Author Topic: Salmo chubby darters  (Read 2147 times)

Offline moonjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Salmo chubby darters
« on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:26 PM »
How really good are the Salmo Chubby Darters?

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Salmo chubby darters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:30 PM »
they are ok, silent presentation, so they have a place but i am more a fan of the lindy product over all. salmo makes the darter in a smaller size which is nice for finesse since it is silent, give both a try and see who you prefer.
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:03 PM »
I have fished both and for me the Chubby Darter hooks more fish. The vibration is better with the Chubby and even more important it swims in a much bigger Circle. This one lure has increased the quality of the fish that I get on the jigging rod more than the MANY other lure that I have fishing.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:14 AM »
I wish I could get the Hot Perch in size 6!  :(

Offline shutupandicefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:01 PM »
I really like them. They do take some practice before you can really start to catch fish on them, but I almost always have one tied onto one of the 4 rods I normally carry. Typically I use the #3 for perch, bass, and trout, and the #6 for mackinaw. The best scenarios I have found for using them, is when you haven't had any action in awhile, drop it down and jig it fairly aggressively. This will almost always pull in a few fish, and it's good to have a deadstick close by for the less interested fish. Most bites on the chubby come while it is sitting still, or just barely shaking your rod tip.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2013, 06:41 AM »
I will take the Lindy's over the Salmo any day. Then in my case a lot of the lakes I go to are stained and the rattles really are the dinner bell.

WS

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2013, 08:02 AM »
Try a small rattle trap. You wont be displeased.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2013, 12:52 PM »
Interesting to hear the different opinions.  I personally prefer the Chubby Darter over the Lindy Darter.  Side by side, at least in the areas I fish, the CD outfishes the Darter.  I like the slow, wobbling fall of the CD.   I will admit I started with the CD's and try to fish the Darters the same way, maybe that is the problem.  That said, I like the rattles of the Darter, just not as much action IMO.  Still catch plenty of fish on both. 

I am experimenting a lot this year with rattling lures.  The Rapala Rippin Rap, Live Target Shiner, and the Northland lipless baits are going to spend a lot of time on the end of the line.  We'll see how them compare to the CD and Darter. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2013, 01:45 PM »
haven't used them yet, but bought them and the lindy's. the lindy's look much more finished than salmos and salmos look fake because of being unfinished looking.
lindy's look like a 3d finish on them instead of a flat looking finish like salmos

the best part is time will tell me what the fish like best

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2013, 01:58 PM »
these are the first positive reports from reputable anglers I've heard about the lindys...where I fish, the lindys just don't work anywhere near as effectively as the chubby darters in head to head comparisons.   I only use them shallow for walleyes and big panfish feeding on yoy baitfish...

Offline moonjig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2013, 10:05 AM »
Do the smaller ones work better than the larger ones?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2013, 02:01 PM »
I catch fish on both the larger and the smaller Chubby Darters, but have lost some BIG bass on the small ones with the hooks just not up to the job...

Offline shutupandicefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2013, 07:33 PM »
Do the smaller ones work better than the larger ones?

Really depends on conditions and what you're fishing for

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2013, 11:13 AM »
agree , both have time and place , i fish the lindy and salmo bait alot , have 2 rods rigged with both and i let the fish tell me the mood they are in by how they react when dropped and worked .

always try and match the hatch , i just stated fishing the zipper and have had alot of luck with it too.

Offline shutupandicefish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2013, 11:47 AM »
agree , both have time and place , i fish the lindy and salmo bait alot , have 2 rods rigged with both and i let the fish tell me the mood they are in by how they react when dropped and worked .

always try and match the hatch , i just stated fishing the zipper and have had alot of luck with it too.

I want to pick up a few zippers as well, I think they'll be money for lake trout!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.