The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: z51 leaking gas  (Read 3851 times)

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: z51 leaking gas
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2013, 06:00 AM »
I am betting a lot of these problems are due to people priming with the choke ON.  When this is done, there isn't really any gas going into the carb, but rather builds up in the air filter, and eventually leaks out and looks like a leak.

Prime with the choke OFF, and then when you're ready to start ~ put it ON and pull.

Don't believe me?  Take off the air filter and see what happens to the gas when you prime with the choke ON.

i have taken mine off, when choke is on, the whole is open for gas to enter. when set to run, flap covers whole to carb.  wow you are really making me rethink this. ive taken my auger apart a million times and im sure of it. had to replace tank my self and primer bulb.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 24, 2013, 08:03 AM »
I just jumped back on my thread, and haven't read everything yet.  Something interesting came to mind, regarding the build-up of pressure and pushing it thru the carb.

I put the auger in the garage last Saturday evening after fishing.   Late Sunday morning, I left to run errands and there was no evidence of a gas leak.  It was only after I got home in the late afternoon, that the leak started.  Thus, showing some evidence of a build up of pressure over time.

I cracked the vent on Monday, and have left the auger in an upright position since then.  I think later today, I will lay it back on it's side (gas tank up) and see if I can/can't replicate the leak when the gas vent is cracked open.  I've always run non-ethanol gas in my augers, so the integrity of the gas lines and bulb is fine.  I learned a lesson years ago, after running ethanol gas in another auger for several seasons - it completely eroded the gas lines and primer bulb.

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 24, 2013, 08:13 AM »
BTW, when I found the leak last Sunday, it started up normally.  No issues on that end.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 24, 2013, 08:22 AM »
took me a while to find my leak. the tank design was garbage. where the bolts go into the molded nuts into the tank is where it cracked. barely a hairline. but with presure will seep out. new tanks have tabs instead of molded nuts.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.