Author Topic: Jigging tip ups  (Read 1574 times)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
Jigging tip ups
« on: Nov 26, 2005, 07:14 PM »
Anyone seen these new contraptions? Cabalas is selling them.They jig about 1.5 inches every second.They kinda look like a joke to me,but I am not a tip up user.Wucha all think?They sell for 20 bucks.Run time is 12 hr on 2 d batteries.

stump

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Re: Jigging tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2005, 07:51 PM »
I dunno, but i was thinking about buying one so i can use dead bait instead of live.

Offline Fish-Doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2005, 07:52 PM »

Have a few "wind powered" tip ups.  Have not used them often though, this will be the second season.  Plan to use use them a bit more.  Have read other post from CA and WI/MI from those who do use frequently and sometimes exclusively.

As for the battery powered, if there is no "speed adjustment" would they jig to fast at a continuous 1.5" per second??
Fish-Doctor  -  Ken

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2005, 09:25 PM »
That was my though,that they would jig to fast and not far enough.

stump

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2005, 10:51 AM »
No they aren't a joke, they really work!  Last year I bought a Windlass tipup made by Hi-Tech Fishing and it took awhile to get it setup, but it really jigs well. 
http://www.htent.com/Tip-UpPages/windlass%20tip%20up.htm

If the wind is varrying much in intensity they don't work so hot, but on calmer days it only takes a slight breeze to make them work, but I had to bend the fins to get them working right.

Had a problem with the hole freezing up in colder days and because the spool is above the ice, as soon as the line froze in it would lose the jigging of the line.  I solved this little problem with the same solution I use on all of my tip-ups.  I use a section of carpet with a slot and small hole cut out of the middle.  After the tipup is set, carefully slide the carpet in place and your holes won't ice up.

This year I'd going to experiment with a small spinner attached to the line suspended a few inches above the bait.  The jigging action should make the spinner flutter and (hopefully) produce more action.  Anybody else try this trick, and did it work?
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2005, 05:04 PM »
another method that works is to take a 4 liter ice cream pail and cut a slot and center hole in it  fill beautifully in a 10 inch hole gives you the jigging action keeps the hole from freezing and any blowing snow stays out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.