Author Topic: tip-up rigging  (Read 2214 times)

Offline trapsht

• IceShanty Rookie
tip-up rigging
« on: Nov 29, 2005, 10:40 PM »
I haven't used tip-ups a whole heck of a lot.  I typically spool braided line to a short steel leader and a treble hook.  What do you  guys do??  I keep hearing about a "quick strike rig"..any thoughts.

Offline Duckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: tip-up rigging
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2005, 11:14 PM »
Well I'm pretty much a "noob" when it comes to  :tipup: but I've been doing it for a couple years with marginal success.  I still dont' know where the best spots are or what the best rig is, but what I have tried so far I have come to a couple conclusions with:

1) I don't like treble hooks.  For some reason, and maybe it was just me, but I think the northerns can tell there's a hook or somthing.  I was fishing with my cousins and had four tipups set up.  Two had trebles and two just had big ol' hooks.  All were affixed with lively suckers.  I caught several small northern on the tipups with just hooks but none on the ones with treble hooks.

2)  I too use braided line to a steel leader, but have heard that floro-carbon (sp?) works even better.  Never tried it though.

3) Still am not totally skilled at setting the hook.  I've been told a dozen different ways on when and how to do it, but still manage to screw up.  OH well...practice makes perfect.

4)  There has to be a better way to reel up those dang spools when you're done for the day and its -30...I think I got some mean frostbite last year...

In any case, that's what I know so far.  I'm sure some of the veterans here can fill you in a lot better than I can.

-Tyler
God, it's good to be in the frozen tundra!

Offline Icefish4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 11:59 PM »
Hi trapsht, and welcome,

I saw some very good posts involving tip-up rigging and quick-strike rigs on the Iceshanty's "Tipups" board. The main page has a link to it; it is also in the scroll down menu at the bottom of each page. I've found many of the posts helpful. Good luck with the tip-ups.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2005, 05:29 AM »
heres a good thread about them in the pike section
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=25525.0

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:04 AM »
I use the nylon coated line on the spool.

I just made some quick strike rigs.

I made mine like the article in a recent In-Fisherman magazine. First I cut an 18" length of 18# test 7 strand, I added a swivel. I threaded a cleavis and spinner on followed by a small bead. I then threaded on a length of heat shrink tubing followed by a #6 VMC red treble hook. I then heated the tubing to make the treble adjustable. I then fastened the other #6 VMC red treble hook to finish it off.

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2005, 12:41 PM »
I dont use a wire leader .. i like fluorocarbon.  Definately a plus .. fish cant see it (well thats what they say anyway). 

Try the fluorocarbon leader ..... its worth it  :tipup:

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2005, 05:23 PM »
From the spool down: Braided dacron line, a small swivel to attach a 6ft Maxima ultragreen leader, a single wide gap hook (red) tied on with a snell knot.  2 or 3 small splitshot about 1ft up from the bait, but adjust the number to the size of the shiners I happen to be using... Just enough to get them down, so they keep their action.
I hook and ice a lot of fish with that rig, but I'm always looking to improve my game. (more strikes would be nice) javascript:void(0);
Grin
I read a post last year on here about using a small spoon with a clevis just above the hook to give it some extra flash to the bait.  Anybodody try that, and does it work?
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:41 PM »

4)  There has to be a better way to reel up those dang spools when you're done for the day and its -30...I think I got some mean frostbite last year...

-Tyler

there is!

you can buy it from the peterson outdoors website

there is no picture on the site, but i believe they attach to any tip up like this...

Its a bended piece of wire that slips over the top of the tip up and gives you  a big handle that can be operated with gloves on. It turns the spool by the trip pin from the top.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2005, 07:48 AM »
Here is a link to the speed winder:
http://www...com/SpeedWinder.htm

If you go here http://www...com/IceFishingTipUp.htm and play the video you will see the line winder about 3/4 of the way through.

Edited: Sorry, the links do not work. Just google peterson outdoors. The video is on the tip-up page.

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2005, 03:21 PM »
I dont use a wire leader .. i like fluorocarbon.  Definately a plus .. fish cant see it (well thats what they say anyway). 

Try the fluorocarbon leader ..... its worth it  :tipup:
have you used the yo-zurie 20 pound test fluro? i picked up a spool for last night for leaderss. it cost 7 bucks but it looks like its worth it.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.