Author Topic: Tip up rig?  (Read 5514 times)

Offline Bigman

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up rig?
« on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:09 PM »
What is the best tip up rig to catch perch?

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Re: Tip up rig?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:57 PM »
I wouldnt recomend using a tip-up for perch when you could just sit and jig them up from the bottom.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2005, 03:06 PM »
Yeah, agreed...I dont know about everyone, but I usually just jig for perch and set the tip-up to attract the bigger fish. it would have to be a pretty lite setup if you plan on using the tip-up to cath perch..you may end up losing a lot of bait.

Offline Bigman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2005, 03:09 PM »
ok thanks for the info

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2005, 03:52 PM »
I set tipups for perch all the time.  If nothing els it is a great way to cover a lot of water looking for a good jig hole.
I use a 3 foot leader of 4 lb mono or floro with a small (#4, 6 or 8) short shank hook (like an egg hook) and hook a small live minnow on it like a fathead or emerald shiner.  Give it a small split shot about a foot above the hook and set it between 6 inches and 2 feet off the bottom.  It is a great way to catch perch esp for someone who likes to chase flags.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2005, 04:09 PM »
Tipup fishing for perch is a blast for kids (and us large children ;D).  I make up a bunch of #10 quick strike rigs, get a bucket of small-medium minnows and get ready to run!  As soon as the flag goes up get there and if the line is going out let them have it.  Oh ya, and be ready for lots of supprises.  We also like to carry a jig stick with us to the flag, and as soon as you get one on the tip up, drop the jig line in and jig untill the tip up is ready to go back in. ;)

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2005, 05:51 PM »
tip-ups for perch are generally not good due to the fact they are such light bighters, they could be on there from the time you set the tip up till you go back and check it, tip-downs on the other hand are great for perch :tipup:

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2005, 09:38 PM »
When the weather is right: not too cold or gusty, I do well with Windlass tip-ups. A dropper spoon with a small gold treble (12-14) on 4 # floro leader has worked well for me. Unfortunately, you will hammer bass if they are in an aggressive mood- what a problem! Makes for some drama at the hole, though.

Offline Fish-Doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2005, 11:23 PM »

I'd have to agree with dogfish and akdg.  While I didn't get out as much as I wanted to last winter, one of the best catches of perch came on tip ups with fathead minnows.  The size of the perch coming of the tip ups were 2-3 inches above those I was jigging.  I have HT Polar (the blue / orange / black ones, not cross-stick or thermal) and was able to set the flag to a "light trip setting".  Was actually able to use the same minnow for multiple fish.
Fish-Doctor  -  Ken

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2005, 12:02 AM »
I've used tip ups for perch before. Just use a small hook and a minnow. Set the tip up very lightly. So that it trips with the slightest pull. I usually use Polar tip ups for this.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:23 AM »
Oooops! Left out that I tip the above mentioned Windlass/ dropper rig with a shiner. Prefer a medium bass shiner, but I often pick out ones that are a little smaller than average. Results in some drops from smaller perch, but usually catches bigger ones than I find with my jigging tactics. Also do well with Polars set on the light side with the same bait and a plain treble. If the lake you are fishing has mostly smaller fish, then a fathead would do better.

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2005, 01:58 PM »
I use tipups a lot for perch. I just use a #8 or #10 circle hook with a buckeye minnow then set it as I would for any other fish. Only a few times has there been a fish that has not tripped the flag...and some of the biggest perch I've caught have came off of tipups. sometimes if there is a very productive hole i will jig it a while.
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline Bigman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2005, 01:59 PM »
I see there is a bunch of controversy between tip up for perch. thanks for the info i hope it helps me this year.

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2005, 02:29 PM »
Try using tip-downs instead of tip-ups.  The perch will never feel the resistance and are less likely to drop the bait, like they often do with tip-ups whose trip mechanisms can be too much...

Offline Bigman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2005, 07:04 PM »
where can i buy a tip down?

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2005, 07:13 PM »
where can i buy a tip down?

there funner to make, especially if you have kids, heres a pic i got of someones from here and am going to copy

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2005, 07:12 AM »
there funner to make, especially if you have kids, heres a pic i got of someones from here and am going to copy
(Image removed from quote.)

thanks arch - that is one of mine.  here is someone else's also. 
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=18760.msg159782#msg159782

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:34 PM »
a teardrop jig and a minnow.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:08 AM »
yep go with the Tip Down. I made one out of 1/2inch pvc for about 10 bucks, including the price of a rod. See the above listed link for pics (towards the end).

J-

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2010, 02:52 PM »
either a teardrop or a drop shot rig

Offline mattg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:08 PM »
i'm guessing an automatic fisherman tip up would work best, although more expensive and harder to find.  i would just use normal perch lures on it, but i prefer to jig perch and have my tip ups waiting for pike

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:49 PM »
Size 6 baitholder hook with enough weight to keep the minnow down about a foot above the bait. Set the minnow a foot off the bottom... For jumbo's if your lake produces hogs, use medium shiners or emeralds. Be ready for some walleyes too if they are there  :tipup:
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.