Author Topic: Ice Shanty Dictionary 2005/2006  (Read 3647 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Ice Shanty Dictionary 2005/2006
« on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:21 PM »
Because there are so many people from so many different areas sharing this  website, there are times when i have a hard time understanding some of the lingo.  So I thought we could use are area to post some of the unusual words and there definitions... here are a few that threw me

SPIKE.....          def: still not 100% sure but It's some form of waxworm or maggot

TIGHTLINING....def: dropping a baited hook down to the appropriate depth and holding steady..watch the  water dimple around the line for movement.

CHUMMING..def: Throwinf excess bait/catfood/scent into the water to attract fish (illegal in many areas)

There is also a hundred or more terms for each kind of fish...most I cant remember or confuse them...

(I thought I saw this previously but I could not find it in the search features)

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Shanty Dictionary 2005/2006
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:25 PM »
SPIKE.....          def: still not 100% sure but It's some form of waxworm or maggot

its like a small waxie with a little tail on it, and last year there was a thread similar to this but it was for real icefishing terminology but with a totally screwy different meaning :tipup:

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:30 PM »
Around here, a spike is a maggot. The larva from the common housefly.
The thing with the little tail is a mousie, another type of larva.......... ???

Great idea.

A walleyed pike???
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

hali-man

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:34 PM »
Around here, a spike is a maggot. The larva from the common housefly.
The thing with the little tail is a mousie, another type of larva...

Confusion already.  ;D
Byron's right on this one, J. I've had spikes hatch into flies...

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:43 PM »
lol, i was just coming back here to fix that, i realized what i wrote after i found a dryed up one in my old icefishing box :D

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:55 PM »
Here is another one from a recent post....greenies...this term was used to describe walleys?...I have heard them called many things but never that

I alwys associate greenies or greenbacks with bass. but like I said different areas

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:59 PM »
SPIKE also known as a maggot or fly larvae, are the egg of a common house fly!

MOUSIEAnother popular grub, that looks like a large maggot with a tail is commonly referred to as a "mousie". This grub in its native range usually grows in waters that have low oxygen levels. For this reason, the mousie has a long "breathing apparatus" that to most people looks like a whippy tail. Many die-hard perch fishermen will swear that mousies are the best grubs to use.
best picture i could find quick!

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2005, 03:05 PM »
Hmmm, i always thought a " greenie" was a green sunfish , a member of the gill family.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2005, 04:55 PM »
Nice post Oak :thumbsup:

Tightlining:  There are many versions of this, but basically in simple terms it's a technique that people use and watch their lines as if it's a bobber, with plenty of weight to keep the line tight.  If the line moves, it's a bite, set the hook.  Recently this technique has been refined and is a very popular panfish rig, particularly for deep water gills.  In a nutshell, you use high visibility line, a low visibility leader (fluorocarbon) and a tandem rig where the bottom lure is a heavier lure (many recommend a quick change device so that you can experiment with different attractor lures, like a No-knot Fas Snap), like a Fat Boy, Genz Worm, or spoon, and the upper lure, rigged on a very short dropper (like about an inch) is a fly (like a nymph).  Different techniques can be used to work this rig, but often it's for use when the fish aren't biting very well (like mid day).  One effective approach is to tip the bottom jig with bait and since it's heavy, bounce it on the bottom to churn up sediment.  Then, tighten your line as the jig sits on or near the bottom.  Aggressive gills or perch may hit the bottom lure, but the finicky ones often go for the fly.  It works very well, at least in the lakes that I fish in PA and in MD.  Oh, OK, I'll give up one tiny secret, I often use a scud as my fly.  For some reason the gills just can't stand to not hit it.

OK, I have a question for other tightliners... What is your preferred hi vis line?  I like the Stren 4# gold, but am always looking to improve.  I can tell you that the lime green stuff I bought once stunk (can't remember what kind) as it was too stiff and way too much memory.  Anyone use the braided lines for this?  My experience with them is that they freeze up, but maybe I may rig one with it just for fishing in my warm lil' shanty with my Mr. Buddy heater!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2005, 05:01 PM »
Bucket Butt - One who places bottom upon plastic bucket to fish.  Used in a sentence - I cant believe that guy is still a bucket butt.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

icefishnfool

« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2005, 05:04 PM »
hootiecackle............is that little laugh that you let out after catching a big hacking perch

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2005, 05:14 PM »
Spike: process of adding schnapps to your hot chocolate

Spud: a tuber used for ammunition in a homemade cannon

Spud gun: a homemade cannon used for shooting potatoes at your buddys' shanties

Icehole: expletive applied to any fishin' buddy who catches more fish than you

Pucker Factor: a scale of 1 to 10 that refers to how uncomfortable you are while walking or driving on the ice

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2005, 05:16 PM »
Spike: process of adding schnapps to your hot chocolate

Spud: a tuber used for ammunition in a homemade cannon

Spud gun: a homemade cannon used for shooting potatoes at your buddys' shanties

Icehole: expletive applied to any fishin' buddy who catches more fish than you

Pucker Factor: a scale of 1 to 10 that refers to how uncomfortable you are while walking or driving on the ice

this was the definitions i was talking about before ;D good stuff :tipup:

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2005, 06:22 PM »
DUMBASS A person who doesnt own a Ice shack  ;D

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

grumpymoe

« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2005, 08:39 PM »
Here is another one from a recent post....greenies...this term was used to describe walleys?...I have heard them called many things but never that

I alwys associate greenies or greenbacks with bass. but like I said different areas
....unique to Manitoba to the best of my memory.....Emerald Green coloration that makes these beauties that run upriver from Lake Winnipeg into the Red River and Winnipeg River.....and trophy size......once in a lifetime for alot of trophyeye fishermen.....Grump

Offline ShuShu22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:31 PM »
These are essential:

The King: Lake George, NY

Green carp: Largemouth bass

Brown carp:smallmouth bass

I thought carp were brown carp. Smallmouth should be bronze carp.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.