Author Topic: Lowrance Elite 5 HDI for Ice  (Read 19361 times)

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lowrance Elite 5 HDI for Ice
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2015, 07:40 PM »
I believe Lowrance has good intentions and with any luck has really added the adapter to the ice pack kit.  It may just be a matter of, that info has not made it to their web site yet.

Offline merekdurray

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 12, 2015, 09:00 PM »
I usually run an FL8SE but have an Elite 5 HDI for the boat and am considering setting it up for the ice this year.  How's it been working out for you guys the last couple years?  Do you prefer it over a traditional flasher?  Any recommendations as far as settings go?  I typically fish in less than 30 FOW.

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 16, 2015, 08:11 AM »
I usually run an FL8SE but have an Elite 5 HDI for the boat and am considering setting it up for the ice this year.  How's it been working out for you guys the last couple years?  Do you prefer it over a traditional flasher?  Any recommendations as far as settings go?  I typically fish in less than 30 FOW.

The elite 5 is flawless on the ice I switched from a fl-8 and never used flasher mode again once i discovered the scope and graph mode! 1 thing about the elite 5 is u may have to play with settings a bit to fine tune!
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 18, 2015, 02:33 PM »
Yup, you use the sonar screen and turn on the amplitude scope on the right side of the screen and you have got one sweet package.  I fish normally in 30 ft or less and I can see the fish, my jigs/baits and usually other fishing buddies jigs/baits if they are close.  And you use it for a little while and you can tell by the arches what you have swimming around down there without a camera and you can see them rooting around on the bottom and it is so much fun to watch them being drawn up from the bottom on both the sonar screen and amplitude scope together by your baits.  What's even neater is when you suspend a dead stick and one come ripping up from the bottom to tag it.  And when that northern pike comes across at 15 feet and you bring the bait up to it and wham "fish on".  The other things I like are the scrolling sonar screen lets me ponder the whole water column over time, and the strength color signal as a fish moves into the sonar cone, you cannot tell which direction they are coming from but you can watch them pass from one side of the cone to the other just by the color signature on the screen.  So much fun.

Offline rayc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 18, 2015, 06:55 PM »
Used the elite 5 chirp all last season, all i can say is that it is great. I also use it for the gps while sledding new areas, it also works great.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:00 AM »
People are so used to hearing about and seeing flashers in ads that they miss out on a way sweeter display that lowrance offers. Hard to beat that detail.
Fishin red lines

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 19, 2015, 01:48 PM »
People are so used to hearing about and seeing flashers in ads that they miss out on a way sweeter display that lowrance offers. Hard to beat that detail.

rayc, did you get it as a CHIRP Ice unit.  Follow on question is did you use an ice transducer with the CHIRP unit or did you use the transducer that comes with a non-ice CHIRP unit.  I am trying to figure out if I want to go 5 CHIRP Ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.