Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Floating Ice Suit  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Tomo

• IceShanty Rookie
Floating Ice Suit
« on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:16 AM »
Ive been doing some serious thinking about the accident at lake ponderosa last weekend.  Been doing some research but not much luck.  A life is worth way more than $500.00, why not purchase a floating Ice suit.  The only floating suit I have found is the Arctic Armour suit.  Does anyone know of any other floating suit on the market?  Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Otter XT 1200 Lodge, Clam 6800, Clam JR, Strikemaster Auger, Marcum LX5, Honda Rincon.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
Re: Floating Ice Suit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:27 AM »
Striker Ice

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline phisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Yep, Striker Ice or Arctic Armor, both under $500 for top and bottom.  You really can't put a price on life or the added assurance.

Here's a clip of the Striker Ice:

I have the Arctic Armor, pretty happy with it, going on 3rd season.  I hope I never need to "use" it...

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:40 AM »
Striker for me also, wife also wears it...

Offline Tomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:43 AM »
Phisherman, does the Arctic Armour keep you warm?  I have a Vexilar suit.  It keeps me good and warm, but I know it is not a floatable suit.
Otter XT 1200 Lodge, Clam 6800, Clam JR, Strikemaster Auger, Marcum LX5, Honda Rincon.

Offline thorn168

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:46 AM »
I found this clip, www.youtube.com/embed/YH8WwtAGsQw

which I think gives a much better demonstration of how a Striker Ice suit will function in real world conditions.

Offline phisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Yes, plenty warm, with sweat pants and a hoodie underneath.  I actually sweat in it if I'm hauling my sled a long distance, I just vent it a little more with the zipper if I'm working hard.  Looks like ebay has the AA suit for around $170/ea for top or bottom.  Either suit would be a must have on my list.

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2013, 11:01 AM »
I have the artic armour.........VERY warm, and free gloves are also VERY warm.  Tshirt and sweatpants under and I actually am too warm.  Just right when its super cold out.

heres a video I found

here's where I bought it from. 

http://www.profishingsupply.com/arcticarmor/

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2013, 11:26 AM »
There are four companies that make float suits now, Arctic Armor, Clam, Striker, and Mustang. I had an AA suit and wasn't very pleased with the quality of workmanship. Pockets are too tight for someone with thicker hands. You sweat like crazy if you are an ice troller, and once you sweat you get cold. Supposed to be waterproof got soaked to the bone in a rain storm. I personally would search the other companies out.

Offline JMJ IA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2013, 12:20 PM »
I have a Striker Ice.  VERY warm, packed with great features and great quality.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.  ~Author Unknown

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2013, 12:38 PM »
Arctic armor works great. Never had any problems getting cold or wet for that matter. Its lightweight and flexible so nice for moving around. They have some foam in the knees and the butt. Didn't know what to think about it at first but now I dont even notice it. Definitely nice to be able to be on ur knees in wetness, and even lean on ur wet boots while kneeling, without being soaked for the rest of the day.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2013, 01:49 PM »
Striker also, not coast guard approved, you might freeze to death if you fall in but you wont drown, supposed to "float" a person for a hour or so, if you aint out by then you have problems!!

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2013, 02:49 PM »
I have Arctic Armor Plus and I've been very pleased with my suit.

Stearns makes a float coat that's Coast Guard approved and is about the same price as the ice fishing suits.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2013, 03:05 PM »
I love my striker lite. I have yet to be cold in it

Offline Tomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Thank you for the response guys.  The Arctic Armour doesn't have the greatest reviews.  I wish the striker was closer in price to the Arctic Armour.  I don't know after purchasing a XP1200 and new Sorels this season if I would be able to hide the extra cash from the wifey poo!  I will see what I can do.  One way or another I will have a floatie ;D.

Offline mcpatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2013, 03:32 PM »
Just want to put my two cents in for Artic Armour Plus.  I have had my suit for four seasons and it has absolutely been the best money I' ve spent for ice fishing.  Warm, water proof, and light weight.  The padded knees are awesome!  I can fish on my knees all day long and never get wet. 
I wanna go fishin...(whiney voice)

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2013, 03:51 PM »
Thank you for the response guys.  The Arctic Armour doesn't have the greatest reviews.  I wish the striker was closer in price to the Arctic Armour.  I don't know after purchasing a XP1200 and new Sorels this season if I would be able to hide the extra cash from the wifey poo!  I will see what I can do.  One way or another I will have a floatie ;D.

My first year of ice fishing, I wore a life jacket under my coat until I got to an area I wanted to set up. Once I felt comfortable with the location and the ice conditions - I took off the life jacket and put it in the sled. If I moved to a new spot I put the jacket back on and away I went. It helped keep me warm too.

Offline ramdriver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the ice.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2013, 04:17 PM »
Arctic  armor  suit here got new this year peace  of mind knowing you have half a chance of making it out alive.but common sense  also goes a long way.pro fishing supply 335.00 free gloves and shipping in less than a week.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2013, 04:40 PM »
 artic armour.. :mine is 5 yrs old.. no complaints  :tipup:

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:20 PM »
I have an AA jacket and it does give me a piece of mind although I do not find it very warm on windy days, feels like the wind goes right through it no matter what I have on underneath. I just purchased a set of striker bibs and am very happy with them, will try to talk the wife into letting get the matching jacket. I have the hard water version but to the OP they do the predator series which run about 175 per top and bottom.

Offline jkujawa81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2013, 07:09 PM »
Striker ice hands down.... hanks live bait and tackle has video of me falling into his tank w mine on and check out how well I was floating also will see again... we are teaming up w kwwl and a safety team cutting open the lake and jumping in on friday to demonstrate how well they work... no life has a price tag and honestly I won't go on any ice without my suit on

Offline Danmoeller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2013, 07:18 PM »
Is the striker ice suit really bulky with the flotation stuff? Just curious also what modle do you have I am looking at the hardwater model and was wondering how warm it is

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2013, 07:40 PM »
I have the Striker Lite jacket and love it, a little bulky at first but after you wear it once you wont notice...

Offline fallfrenzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2013, 09:22 PM »
I bought a Striker suit a couple weeks ago and am happy with it.  Nice and warm. The fact that it floats gives good piece of mind. I plan on keeping a length of rope in my pocket and picks on me at all times now. We can't go back and change last Saturday but hopefully we can learn from it and prevent future accidents. Gonna miss that guy.

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:28 AM »
Tomo I have a Striker suit and love it. Got mine 2 summers ago at Korkys Outpost online for under 200 bibs and jacket. They sell their last years models quite cheap not sure if there are any left but they had 2 and 3xl jackets and bibs for 79.00 each last week (in sept they had all sizes at that price) so if you don't get a suit this season watch their site for season ending deals.

Offline phisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:50 AM »
Tomo I have a Striker suit and love it. Got mine 2 summers ago at Korkys Outpost online for under 200 bibs and jacket. They sell their last years models quite cheap not sure if there are any left but they had 2 and 3xl jackets and bibs for 79.00 each last week (in sept they had all sizes at that price) so if you don't get a suit this season watch their site for season ending deals.

Wow, great find!  They have a couple floating suits I've never heard of; American Hardware Guardian and Lake Effects.  Great prices too.  Thanks!  I will save that site in my favorites.  I need to talk my brother into getting a floating ice suit, lots of great new options out there.  Anyone else have first hand reviews with these other models?

Fallfrenzy, I'm very sorry for your loss, that's a sad deal.  I can't imagine losing any friends or family members through the ice, but you're right, we can all learn to be safer going forward.  I watched my friend fall through several years ago on late ice, in a rock quarry, a couple feet from me.  He made it out ok but it made me anal about being safe on the ice since then, it was a real eye opener and a very somber ride home.

Offline jkujawa81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:01 PM »
Those suits belong to striker brand float suits check them out on thier web site

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:05 PM »
I got my Striker Lite Jacket and American Hardwear bibs a few months ago for a great price.

So far, I love them, very good quality construction, super warm, and very comfortable. I think for the price they can't be beat, unless shopping for an actual PFD survival suit like mustang, which is a very different kind of garment for a different purpose (less comfortable for ice fishing!)

The American Hardwear bibs according to Striker is the exact same thing as the Striker Lite (which they dont make anymore), but with a little less insulation, but the same amount of flotation material.

They seemed pretty darn warm to me regardless in -25 C last weekend.

Offline Lflemley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2013, 06:12 PM »
I got the Stryker Climate Bibs and Jacket this year. Very comfortable and warm.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2013, 06:24 PM »
How are these suits in warmer weather? I'm thinking that if they're warm in the dead of winter, come late ice when things start to get sketchy it might be too warm to be dragging my gear while I'm wearing it. Any personal experiences with warmer days wearing them?

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.