Author Topic: FLX-28 Reviews  (Read 7892 times)

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
FLX-28 Reviews
« on: Dec 22, 2013, 03:00 PM »
So I've been looking into this, but I can't find anyone that has given a full review after actually using it for a bit. Now that many of us have been on ice for over a month now I figured users should be getting an idea of what they like and what they don't like. The different modes, sensitivity, the proview ducer and how you feel about not having separate controls for the gain and cone angle.

So for you guys that have had it out on the ice a bit could you give some of your pros and cons. Also if you could also any mention of prior units that you've used as well that would be great.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: FLX-28 Reviews
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:00 AM »
LOVE mine so far.  My previous flashers where FL8 & FL20. 

The additional colors are really nice.  Sensitivity is everything the FL20 was, just easier to read on the new display.  I do miss having the range stickers in the middle of the display.  Not needed with the printed water depth, and segmented dots.  On board volt meter is nice, but I still have an external one as well. 

I can't speak to the ProView 'ducer.  I kept the old dual beam from my FL20.  I like it, and didn't want to learn another type.  I have not used the weed mode, but hear it is great. 

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2013, 10:50 AM »
LOVE mine so far.  My previous flashers where FL8 & FL20. 

The additional colors are really nice.  Sensitivity is everything the FL20 was, just easier to read on the new display.  I do miss having the range stickers in the middle of the display.  Not needed with the printed water depth, and segmented dots.  On board volt meter is nice, but I still have an external one as well. 

I can't speak to the ProView 'ducer.  I kept the old dual beam from my FL20.  I like it, and didn't want to learn another type.  I have not used the weed mode, but hear it is great.

Thanks!

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2013, 08:32 AM »
Well, I’m starting to get a little more comfortable with the 28 after having it out several times now.    So far there isn’t 1 bad thing I have to say about it, which when it comes to me reviewing something is really good.  The couple of small things that concerned me at first (no separate battery check mode and no depth markings on ticks ) turned out to really be a non factor during real world use.      Personally, I don’t care for the soft case, so I’ve just been using it naked (the flasher not me :)   )  But I understand that is a personal preference thing, so not really a negative.

One thing I’ve really been impressed with is the ability to separate fish in tightly packed schools and also that the digital depth never gets confused.   I’ve had solid fish from 15 down to 30ft and the depth display has been rock solid.   In comparison when I had the ICE55 in the same scenario it was constantly recalibrating due to confusion.  It didn’t affect the flasher at all and not a big deal at all, just distracting mostly.  I mention it because I totally expected the 28 to do the same thing but it hasn’t yet.  Not even once.

The crazy thing is that I’ve been fishing on 30-35ft of water and I have yet to move my gain up at all.   It always marks my jig  and the display is super sharp and steady, very little flickering going on.

At this point the ONLY thing I can find that bugs me a bit (and I also had the same issue with the ICE55) is that when taking video or pictures of the flasher the LEDs really mess with the camera sensor and its tough to take a quality video of the display.  Not only that, but the camera sees it different than our eyes, so you will get weird feedback and sometimes if you take a picture, the screen will be completely blank, which I think is due to the framerate.  Keep that in mind when watching videos or seeing pictures of the flasher.  It is nowhere near the experience you will see in person….in fact its not even close.

Offline cccc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2013, 09:32 AM »
I don't have a full on review for you since I don't own it. But from the guys I've seen fish it, the colours look fantastic, and you probably can't ever go wrong with top of the line.
I also believe it's the first Vex that's been able to give a Marcum a whole bunch of interference I couldn't get rid of. lol. >:(

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2013, 01:49 PM »
Well, I’m starting to get a little more comfortable with the 28 after having it out several times now.    So far there isn’t 1 bad thing I have to say about it, which when it comes to me reviewing something is really good.  The couple of small things that concerned me at first (no separate battery check mode and no depth markings on ticks ) turned out to really be a non factor during real world use.      Personally, I don’t care for the soft case, so I’ve just been using it naked (the flasher not me :)   )  But I understand that is a personal preference thing, so not really a negative.

One thing I’ve really been impressed with is the ability to separate fish in tightly packed schools and also that the digital depth never gets confused.   I’ve had solid fish from 15 down to 30ft and the depth display has been rock solid.   In comparison when I had the ICE55 in the same scenario it was constantly recalibrating due to confusion.  It didn’t affect the flasher at all and not a big deal at all, just distracting mostly.  I mention it because I totally expected the 28 to do the same thing but it hasn’t yet.  Not even once.

The crazy thing is that I’ve been fishing on 30-35ft of water and I have yet to move my gain up at all.   It always marks my jig  and the display is super sharp and steady, very little flickering going on.

At this point the ONLY thing I can find that bugs me a bit (and I also had the same issue with the ICE55) is that when taking video or pictures of the flasher the LEDs really mess with the camera sensor and its tough to take a quality video of the display.  Not only that, but the camera sees it different than our eyes, so you will get weird feedback and sometimes if you take a picture, the screen will be completely blank, which I think is due to the framerate.  Keep that in mind when watching videos or seeing pictures of the flasher.  It is nowhere near the experience you will see in person….in fact its not even close.

Another great review. The ticks instead of numbers made me wonder if I'd like it or not. Glad that you've found this to be a non factor in your experiences. You also touched on something that I saw previously with my ICE55, when I had it, about have a thick group of fish and if it would get confused about the depth.

So is the depth constantly displayed in the LEDs when you're fishing?

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2013, 06:43 AM »
Yes.  Depth is always displayed as is the range.   Yesterday mine (in Auto) read 19FOW AR 25....

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2013, 07:04 AM »
I saw it in action yesterday and I was impressed.  I have the 20 and I really could not imagine ever upgrading...until I saw how crisp and clear the digital bars were on the 28.  If I ever need to upgrade my 20, I would not hesitate to get the 28.

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2013, 07:57 AM »
Really liking mine now that I had some time to use it a little.  Fished in some brush and used the weed mode and it worked great in being able to see my jig.  Colors are great and auto mode is nice too as long as your in at least 10' of water.  Any less than that and I would use the low power mode.  Over all I'm glad I upgraded from my FL-22HD.

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:45 AM »
Thanks guys. Gander has $75 off their vexilars 599.99 and over so I think I'll be making the change. At least Vex has a red case now. I could almost pretend it's a Marcum if it weren't for the stiching on the side :P lol.

EDIT: Went to Gander and they had a big notice sitting there that the $75 off was a pricing error. After speaking with the Manager they nicely gave me it to me, but was certainly a little frustrating.

Offline waskawood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:54 AM »
Have any of you FLX-28 owners fished along side other Vex's and Marcums? I am interested in how the new IR is working. I want to get my wife a 28 to fish along side my 18 and want it as clean as it can be for her. Thanks for any help.
Waska

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:32 AM »
Have any of you FLX-28 owners fished along side other Vex's and Marcums? I am interested in how the new IR is working. I want to get my wife a 28 to fish along side my 18 and want it as clean as it can be for her. Thanks for any help.

Yes I have no problems.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:31 PM »
I fished next to a LX 7, Showdown, FL20, and an Ice55 so far.  No problems.

Offline Burt Lake Ron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:03 PM »
So that's what you told her, eh?  The 28 would be for her???  Good call.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2014, 10:39 PM »
So how'd she like the 28

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:01 PM »
The only thing I do not like on the 28 is the pro view transducer. IMO the gain adjust to widen the cone angle stinks. I talked with Vexilar about this and they agreed if u fish 20" or less its not the best transducer to have the recommended a 19 transducer. But they said if u fish deep water its great.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:19 PM »
Good info 74.  What is the issue under 20 FOW?  Is it that as you start to crank up your gain to widen the cone, you are getting clutter in shallower water?
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2014, 10:03 PM »
Yes. U know how it is once u turn up your gain it blows up everything. I really like the unit I just wish I could have a option of a dual beam

quote author=holehopper link=topic=268978.msg3076383#msg3076383 date=1415935178]
Good info 74.  What is the issue under 20 FOW?  Is it that as you start to crank up your gain to widen the cone, you are getting clutter in shallower water?
[/quote]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.