Author Topic: Lowrance Elite 7 installation?  (Read 22088 times)

Offline seedman76

• IceShanty Rookie
Lowrance Elite 7 installation?
« on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:21 PM »
I'm looking for some help on how I hook up my Lowrance Elite 7 for ice fishing?  I called Lowrance and they instructed me to purchase the ice ducer model # PTI-WBL and power cable model # PC-30-RS422 that fit this unit.  I did just that.  What I'm not clear on is how to hook the power cable to the positive/negative battery terminals on my 12volt battery.  I'm not sure what all the wires on the power cable are for.  It has two main wires.  One main wire has a black, yellow and red wire.  The second main wire has yellow, orange, blue and green wires.  I'm not sure what all the individual colors are and how to connect it to my battery.  Any advice would be great.  Thank you.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Re: Lowrance Elite 7 installation?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:36 PM »
Power
Power / Data cable
Power (3 wire)
Yellow No Connect
Red (FUSE)+
Black—

http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance-Documents/US/Elite-7_IG_988-10438-001_w.pdf

<{{{{°>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:24 AM »
Just hook up the red to battery positive, and black to battery negative.  All the other wires do not get used unless networked to other equipment on a boat.

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2013, 03:16 PM »
seedman, you should have gotten a fuse/fuse holder and two crimp connectors with your power cord.  Make sure you connect one end of the fuse holder, red wire, to the red power wire on the power cord using one of the crimp connectors.  Then connect the other end of the fuse holder, red wire, to the positive terminal of the battery.  The black wire goes to negative.  The yellow wire is not used.  The other wires in the second cable are for NMEA communications, you won't use them, just tape over them to keep them from touching anything.  If you go back to 17 Dec 2013 in this Ice Fishing With Electronics you will find a post I made on the Elite 5 HDI, many things are similar and you may find some help there.  You may want to get the Ice Transducer Float Kit 000-10442-001, ~$7.95 retail.

Offline seedman76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2013, 09:23 PM »
Thank you all for the information.  Very clear and helpful.  I'm glad to know the connection will be that simple...now I can get on the ice even quicker.  May the fish be biting...

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2014, 06:00 AM »
Can I ask what it cost/ I also have a elite7
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2014, 09:29 AM »
keeping an eye on this thread, I too have the elite 7 on my boat and was curious about using it on the ice.  Any plans on how your going to mount it or transport it?

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2014, 08:18 PM »
I have the 5 HDI in the PPP-18I Ice Pack.  I looked at the dimensions of the 7, if it fits in the Ice Pack it would tight but it just might make it, then you got a nice carrying case with the battery included.  If you know someone close by with an Ice Pack you might see if it will fit.  Did not check on the power draw on the 7, may draw the battery down a bit quicker.

Offline seedman76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2014, 10:25 PM »
seedman, you should have gotten a fuse/fuse holder and two crimp connectors with your power cord.  Make sure you connect one end of the fuse holder, red wire, to the red power wire on the power cord using one of the crimp connectors.  Then connect the other end of the fuse holder, red wire, to the positive terminal of the battery.  The black wire goes to negative.  The yellow wire is not used.  The other wires in the second cable are for NMEA communications, you won't use them, just tape over them to keep them from touching anything.  If you go back to 17 Dec 2013 in this Ice Fishing With Electronics you will find a post I made on the Elite 5 HDI, many things are similar and you may find some help there.  You may want to get the Ice Transducer Float Kit 000-10442-001, ~$7.95 retail.
Douger -- You are correct, that's exactly what is in the power cord box.  I'll wire it up just that way.  Before seeing your post I also called Lowrance Customer Service and that's exactly what they told me as well.  I appreciate the help.  Thanks for the information. 

Offline seedman76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:21 PM »
Can I ask what it cost/ I also have a elite7
Bee-  Assuming by "what it cost" you mean the ice ducer and power adapter, they were $69.95 and $29.95 respectively.  I ordered them directly from Lowrance.  Searching the internet I could find these parts elsewhere but they weren't any cheaper so I decided to go directly with Lowrance as I could trust the site and their customer service was excellent.  The ice ducer and power cable part numbers you need to order are listed aboce in this post.  I bought my Elite 7HDI this summer and rigged it up on my boat.  I wasn't sure how well it would work for ice fishing vs. buying a separate flasher.  On 12/27 I posted this very question on iceshanty.com and every reply I got said rig up the Elite 7 for ice fishing...that I would love it.  It was also a lot cheaper to go that route.  If you want to read that post seach for the subject line "Use Lowrance Elite 7 or buy a new flasher?" or click on this link (if the link works) http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=264324.msg2721293#msg2721293.  I found in the menus that the Elite 7 has an ice mode and a split screen flasher mode.  If you have any trouble finding those menus let me know and I'll provide details on how to navigate to them.

Offline seedman76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:03 PM »
A couple weeks back I called Lowrance about the PPP-18I Ice Pack that is mentioned on their website.  If I remember correctly their website states it fits all Elite sonars but I was skeptical it fit the Elite 7.  They confirmed it does not (at least that's what one CSR told me over the phone).  He said it only fits the Elite 5, not the Elite 7.  I don't know anyone who has one so I couldn't confirm this.  For my intial go round I was just going to use a 5 gallon bucket.  This is my initial stab so once I know what I like/don't like maybe I can rig up something better.  I'm lucky in that my boat is older and I didn't have the space to permanently mount my Elite 7 on the dash so I mounted it to a black painted green treated piece of plywood.  In the summer it sits on the floor of my boat and I can move it from front to back whereever I'm fishing from.  To remove the unit from my boat it's as simple as unplugging the connections on the back and I'm ready to head for the ice. 

Also, the ice ducer doesn't come with a float.  I read a post on ice shanty about transducer floats and it was about a 50/50 split to those who used one vs. those who said they're a waste of money.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:49 PM »
I have the Ice Pack with my Elite 5 on it. My 7 is on the boat and buried in snow. I may dig it out and see how it fits.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:28 PM »
The 5 is pretty tight in the case and I would think that the 7 would be too wide to work.

Offline seedman76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Bee -- Purple Floyd is probably right but if get your Elite 7 dug out of the snow bound boat let us know if it'll fit.  I'd buy the Ice Pack in a heartbeat if it did.  The way it's priced it turns out to be a pretty good deal since it comes with a battery which I had to buy separate anyway.  Thanks.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2014, 12:57 PM »

Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2014, 12:34 PM »
I just got finished putting my elite 7 hdi in the blue lowrance bag.  Just cut a board to fit the base of the bag and mounted it the same way as it was on the boat.  Leave room for the battery in the back. Took less than 5 mins.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2014, 03:12 AM »
Another idea would be to what I did with my humminbird. I bought a blue vexilar gentz box and mounted the base for my bird to that. I think i only gave like 15 bucks for the gentz pack off of fleabay

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.