The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Nockamixon  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Aquakeeper

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Nockamixon
« on: Nov 26, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Hi guys, never been ice fishing before. Me and a buddy are planning a trip from MD to PA to do some ice fishing. Decided to go to Lake Nockamixon and rent a cabin in the state park. We are planning to go in mid Feb. Anyone familiar with the lake and area could tell me more about a good area to setup and if the ice will be thick enough in Febuary.

Offline HooKEDUP24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Nockamixon
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Nockamixon is a big lake at low elevation.  It rarely completely freezes over, but certain arms of the lake get thick enough to fish.  There is a much smaller lake 10 minutes away called Lake Towhee that will be a better bet.  If you have never gone fishing before I would suggest going with someone who has, especially if venturing out on lakes that may no be 100% "safe". 

IMHO keep going north.  I live south of Lake Nockamixon and head north every weekend.  You don't want to be locked into a cabin in February looking at an iceless lake.  What a nightmare!
Ice Fishing Marathoner

Offline ice4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2013, 09:16 PM »
I live 40 min away from lake Nockamixon. In my opinion this is one of the hardest lakes to fish in the area.. It's big and very tuff to fish. In the winter it rarely freezes over. Even if it does, if you never ice fished before I don't suggest making a trip and fishing this lake; very dangerous on a big lake like this with the ice this lake makes. I would also go north toward Poconos if i were you.. Lots of state parks with safe ice in February and lots of great action for beginner ice fishermen...

Lake towhee is small and very little action there, you can sit all day and get like 3 flags...

Offline Aquakeeper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Thanks for the heads up guys. That's what I was afraid of, booking a cabin and getting there to a slushy mess. From where I am (South of Baltimore), its about 2 1/2hrs to Nockamixon. Trying to find something in the 2-3hr drive, anymore then that and I could make the drive to Deep Creek Lake. Poconos are about 3 1/2 hours away.
Any good spots in Lancaster, Harrisburg, Allentown area?

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Best bets for good ice are north of Route 209 in NE Pa. I'm in the Allentown area and we rarely if ever get consistent ice here any more.
I'd head to the Pocono Plateau, Lot's of good lakes to fish, a popular place is Promised land State Park. Get's crowded, but lots of action with  bass, panfish and pickerel. Some trout too. The extra hour drive would be well worth it.
Jim K.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2013, 07:43 AM »
If you are just starting ice fishing, I would suggest an easier lake. As stated above, go farther north. Promised Land would be a much better bet. Call ahead to make sure you can get a cabin. I fish there a lot and it's great for gills, perch, crappie and pickerel with the occasional bass. The lower lake is stocked with trout. Definitely a better lake to learn on. The water is shallow, under 10ft, and it's easy to access. Last year the ice got to 12".

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2013, 07:49 AM »
If you guys hit PROMISLAND and catch a PICKEREL wit a jig in its mouth please Pm my friend SPIDER.LOL.He wants that fish BAD ;)

Offline Jack.Hart

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2013, 07:53 AM »
If you live in MD, try going to Deep Creek Lake MD. Great lake for icefishing, plenty of walleye and perch.

Offline Aquakeeper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2013, 08:21 AM »
Thinking that might be the best bet and safest since they get thick ice on that lake. I'm familiar with that area so that's a advantage.

Offline jbscrazies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2013, 03:19 PM »
Deep Creek is a good suggestion, however lake access is the tricky part.  I'm not saying you can't get on the lake, you just don't have many good options unless you know someone.

Offline Aquakeeper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Looked more into Promised Land and it looks like a good area to try out. Anyone have any suggestions for places to stay the weekend?

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2013, 05:02 PM »
PROMISED LAND RENTS OUT RUSTIC CABINS ALL SEASON LONG, VERY CHEAP, YOU CAN STAY BY THE DAY FROM SEPT TO MEMORIAL DAY, THEY HAVE A FRIDGE, ELECTRIC, NO TV OR COMPUTER AND NO HEAT BUT IF YOU GET YOUR OWN FIREWOOD THEY ALL HAVE GIANT STONE FIREPLACES WITH HEATILATORS THAT KEEP THEM NICE AND TOASTY. THEY ARE LOCATED RIGHT NEXT TO THE SMALL LAKE AND ONLY 1/8 OF A MILE FROM THE BIG LAKE, THERE ARE JUMBO BASS IN THE LARGE LAKE BUT YOUR MOSTLY GONNA CATCH SHORTS AND PICKEREL, GOOD PANS THERE THOUGH. SHOHOLA IS A GOOD BIG BASS LAKE, SHALLOW THOUGH WITH LOTS OF WEEDS , IT'S ONLY 15 MILES AWAY FROM PROMISED LAND.

Offline Libradaze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2013, 10:09 AM »
I live in Northeast PA.  I primarily fish Wayne County lakes.  I have fished Promised Land Lower Lake.  It is a very shallow lake.  I think the deepest part of the lake is right off the boat launch, towards the dam.  I would set up there.  Bass action on tip ups should be good.  You can jig for pan fish and trout. Good Luck.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2013, 07:21 AM »
I would fish the upper lake. Good panfish. Mostly gills and perch, from time to time you'll hit a pod of crappie. You might get lucky and catch some bass but I've never caught any that made the 15" limit. Pickerel are everywhere and sometimes they get BIG. I was there when a guy pulled a 26 incher through the ice. The one that got my jig (thanks Chez, lol) was at least 20 " last year... I didn't see all of him, he took my jig at the hole... my favorite jig... my favorite glow jig... the jig that I always tied on first... I'll get that fish if I have to chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition's fla... oops, sorry about that... yeah, if he's still down there he's gotta be a big boy by now. I'll know him by his crooked jaw and my harpoon in his side  ::)

Offline Butkus51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2013, 06:29 PM »
When I was a kid in the late 70's and early 80's we iced fished Nox. Peace Valley, and Towhee all the time.  They would drive fire trucks down the boat ramps and on to the lake to see if the ice was safe.  We would sneak behind the Pearl Buck house in Dublin and catch the best crappie.

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2013, 10:22 PM »
nockamixon is a bear to catch fish on regularly at any time of year let alone on ice that is rarely safe and never have i seen the whole lake locked up there are some big fish there but not a lot of numbers of fish thats for sure. i live close by it and i still head north every weekend to fish mostly in the poconos or scranton area if your thinking of heading up that way pm me and ill try and meet up with you guys if youd like some help

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.