Author Topic: New Ice Auger, PLZ Chime in: Thinking of a Strikemaster Honda  (Read 5483 times)

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
I've read reviews.  Any first hand experiences out there?
One review says cold weather forget it they won't start.  hmmmmm
Blades made in China aren't long for the world?

I love the setup but want to latch onto the best machine given information thats reliable. 
My Jiffy weighed "a lot" and my shoulder isn't the best so lugging it around was becoming a pain.
FYI, I won't touch an eskimo but

Feel free to chime in.

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New Ice Auger, PLZ Chime in: Thinking of a Strikemaster Honda
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2013, 10:11 PM »
Answer my own question.  Seems like they don't start in the cold from most posts I have read.  Love a lot of the other features but if the damn thing won't start, then what good is it?

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2013, 11:05 PM »
Any gas motor has startin issues in cold weather. Battery operated batteries can freeze up n not work as well same with propane. Only plus side to them is thebattery can be kept in the vehicle n not take up much room

Offline Walleyeslayer306

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:58 AM »
I actually bought the 4 stroke honda strikemaster in december, took it out the first time and it kept stalling out....took it to honda dealership (alsport) and they put on a new gas cap that helps it vent better, wanted a new auger that had a 10" blade and was strait gas instead of mixing oil with the gas..... seems to be running strong now but I won't be able to take it out till the new years, if I have any problems with it again i'll let you know!
born to fish, forced to work!

Offline BigJumb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:11 AM »
I have a jiffy the older one. And it is to heavy it's the 10". I have done lots of research and everyone in our cold Sask weather is complaining about there auger. I have decided to hold off and wait for a higher memory electric brushless auger even if I have to wait another 5 years. It's not hard to take a battery off and keep it in your truck or shack.

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:48 AM »
I have the last jiffy stealth model with the old steel throttle control and is the same setup as my dads 15 year old model.  Wouldn't trade it for anything.  With that said I advised my brother in law to buy one a year ago....JUNK!  Don't buy a new jiffy.  Same goes with Eskimo. I laugh as my buddy pulls and pulls. Then uses friction to melt through the ice because the blades are toast after 100 holes.  If it's the weight you are concerned about go to flamans and buy a black poly sleigh to load your gear in.  Pulls like nothing and if you hunt like I do nothing is easier to load a deer in and pull out of the bush.  That's my opinion anyways. 

Offline Bobinski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2013, 09:59 AM »
I have the old school jiffy30. Its starts and runs good, but the time it takes to drill a hole is much longer than the new dual blade machines.. I would like a battery opereated but until they come out with a better battery it's best to wait. Last year's model is already outdated and this years green colored ION auger is almost $600!! yikes. I have never seen a propane auger in use but like the idea of no 2-stroke fumes in my jacket all day.

Offline Captainmorgan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I don't believe anything on this forum
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2013, 10:46 AM »
I have a new z51 eskimo, starts no problem. Wouldn't run properly till I put a jiffy vented cap on it. The new eskimo self ventilating caps don't work.

Offline Extreme Sask Angling

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ESA
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2013, 11:45 AM »
I have the honda 4 stroke in the 10 inch, starts in -30 with no problem. Starts better then Anyother auger I have seen. Maybe I got lucky? Haha
The ice angler is a different breed of fisherman. Undeterred by distance, daylight or degrees, these warriors go to extreme measures to chase down the fish attempting to wait out winter below the frozen surface. Through 10-inch holes positioned amidst miles of ice they engage the elusive walleye one-by-one, yeah it's crazy, and some may never understand it.

Offline mxbulldog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:52 PM »
I picked up a Normark from wholesale sports a couple years ago.  It has drilled lots of holes and always starts in 2 pulls from cold. 1 pull after the first start of the day.  Cuts slower than others but not by much and is super light and easy to use.  I have the 10" and it works awesome.  A couple buddies bought the 8" and it drills much quicker than the 10.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:01 PM »
I would buy another jiffy. Any blades that are not drilling more than 100 holes were abused IMO.

Offline Hotwheel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Have two jiffy's...the model 30 with 10" auger and lightning xt with 8". Never any issues with either of them. had the heavy one first and now hardly use it since the lightning seems so much easier to handle. Bought both from Canadian tire at end of season for less than half price...around 250 each. You have to keep checking store. Nothing like the sound of a jiffy 30 across the lake!!!
Good things come to those who bait.....My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2013, 02:00 PM »
My GF bought me the Honda strike lite for Christmas because I broke my back 8 months ago. The auger is awesome started second pull and first pull after that. Cut threw the ice like a champ. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I was very pleased when I opened the box and got the Swedish blades. Highly recommended.

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Well, as "the author" of the thread.  Haha, I bought "LAYNE" off this site's Husqvarna.  I am confident in my purchase.  LOL, if he screws me, you will all know.  Jk, the guy is a great dude and gave me the facts.  The rest is on me barring catastrophic engine failure.

Offline mxbulldog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2014, 12:53 PM »
Congrats on the purchase of the Husky! 

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2014, 01:10 PM »
I run my Z71 with a 100:1 mix of AmsOil Saber and SeaFoam and have no problems getting it started and run fine in all kinds of weather.  I used a friends Jiffy model 30 (Tecumseh) for years without any issues.  Not sure of the new ones that's why I went Eskimo.
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Ty I think I will like the husky.

I wouldn't run a two stroke 100 to 1 even if you think Amsoil is awesome. I wouldn't go past 75-1 tho.  Synthetic is good but not that good. That's the reason it's running so good, it's running lean. Not good

Offline colt25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Ive got nothing but good things to say about my eskimo auger. had it for five years and never let me down. only downside would be a little slower drilling, but then again its only 33cc. my next one will be bigger!

Offline ybone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2014, 09:44 PM »
Bought an Eskimo Z51 a few years ago. Has to be the best thing with a small motor i have ever owned. Starts real easy in even the worst cold. I do cheat a little though. Night before it will go in the garage and I will run it before I go out. Auger don't go, neither do I. I have yet not to go. These earlier  models were built with the Italian chainsaw motors. Brand new auger now. I would research the quality of the motor. As far as drilling holes faster, well for me the value of that would all be a state of mind. Drilling holes in ice isn't an Olympic sport yet.

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:23 AM »
What I have found out while researching reviews to buy an auger for myself. 

I had a next to new jiffy with the 3hp tecumseh and stx blade system.  I sold it and bought a used Husqvarna because I found it was very heavy and it made walking around drilling a ton of holes more of a chore than enjoying it.  I'm not getting any younger either.

1.  Eskimo:  Owners seem very happy for the most part.  Lots of plastic on the units, throttle is cheap plastic, they drill slower but very well.  Best bang for your buck though.  I didn't buy because my auger will be riding on a sleigh into Oskikibuk often and its a rough ride and I know firsthand how well a friends Mako handled a bit of abuse.

2.  Strikemaster:  Mixed reviews, owners seem fairly happy:  A bit pricier than Eskimo, Reviews say Honda Engine starts like crap in the cold.   Not just a few reviews either.  I asked 2 business owners and they both said  they are very stiff to pull over in the cold making the rewind an issue after a while.  Once the engine runs initially in the day, is a two pull machine.  Again, lots of plastic.  4 Stroke Solo engine version can't be laid down on the wrong side or it seeps oil.  Honda engine has this fixed as they have a oil bag around the crankcase.

3.  Jiffy:  Old ones were great and almost indestructable:  finicky motors but they last a long time.  Lots of people have 30+ year old Jiffy's.  New Jiffy's made in china have the general assumption made that they are junk.  One guy from Stoon had gears poking out of that nice plastic gearbox and had a hard time with product support.  I have only seen one that wouldn't start in the cold unless you warmed it up.
Have a personal friend whos works like a charm.  It starts great but he abuses it in my opinion.  Doesn't warm it up for ten seconds and he's drilling at full speed.    IMO, I would never touch Chinese stuff if at all possible even though his works great. (for now).
Similar price as strikemasters

4.  Nilsmaster:  nobody says anything but good things:  Expensive

5.  Ion electric:  Pros:  No starting an engine,  light unit, very portable. 
Cons?  180 dollars for a replacement battery, Cold weather and Lithium batteries don't work well together.  Most reviews are guys drilling holes less than 16 inches and they seem happy.  I would guess they aren't so good in late SK Feb. weather with 2.5 foot thick ice as there is a lot more torque needed once the ice is past 18 inches.  The claim they have to drill a certain amount of holes would certainly go down as ice depth increases. 

6.  Husqvarna- very good reviews in all aspects   nice conical blade system,  cons:  expensive.  I can concur.  I will find out more as I bought a used one.

7.  There is a Rapala, Costco brand, and a couple other's but i'm almost positive they are just rebranded units made by Eskimo.  The units look very Eskimo so it wouldn't surprise me.  Price is very right tho.

In my opinion:   If you treat your auger good by having a proper carry case, use quality premium fuel, synthetic oil, warmup properly, store it well in summer with stabilizer and fogger, you will have minimal problems.  Carbs need fogger because the diaphragms get dry and won't flex if you store them dry.  Jets get gummed up as well as summer temps make gasoline go bad and get sticky.  I know firsthand that this is true from experience.  PS, if you have a very hard to start unit, get it fixed or you will be fixing your rewind very soon due to overusage, its as simple as that. 

This information was gathered by myself and also has some stuff that i've come across.  Hope you find it useful.

Offline zeke99

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:00 AM »
I purchased a new jiffy 4g 10" 4 stroke auger gas version at the beginning of last year and have never looked back starts, cuts fast and runs great. Has drilled hundreds of holes so far they may be a little on the heavy side but have seen other smaller 4 strokes struggle with power to get through the ice. When I go out with my buddies we always use mine in fact my one friend doesn't even bring his anymore. I know Jiffy is getting a bad rep but this one I feel is a winner.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:13 AM »
There were no issues with jiffy support for the gear problem. The problem was jiffy not being informed about it for 3 months. Once they knew about it a new power head was sent out immediately no questions asked.

I do agree no matter what you buy take care of it and it should last you a long time. Call me crazy but my power head always rides in the back seat so there is never an issue with starting.

Offline newby

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take care of nature and she will take care of you!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:06 AM »
I bought a jiffy propane two years ago and have been very happy with it. Start on first pull just about always. This auger will start at -28 with ease. It is a bit heavy but nothing major. It flies through the ice like butter. I get 90 to 120 holes on a tank depending on the thickness.

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:34 AM »
i have a 15 year old jiffy with 3hp tecumseh, had to replace a gear in the case last year after it had drilled at least 500 holes a season, still runs like a top. Other auger is a 3hp jiffy stealth stx II, super fast cutting, only issue in 3 seasons is the gas tank grommet rotted out allowing air into the tank and the gas like broke off in the tank, other than that it outcuts pretty much everything and has been reliable.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:20 PM »
There were no issues with jiffy support for the gear problem. The problem was jiffy not being informed about it for 3 months. Once they knew about it a new power head was sent out immediately no questions asked.

I do agree no matter what you buy take care of it and it should last you a long time. Call me crazy but my power head always rides in the back seat so there is never an issue with starting.

CRAZYYYYYYYYY, ANALLLLL, but your unit is always Minty

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:21 PM »
I bought a jiffy propane two years ago and have been very happy with it. Start on first pull just about always. This auger will start at -28 with ease. It is a bit heavy but nothing major. It flies through the ice like butter. I get 90 to 120 holes on a tank depending on the thickness.

Do a youtube of runaway auger.  Heard of this happening to a few people.  The guy on youtube is a personal friend

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:28 PM »
i have a 15 year old jiffy with 3hp tecumseh, had to replace a gear in the case last year after it had drilled at least 500 holes a season, still runs like a top. Other auger is a 3hp jiffy stealth stx II, super fast cutting, only issue in 3 seasons is the gas tank grommet rotted out allowing air into the tank and the gas like broke off in the tank, other than that it outcuts pretty much everything and has been reliable.

I will say one thing sir.  I too owned this exact auger.  I honestly cannot say I EVER outcut another auger.  Those one bladed serrated tooth cutting flights just aren't half as smooth as the strikemaster or husky blade setup and I can't say I ever won a race with my buddy's eskimo either.  Heavy as hell, and no speed demon either I found.  Wanted to be the best in at least one thing but not with the one I had.  All my auger ever got was snickered at because it was slow and didn't drill good until it was fully hot.  I musta got a "FRIDAY" build.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:14 PM »
I have nothing but good to say about strikemaster. Zero problems with my Lazer Mag and its been used and abused. I plan on adding the 4stroke Honda to my gear once the end of season deals are out, still thinking of getting the strikemaster big volt for drilling in the shack but am going to wait and see how bad the fumes are with the 4 stroke.

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:14 PM »
I have nothing but good to say about strikemaster. Zero problems with my Lazer Mag and its been used and abused. I plan on adding the 4stroke Honda to my gear once the end of season deals are out, still thinking of getting the strikemaster big volt for drilling in the shack but am going to wait and see how bad the fumes are with the 4 stroke.
I drilled in the pop up yesterday and no fumes or smell. I was a little nervous but it worked out great.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #29 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:34 PM »
I drilled in the pop up yesterday and no fumes or smell. I was a little nervous but it worked out great.
That's good to hear if I can get away with just the 4 stroke that would be great. I hate drilling the holes and either getting dizzy from getting smoked out or having to wait ten minutes for the shack to clear up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.