Author Topic: Bowfin through the ice  (Read 6052 times)

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Bowfin through the ice
« on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:20 PM »
Has anyone ever caught one of these fish before, they look really cool, kinda like an eelpout, what about through the ice?

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
Re: Bowfin through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:43 PM »
I think i read that they were illegal to target in MA but im not sure if it was bowfin. I will have to look into it.

Offline worm_waster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:44 PM »
I've caught them in NWPA in open water in decent numbers, but never through the ice.  From what I understand, they do not taste like an eelpout.w_w.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:47 PM »

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:52 PM »
I think i read that they were illegal to target in MA but im not sure if it was bowfin. I will have to look into it.
I doubt that they are illegal, but they are considered junk fish :'( I personal think they are a really cool looking fish, and have heard they fight like carp or catfish.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:05 PM »
They do indeed look like eelpout, although I've never had an eelpout - I do know that bowfin (dogfish) are supposed to taste like crap!  Bowfin put up a HUUUUGEE fight.  This summer I tied into a couple at Rush lake fishing for crappie (light action tackle) and it took me almost 6-7 mins just to get it to the surface to see what it was.  It made a TON of good runs.. LOTS of fun to catch - but extremely toothy and stinky!  I usually tie into a couple each year on the openwater... never have caught one through the ice.

-WF.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:19 PM »
I went fishing with Pikie, and he was showing me some pictures of Bowfin he got through the ice.  I've thought about going down to the Batten Kill and fishing for them. Maybe this year while on break.

-Zach

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2005, 10:05 PM »
I doubt that they are illegal, but they are considered junk fish :'( I personal think they are a really cool looking fish, and have heard they fight like carp or catfish.

I wasnt sure if they are or not i remembered reading something to that extend but cant find where i read it :-\

Offline Duckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2005, 11:23 PM »
I shoot bowfin all the time during the summer, but I've never caught one when Icefishing.  Those dirty buggers go after my bass spinners all the time.  Good fight but ugly as hell.  You ever hear 'em croak when they're out of water for awhile?  Scared the crap out of me the first time I shot one and had it in my barrel.  Couple minutes later I thought I could hear a dog barkin just to find out it was the fish...crazy  :P
God, it's good to be in the frozen tundra!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2005, 04:58 AM »
I catch them all the time on a slough off the Menominee river. Garbage fish, wouldnt even try eating them. They fight like hell though.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:20 AM »
Yup...Great fighting fish, but not good for eating. BTW....There is no such thing as a "junk fish". They all have a place in the system.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:14 AM »
BTW....There is no such thing as a "junk fish". They all have a place in the system.

Very well put Bob, I really hate to hear people refer to certain fish and "junk fish".  From a sporting aspect, a perch would be a junk fish, while carp, gar, and bowfin would be up there with smallies, steelhead and salmon...But like Bob said, every fish has it's place in the system.

-Zach

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:21 AM »
Yeah ChenBassHead, I did catch a bunch of them one day.....never caught one through the ice before or after that day.  They gave a great fight, and didn't mess around at all with the minnow.  Another thing I remember was what they did to the minnows, instead of slicing them up like a pike, they absolutely crushed the minnows.

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:23 AM »
here is another picture we call them dogfish, never caught them through the ice but catch them all the time in the summer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/craigweiss/fishing2003006.jpg

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:26 AM »
i havent posted a pic in a while so i'll try again.

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:29 AM »
here is a biiger pic. sorry for the confusion.

Offline bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:46 AM »
I have caught several bowfin in backwater off of the Mississippi River. They fight very good but I have never heard of anyone around here eating them. bear

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2005, 11:09 AM »
In my neck of the woods it's not uncommon to catch dogfish through the ice. I've seen people battle them for 20 min on 1# test thinking the had someting nice on then up through the hole come one of these ugly suckers. I have a buddy that set out tip-ups one night with the omni lights on them he had a ton of hits and caught about a dozen dogfish. NOT what he was after, but a lot of fun!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2005, 01:19 PM »
I don't have them in my area but they look like they would be fun to catch, where are they found in Canada? ???

WW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2005, 03:33 PM »
I don't think these fish are "junk" or "ugly" at all, i think they are cool looking. Did you know that they can actually live 24 hours out of the water, and they come to the surfice every couple of minutes to breath in air! :o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2005, 03:35 PM »
I don't have them in my area but they look like they would be fun to catch, where are they found in Canada? ???

WW

They are found all over southern canada, if you want to learn more about bowfin check this site out. http://www.bowfinanglers.com/

Offline cc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • For sale used lady driven CF-18, contact AETE
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:01 PM »

WW

I have caught them by accident in the Quinte Bay, Trenton area. If memory serves correct  they tend to stay in the real thick weedy water.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:08 PM »
I have caught a few of those on accident on Champlain. No pics as I could not wait to get rid of them when I caught them (they can make a real mess of the boat deck quick if you can get hold of them). One of them had to push 10 pounds (caught pitching a jig+pig in the shallows of a weedy sandy bay). They are ugly but I'll give them this, they fight like bulls! So doesn't a sheepshead up there fouled hooked on a favorite lure that you don't want to loose (that was even more of a trip).

Bob D, if you targeted those through the ice what depths would you be searching as well as structure? are they active in the winter?

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2005, 07:43 PM »
Only fish I've ever have break a high quality thick gauge Gamakatsu hook.....freaking scary.

Best fighting fish I've encountered, over Salmon, Pike, and Carp. I would like to target them through the ice...

Zach, I may be game for a trip to the Batten Kill sometime next summer....these fish are worth the trek...

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2005, 11:06 AM »
I have caught a lot of dogfish right after ice out on dead minnows if you want to target them you might try that.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2005, 01:11 PM »
I've caught numerous Bow's in upstate ny, Sandy pond region, and they are pound for pound the best fighting fish! We would get them on live bait fishing for northerns in the summer at dusk. Great fish but really ugly >:(

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2005, 02:57 PM »
Down in Florida, they are called mudfish. They are fun to catch, just make sure you don't mistake it for a burbot and eat it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.