Author Topic: How will the temps affect the ice?  (Read 1076 times)

Offline atarnacki

• Team IceShanty Regular
How will the temps affect the ice?
« on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:16 PM »
How do you think the warm weather will do on the ice this weekend? My guess is all the snow will melt on top and the water on top will freeze over a few days later making it better ice. That is my experience from the past.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How will the temps affect the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:25 PM »
A lot of different opinions on this subject, both on what will happen and what folks want to happen. I'm in the keep what ya got camp, and add to it as you go. Icemaking weather is iffy around here. Hoping most makes it through since what I've drilled this year was mostly black anyway. A lot will depend on how much rain we get, rain matters more than air temp and the ice inhibiting effects of heavy rain last days or weeks.

Offline gadabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:29 PM »
A lot of different opinions on this subject, both on what will happen and what folks want to happen. I'm in the keep what ya got camp, and add to it as you go. Icemaking weather is iffy around here. Hoping most makes it through since what I've drilled this year was mostly black anyway. A lot will depend on how much rain we get, rain matters more than air temp and the ice inhibiting effects of heavy rain last days or weeks.
Well said. I hope( not think) it melts the snow, which it should, balconies slop on top, and refreezes. We all like solid black ice but you take what you can get. I will be out again Friday watching my tip ups float around.
Gadabout

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:12 PM »
im in the slop it up camp, keep that layer of black we got and slop the top then refreeze would work wonders for some of my favorite spots that had 2.5-3 pre snow last week and now look like a half slush half fluff mess
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:47 PM »
I'm in the wait and see camp, there is fishable ice now, there will he tomorrow, and saturday.  As it usually is here in CT you may need to drive.  Forecast is still mentioning showers with heavier rain to the west in the 'daks.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=ALY&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:24 PM »
All you can do is hope for the best and see what happens.   

Offline hippiemick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2013, 11:08 PM »
Either way it goes , were gonna be all good . Have to get rid of that snow , it's a killer . All the water state wide is prime for a flash refreeze with the 1st cold snap with light wind . Hey it's not even Christmas we got plenty of ice time ahead . Good black base we'll be fishing into April again like last year .

Offline mattyballgame

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:03 AM »
My old man has this theory that once the ice locks up on Pocotopaug and then breaks up, it'll never freeze solid again.  He's been right in the past, hope he's wrong this year!

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:15 AM »
Its gonna be close to 60 degress on sunday with rain showers...all ice is gonna be shot...if u dont have to start from scratch its gonna take a while for the edges to refreeze.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2013, 05:37 AM »
Its gonna be close to 60 degress on sunday with rain showers...all ice is gonna be shot...if u dont have to start from scratch its gonna take a while for the edges to refreeze.

I wouldn't bet money on that  ;)

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2013, 06:41 AM »
snow is an insulator, it works both ways, stays at 32 degrees, keeps things from freezing and thawing,best thing that could happen ,heavy rain one day then temps drop, you will not lose all the ice we have ,water temps are cold.Ice would have never formed if it was not.We here in Ct. will not icefish before the new yr.You need some good ice to walk on.I for one do not like to worry about wether or not I.m going swimming in cold water. We had a very cold spell in DEC. some of you got on the ice,its not often we get to fish in this state until Jan. I say we are ahead of the game this yr. Be safe and take it slow :tipup:

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:00 AM »
Its not looking good for us. it really is crazy the weather and how it is so different across the nation right now. We are in the midst of a warm spell that has melted 5 inchs of snow in less than 2 days. Now we are facing flood warnings with the potential of 3-4 inchs of rain in the next 48 hours. This may not totally destroy the ice we have, but it defiantly will kill the edge and float what is left. the places around mid state, some have 4-5 inchs. several of us think it will make it through this, but the places that have 3 or less. It will be start over time. As was said before we have gotten on the ice early this year and this thaw to start over is getting to be the norm for us around the Midwest. I guess I will have to keep drivin NOOOORTH to get some solid ice.
                                                                                     Phantom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.