The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: this is a little off topic  (Read 954 times)

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
this is a little off topic
« on: Dec 05, 2013, 06:16 PM »
but I am doing this for the ice fishing season because I am going to be traveling a lot. with that being said I changed the plugs in my 04' F150 triton today and knowing that some of you may have one, changing the plugs is as bad as it sounds.  I pave roads, I am not a mechanic but I can do some things and it took me 8 hours with four broken and four coming out.  I soaked the plugs for 4 hours in carb cleaner and they still broke off.  I did a lot of research on you tube and was very prepared for what I was getting into.  now my knees hurt, my chest hurts from leaning and kneeling on the truck and I am tired.  with that being said if any of you are thinking about doing it... hold off until after ice fishing season.  hope this gets me a couple MPG's for the lakes out west.  now its on to ice fishing.  getting my equipment ready. I feel better now that I vented... thanks for listening.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: this is a little off topic
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2013, 06:24 PM »
I.m not a mechanic either and I take to a friend who is very reasonable, hate busted knuckles

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:45 PM »
I just did this in my 5.4 triton a few months ago. Being prepared with the proper tools is a must! It is definitely a p.i.a. to just change plugs. Ford blew it on that plug design! I had a #5 plug misfire so I had to do it. Sorry to say, I have seen no mpg gain. Hopefully you have better luck with that! Good luck getting to your favorite fishing hole  ;D
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Who want's to change them in my Ram Hemi?  ::)

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:53 PM »
My old 04 hemi rams bed rusted off of it before spark plugs went bad.....hehe.....wait, no it wasn't funny.......  ::)
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:36 AM »
I'm thinking of going back to old school vehicles, alot easier to maintain, more power and still basicly the same gas mileage. plus if ya need to rebuild the engine or tranny, it can be done w/o a college education and cheaper than this new crap !!!
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:56 AM »
My old 04 hemi rams bed rusted off of it before spark plugs went bad.....hehe.....wait, no it wasn't funny.......  ::)

I have always been a DODGE man and, I think its a shame how these new DODGES rust.I think DODGE should fix the problem or do a recall on them.Ill be in the market for a new truck next year and i dont think its going to be a dodge.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2013, 11:29 AM »
I'm a Fordman through and through and had good luck with each and everyone of them.  I owned one Dodge and let's just say it was a HUGE P.I.A., the damn thing would just shut off while driving down the road.  After several battles and paying out the rear end they finally got it fixed.  And that only happened after I threatened to drive it through the showroom window and take out a Viper in the process.  The salesman and service guy were laughing thinking I was kidding.  Well I wish I had a picture of their faces when I went out, got in that hunk of junk, put on a football helmet, backed up in front of the showroom windows, and started revving the engine.  Oh then it was a TOTALLY different tune they were singing, I never saw two guys move that fast or so scared.  After all the crap I went through and the $2,500 I spend they finally figured out it was a broken wire.  Needless to say I ended up getting most of my money back but one thing is for sure, I WILL NEVER EVER OWN ANOTHER DODGE PRODUCT EVER!  Since that day I've always owned Fords and always will even if they have some amazingly stupid design ideas.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:14 PM »
I gotta say being in the auto business for as long as I have...there is no perfect vehicle!.. every single one of them has problems, recalls, rust issue stc... it's like the Vexilar, Marcum or Humminbird debates.. I've oened many diefferent makes and models... and I've fixed issues with all of them.

Offline Artjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:40 PM »
I think there should be a law that if you design it you have to work on it before it is sold!
Take your kids hunting and fishing and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:41 PM »
7.3 Diesel Man here!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:52 PM »
I have an 05 F150 and the worst thing about the whole truck is the plugs..  The rest I love....
When I thought  about changing the plugs I started spraying PB Blaster in all the sockets when the truck was warm and let it cool and soak in...  Helps a lot.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2013, 03:55 PM »
And to all you Dodge guys FORD is the only company that didn't take your tax money in the federal help..... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2013, 06:35 PM »
X2 on the 7.3 I prefer a truck with no sparkplugs ;D

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2013, 06:59 PM »
I think there should be a law that if you design it you have to work on it before it is sold!

ABSOLUTELY!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:18 PM »
I can relate...but I think any auto designer should be required to have at least 5 years hands on shop experience before setting at a desk!

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2013, 04:17 AM »
plugs aint to bad compared to broken studs on the ford manifolds
try that one out sometime ;D

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2013, 03:39 PM »
had a garage air hammer the broken studs   anyone with cam phaser noise?

Offline cole89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2013, 10:12 PM »
Did mine recently what pain

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.