....      Nice kid story Troutfreak...I blinked my eyes and my sons went from 8 yrs old to 30 plus yrs old.  It all goes so fast.  Enjoy!!!!

Offline beerhog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Jan 14, 2014, 02:34 PM »
backdraft I am your next door at boat launch I am the brown 4x6 north of u will b out there tonight to check on shack good to here the water is just about gone  hope tonight is just as good had tie down holes open a little bit but more worried about holes under house

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #144 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:51 PM »
1/14/2014

Psycho and Houndog checked houses tonight. All look good.

Troutfreak they mentioned you had a slight swirly going on under your house in one of your holes.

Rest were good.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #145 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Deep fried cusk tonight.....awesome!

Some left over for lunch tomorrow.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Thanks to the Circus crew for all the updates on ice conditions. Nice to see what the ice is doing daily.. Hope there is plenty of ice for the derby this year!
Been a few years since I have fished there..Looking forward to it!
Jig em up!

Offline backdraft

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Jan 15, 2014, 06:50 AM »
headed out this morning, eventually, and I will check on all the shacks at the boat launch......    including yours HOG

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:03 AM »
Hats off to you Jiggin
Great Video and soundtrack

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #149 on: Jan 15, 2014, 09:09 AM »

You guys are the cat's "behind" up there... doin' it the way it should be done!   I hope I can swing the March 1 meet-and-greet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.