Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Places to try  (Read 748 times)

Offline apdenk

• IceShanty Rookie
Places to try
« on: Dec 21, 2013, 02:51 PM »
Alright to any of the Des Moines ice fishers, what are some good small ponds or places to try?  Over the summer I along with many kids from my high school fish the Country Club lake right between Hickman and University in Clive.  People pull some nice sized fish from there, curious to see if anyone has ice fished that body.  Also considering the DMACC ponds, both Ankeny and the WDM one, other then those any small promising ponds suitable for a rookie?

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Places to try
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2013, 08:13 PM »
DMAAC pond in ankeny is a good place to try. I haven't finished it in a couple of years so I can't give any real advice. West Des Moines DMAAC pond ice fishing isn't allowed...

Offline BassyThumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Ankeny DMACC is probably not very great as they dredged it all winter.  I may be wrong on that though as I have seen a few out there.  Haven't tried it myself this year.  The small ponds around the ball fields on the northside of Ankeny have a abundance of panfish, not sure on size though.  Blue Herron Lake in WDSM is supposedly decent, never fished it.  There are some ponds on Army Post rd, east of town that are decent.  Pond inside Ft. Dsm Park is good..  Maffit Reservoir is full of fish that are not to hard to find.. lots of sorting for nice fish though.  Petoka in Bondurant is okay, but hard to locate fish in my opinion..Trout stocking there next week I believe.  That is always fun..   hope that helps some.

A bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work!

"Everyone ought to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing"

Offline apdenk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:35 PM »
Ankeny DMACC is probably not very great as they dredged it all winter.  I may be wrong on that though as I have seen a few out there.  Haven't tried it myself this year.  The small ponds around the ball fields on the northside of Ankeny have a abundance of panfish, not sure on size though.  Blue Herron Lake in WDSM is supposedly decent, never fished it.  There are some ponds on Army Post rd, east of town that are decent.  Pond inside Ft. Dsm Park is good..  Maffit Reservoir is full of fish that are not to hard to find.. lots of sorting for nice fish though.  Petoka in Bondurant is okay, but hard to locate fish in my opinion..Trout stocking there next week I believe.  That is always fun..   hope that helps some.

Where is your go to? Im sure you are  doing more larger scale ice fishing too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.