Author Topic: Bittern lake  (Read 5533 times)

Offline Hammer489

• IceShanty Rookie
Bittern lake
« on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:51 PM »
What the ice thickness at bittern lake  are people driving on it  :tipup:

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bittern lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2013, 09:58 PM »
Fishing saskatchewan RUMOR I read it may be blocked off again. Anyone have any input?

Offline robson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:02 PM »
ya wondering myself? anyone? how's montreal lake for ice thickness?

Offline Hammer489

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:08 PM »
So u think people are driving on it

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:16 PM »
I am also wondering if people are driving on. I read on another forum the road to lake is barricaded with snow to prevent people from driving on. I have no evidence to support it though just something I read.

Offline Hammer489

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:24 PM »
Ooo thanks for the info

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:31 PM »
It's not info so be careful with it

Offline fishon77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2013, 06:19 PM »
First time posting on this site,I have found some usefull info here,was on bittern dec 15,can't drive on snow piled 3-4 feet at the entrance to the lake,took the sleds on 16-18 inches of ice,slow fishing but I was also slow from to many drinks at a Christmas party the night before!

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Thanks for clearing it up. Now what needed to happen last year to get the snow moved?

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Good to know, thought the road was blocked again.  Always leery of leaving my vehicle there but what can you do.  Has anyone had problems there before with the locals breaking into vehicles left at the launch.  I wanted to head out but thought the road was blocked.

Offline fishon77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:29 PM »
We have always left are trucks up there,while out on he sleds,never had a problem,just wave and be polite everything will work out.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2013, 10:55 AM »
chief was to remove the barricade dec 25, but I haven't heard if that is the case

Offline holtlakelodge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2013, 05:29 PM »
You can now access Bittern.

Offline wally wacker49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2013, 12:53 PM »
the question still is though with the amount of snow up there are we able to get trucks on the ice

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2013, 01:02 PM »
I am also curious to know about that, any information would be appreciated

Offline BIGEYEGETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2013, 03:46 PM »
PS, I thought Montreal was basically fished out of walleye.  Is it worth the drive?

Offline fishon77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2013, 07:24 PM »
Drove on Dec 27,maybe just over a foot of snow in most places.

Offline jwall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Just wondering if Bitterness is access able by truck? And any report on ice thickness or fishing reports.? Want to head up today.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2013, 09:21 PM »
We fished it yest can get on w any 4wd
Good luxk

Offline holtlakelodge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2013, 10:12 AM »
Yes 4WD can go pretty much anywhere. Plenty of ice as well.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:32 PM »
Any one been last couple days? Still drive around with 4x4? How's the bite thinking of making a trip Saturday? 

Offline dsab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:58 PM »
three guys I know caught 7 walleye and 6 pike in 4 hours. they said it took the 2hrs to find a hot shot then they caught all 13 in the last 2 hours.  they had no issues driving on. I'm gonna go with them next sunday.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:28 PM »
Does anyone who has been out think a 2WD truck or a Chev Equinox with the 4WD that cant be forced on could make it around on the ice?  We had my dads equinox on at St Brieux before christmas and it got around pretty decently by following the hard packed snow road.   I need to a get a truck of my own!  I just acquired  my own personal gear this year (shack, auger, heater, sled) and i got no way of hauling it all around!  Looking for a quad cab 4WD truck.

Alternatively my one buddy with the 2WD truck has a skidoo which we used last time at bittern but its still not ideal to shuttle people out on multiple trips.  Arg... I need a skidoo too! haha

Have a good one guys

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:47 PM »
Don't think your vehicle would make it, I wouldn't risk it getting stuck up there, not much help around and to risky leaving a vehicle overnight up there.  I have never had a problem at Bittern but not many people around.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:58 PM »
We got my buddys truck stuck there late last season and had to use CAA to get us out.  Luckily the nearest tow centre was actually montreal lake towing.  FYI its up to the tow truck drivers discretion regarding if they want to come on the ice to help get you out, otherwise they can winch you out from i think its either 100 ft or yards off shore.  We were past that and luckily the guys were super nice and helped push us out even though it was really hard and took multiple times as we would repeatedly get stuck on our way back in.  It was stupid of us to drive on with the snow like that last year (i had advised we should not) but we tried to follow the hard packed road but lost it.   however my friend always gets himself into situations like that and i should have really made it clear that it was a bad idea so i am probably just as much at fault haha.

While we waited for the tow truck we managed to catch 6 pike in the reeds next to where our truck got stuck though!  Thanks for the heads up on the conditions beachcomber.  Will have to wait until my buddy with the sled can go up with me.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Never fails, make plans to go fishing and it snows which means I work. With the frigid temps it may have been a good thing, would hate to have problems in these conditions. Like dsab said be mobile if you aren't on the fish you will find them.

Offline dsab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Any recent updates on Bittern? Access, what is working for lures/baits, etc.?

Think we are going out there tomorrow morning.

Offline wally wacker49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2014, 08:55 PM »
 I have found that one of the best lures on bittern, and this is just what I have found over the past 10 or so years is a orange and black potato bug number 8 len Thompson. The size was definitely a factor any bigger and we caught less. tip with a minnow head or eye ball good luck

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2014, 08:33 PM »
fished it sat

lots of trucks out, prob 40 by 1200

walleye were slow, caught about 7 and 20 pike btw 2 of us in the am....  get away from the crowds and you'll do fine.

first 1/4 m bit tough going but after that easy.  just pack a grain shovel in case you get into the drifts

Offline wally wacker49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2014, 04:23 PM »
noticed not much activity on the bittern posts any one been up lately and our they driving on still, heading up to weyakwin on the 15th might stop on the way by

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.