Author Topic: New to tipups.... best setup procedure?  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Bo

• Team IceShanty Regular
New to tipups.... best setup procedure?
« on: Dec 05, 2005, 01:14 PM »
I tried fishing with tipups for the first time on Saturday.
Generally, it seems pretty straightforward, except I need to figure out the best way to set up the tipups to a known depth.

Unless I have a heavy weight right at the end of my rig, I am thinking that I should be finding the depth of the water by attaching a weight to the end of my rig, dropping it to the bottom, and marking my line as it enters the spool somehow.

Then reeling in, removing the weight and letting out the line again until the marker is at the end of the spooled line again.  Then I know I have my hook at the bottom.  Then, I can reel in a known amount of line (and maybe mark the line again).

Is this what people generally do?  I have heard of them, but not seen any tipup line markers in the stores lately, and I'm not really sure what they are.  I was thinking of just using some yarn or rubber band as a marker (something I could attach while I'm out on the ice fishing without having to slide it onto the line from the end).

Any advice?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New to tipups.... best setup procedure?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2005, 02:04 PM »
Yep, thats what you do. I use HT line markers/mini bobbers. They just clip on the line. They are pretty small, I think 1/2". Here's a pic-->  .

just clip on a weight to your hook, let it hit the bottom of the lake, reel up how far you want the hook off the bottom, then attach the line marker. Hand line the remaining line, remove the weight, attach your bait, then put it back in the hole.

When a fish takes your bait, you'll know exactly how far to reel the line back in so you can keep your bait at the same depth.
Ken                                          

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Bean is right on... also.... if you dont have any markers, just tie a quick overhand loop in your line. be sure to wind youe line on tight, loose line can make a loop and screw things up if a fish hits hard.

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2005, 05:45 PM »
i have alway used buttons for line markers, they slied up and down the line easly, yuo can keep them on you tip-ups and if you need another one ont he ice you can cut one of your shirt

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline IceGeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2005, 05:46 PM »
Make sure to add the distance that your tipup's spool will be underwater...generally about 6 inches, so if you want your bait 8 inches from the bottom, then you will need to wind up 14 inches before marking the line since the spool hangs down in the water. 

hali-man

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2005, 05:49 PM »
A bobber stop (as in slip bobbers) works the best for me.

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2005, 06:39 PM »
A very tiny split shot weight does the trick too.  I have used both the little bobbers and split shot weights.  I find the split shots easier to work with.

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:44 AM »
Make sure to add the distance that your tipup's spool will be underwater...generally about 6 inches, so if you want your bait 8 inches from the bottom, then you will need to wind up 14 inches before marking the line since the spool hangs down in the water. 

Good point Geek!  This is very important...  ::)
I'm also one who uses a button to keep track of the depth.  The thing I like about the button is that it's a piece of cake to return the bait to the same depth when you pull it up to check it.  I tried the loop knot technique, but with cold hands I wound up with all sorts of loops that I couldn't untie until I got back home.

Also one other thing I'd like to mention to help you out is that if there are weeds where you fish, try to get your bait up above the weeds so the bait can't hide in the weeds.  Instead they will struggle trying to get down into the weeds and hopefully draw more strikes.
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:25 AM »
I guess I should qualify my last statement a bit... 
  I didn't mean that you should always fish on the bottom, sometimes fish are suspended so if you have the luxury of being able to fish several traps, try them at different depths until you start catching fish, then adjust the other traps accordingly.
  I usually will set one or two traps with no weight and let the shiner swim right under the ice.  Early season, I'll always set at least one trap in shallow water and have taken browns in less than 3ft.
 I sometimes will take my fishfinder with me when I'm cleaning out the holes, checking bait and drop the transducer down take a scan before pulling the bait.  This is also a pretty good way to look for the weedline rocks and structure.
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.