Author Topic: New Ice Auger, PLZ Chime in: Thinking of a Strikemaster Honda  (Read 5479 times)

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New Ice Auger, PLZ Chime in: Thinking of a Strikemaster Honda
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:31 AM »
Taking a piece of puckboard and making a pattern of the holes required to fish in your own particular hut is a great way to never inhale exhaust again be it 2 or 4 stroke.  I've played the exhaust game once or twice and it sux.  This is a great idea though, I think. 

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:22 PM »
Taking a piece of puckboard and making a pattern of the holes required to fish in your own particular hut is a great way to never inhale exhaust again be it 2 or 4 stroke.  I've played the exhaust game once or twice and it sux.  This is a great idea though, I think.
In a permy this wouldn't work but would for a portable. But I just set up the portable and open the doors on each end usually isn't too bad, its redrilling holes in the permy that sucks.

Offline pcdoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:25 PM »
got an ion and its seems to be awsum so far

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:42 PM »
got an ion and its seems to be awsum so far
Curious, hows that battery holding up in these wicked temps?

Offline pcdoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2014, 03:19 PM »
drilled 20 holes yesterday an 15 today before swappin to gas

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Question answered.

One more for ya.  How many do you think its gonna drill in March when the ice is three and a half feet thick?  I am betting a lot of guys looking to buy an ION would love to know some info.  I also know some of them drill 40 holes a day as well.  I compare the situation to getting to the lake with half a tank of auger gas and the jug of extra fuel in the back of your truck is missing.  Limited amounts of holes.  I really hate when that happens.  That ION in theory is the slickest idea in the world I think, but I went gas for fear of not being able to drill enough holes in a day plus having to buy a new 180 dollar battery every two years.

Offline pcdoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:24 PM »
went this morning and drilled 30 holes and then drilled another 35 on second battery charge this afternoon ,,, like the no exhaust smell and no gas on hands to scare fish away ,, it comes with a extension and is still pretty light was laughing as guys were still trying to start there augers and I was in for 30 holes an fishing ,, was b***hen cold today but fish are still biting limited out in walleye by noon an went huntin for perch only found 20 lol

Offline pcdoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:28 PM »
I would buy another jiffy. Any blades that are not drilling more than 100 holes were abused IMO.
or ran into some sand or gravel lol

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:20 PM »
or ran into some sand or gravel lol

I would classify this is abuse/ operator error.

Offline otepitah

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Thinking of a New Ice Auger
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:50 PM »
 ;D
Ok, I just became a member of IceInsanity. I love icefishing but have worked like an idiot trying to buy the moon. Alot of good it has done me. I missed out so many years of icefishing, summer fishing, just fishing and hunting in general.
I am now slowing myself down in life so time to catch up. I bought my pop up ice hut, a hand auger and of course icefishing gear. Hate the hand auger big time. lol I wanted to find out about what kind of power auger to buy and found this board very helpful. I well now start looking for a good deal on an auger so my wife and I can hit the lakes more.

Liking what I find on this iceSanity community. Hopefully we well meet out on the ice somewhere. Happy New Year you all.

signed: Otepitah
Otepitah; a Cree word which means "Crack it Open" (meaning the drink your brought over)

Offline jgmerz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2014, 12:44 PM »
My wife gave me the costco one for Christmas.  Not the one I would have chose, but all the manuals say Rapala and from all the research I've done it is the Eskimo Mako43cc re-branded.  Only had it out once but it was -25 and it started first pull every time.  Definitely alot of plastic.... Throttle concerns be but we'll see.  Cuts well, which is good because I may be using it a few years so I don't offend her! haha.  All things considered I'm very happy with it so far

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:40 PM »
My wife gave me the costco one for Christmas.  Not the one I would have chose, but all the manuals say Rapala and from all the research I've done it is the Eskimo Mako43cc re-branded.  Only had it out once but it was -25 and it started first pull every time.  Definitely alot of plastic.... Throttle concerns be but we'll see.  Cuts well, which is good because I may be using it a few years so I don't offend her! haha.  All things considered I'm very happy with it so far

DOESNT COUNT.  TOO NEW    :) :P

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:15 PM »
i have a buddy that has that auger, rapala version.  puts it away for the summer, outside without doing anything to it and that thing starts way easier than my strikemaster honda.  cuts not bad either for how it gets abused.  seems decent for the price.

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:09 AM »
i have a buddy that has that auger, rapala version.  puts it away for the summer, outside without doing anything to it and that thing starts way easier than my strikemaster honda.  cuts not bad either for how it gets abused.  seems decent for the price.

Don't count on doing that for many more years.  You will have issues if you don't take care of it.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:13 PM »
yup too bad i don't take care of my buddy's auger eh?

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Guys who brag about how them or their buddy's stuff works with crappy care and maintenance makes me laugh because it's all good for the first while. Then when you really need it to work, it fails and the auger doesn't get a chance to perform like it should have with proper care

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.