Author Topic: Exclusive State Managed Trophy Fishery - Interest Level  (Read 3011 times)

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Exclusive State Managed Trophy Fishery - Interest Level
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2013, 10:19 AM »
So you weren't proposing anything?  Only generating interest in the state providing a lake where "anyone" can realistically catch "trophy" sized fish of one or more species daily?  For a fee.   I say there are trophy sized fish in almost every state managed fishery in Nebraska.  Look at the record books and master angler award applications that flood the state every year. That's why you can only receive one award per species per year.  The reason people don't realistically catch trophy fish everyday is because some people are content to plop a folding chair and a cooler full of beef down about any ol' where and sit and watch a bobber.  And even then a blind old pig can find an acorn.  People who realistically want to catch trophy fish already can.  Some fish a little harder than others, some get lucky, and some pay for someone else to do their foot work.  "Canned" may be a vague and dirty word but again I'm not personally interested in the state providing such a lake as you  spelled out in your original post.

Clarification on the Master Angler Award rules:  You can only receive ONE Master Angler Award per species per year for fish that are HARVESTED or kept.  Those fish that are not immediately released must meet the minimum weight to qualify for a Master Angler Award.

Fish that are immediately released can qualify for a Master Angler Award by meeting the minimum length established for each species, AND anglers can receive an unlimited number of Master Angler Awards each year for fish that are RELEASED.

One additional comment, there is NO DOUBT that the potential of many public bodies of water to produce big fish, Master Angler Award sized fish, is limited by the over-harvest of fish, especially big fish, http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/2013/01/pigs-ice/.

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #31 on: Dec 02, 2013, 02:01 PM »
Glad to see the post is generating dialogue.  Again, the purpose of the post is to determine interest level, spark discussions and raise questions!  FYI this topic has been discussed a lot lately in many states - specifically Texas and other states hit hard by drought and subsequent limited angling opportunities.  Also, in states with dense populations out East public fishing is very limited, so it's something the state agencies are considering implementing from what I've been told.  There already exist a lot of private bass clubs in GA, LA, AL, MS, TX, FL - but it's the first time I believe that some states are considering implementing on their own.  I find it unlikely NE would ever do something like this - and I'm on the fence on whether I'd be interested or not as an angler.  On one hand it would be great to have some SD type fishing within an hour to two drive, but there are other considerations.  As in most other forums, some find the program to have merit, others don't.  What I find fascinating is many of the ones who are not in favor of the idea seem to respond pretty passionately about it, as though they've been insulted, and begin casting dispersions towards others.  Don't understand how the conversation degenerates into something on a personal level...bummer!

I don't find it fascinating....LOL.  Most sportsman are fairly passionate.  Bow hunters riling muzzleloaders who make fun of cartridge rifle hunters...etc.  This is more of an ethics / fair chase debate IMO.  I'm not ethically opposed to any type fishery like this.  I think every fish caught from a lake like that is an asterisk-marked fish.  If a guy has a few grand but not a few weeks on his hand...this is an option.  I personally have more time than money.  But...over the period of a winter, I'll blow $2000 maybe on gear, gas, hotel, food, licenses, etc.  Riding a cart to golf, trailering a Harley to Sturgis...there are things people do that irk others for some reason.  If this lake idea takes off, put a Guest Pass provision in the membership terms...I'd try it. 

On another note, the idea of having a good number of members could make for some really fun format tournaments, cooking contests, etc.   On a sour note...if there is a kill off or virus or something you might have a lot of PO'd people.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 02, 2013, 02:30 PM »
So you weren't proposing anything?  Only generating interest in the state providing a lake where "anyone" can realistically catch "trophy" sized fish of one or more species daily?  For a fee.   I say there are trophy sized fish in almost every state managed fishery in Nebraska.  Look at the record books and master angler award applications that flood the state every year. That's why you can only receive one award per species per year.  The reason people don't realistically catch trophy fish everyday is because some people are content to plop a folding chair and a cooler full of beef down about any ol' where and sit and watch a bobber.  And even then a blind old pig can find an acorn.  People who realistically want to catch trophy fish already can.  Some fish a little harder than others, some get lucky, and some pay for someone else to do their foot work.  "Canned" may be a vague and dirty word but again I'm not personally interested in the state providing such a lake as you  spelled out in your original post.

Yes, I did propose the fishery in my original post - what I meant to convey is I don't have a preference one way or another.  A fee would be necessary to pay for the additional cost of on site management - supplemental stocking, etc - unless it became a raffle type thing like they do for Bighorn season.  Maybe that's an idea, who knows.  These types of private fisheries elsewhere are funded by owners, HOA, or by club members.  If the state offered one, they'd have to pay for it, somehow.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline teehjaeh57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 02, 2013, 02:48 PM »
I don't find it fascinating....LOL.  Most sportsman are fairly passionate.  Bow hunters riling muzzleloaders who make fun of cartridge rifle hunters...etc.  This is more of an ethics / fair chase debate IMO.  I'm not ethically opposed to any type fishery like this.  I think every fish caught from a lake like that is an asterisk-marked fish.  If a guy has a few grand but not a few weeks on his hand...this is an option.  I personally have more time than money.  But...over the period of a winter, I'll blow $2000 maybe on gear, gas, hotel, food, licenses, etc.  Riding a cart to golf, trailering a Harley to Sturgis...there are things people do that irk others for some reason.  If this lake idea takes off, put a Guest Pass provision in the membership terms...I'd try it. 

On another note, the idea of having a good number of members could make for some really fun format tournaments, cooking contests, etc.   On a sour note...if there is a kill off or virus or something you might have a lot of PO'd people.

Key point Boji - time is essential if one is willing to chase the bite.  If you don't have time, you're relegated to fishing water within a short distance of home.  Where some folks live those options are wholly uninspiring.  Some of those guys give up fishing, head to golf, and the state loses revenue and perhaps an entire generation of future fishermen if Dad isn't taking them out on weekends.  Some of those guys learn some science, find local farm ponds in need of some love [management], offer it to the landowner for free, and get some good options for fishing locally and build a special fishery with their own hands.  Some save every dime they make and buy a little chunk out of town and build a pond or two to create their own slice of heaven.  I opted for the latter two options as I only have time to make 1 trip annually anywhere further than 2-3 hrs from home.  I'm a small business owner, father of 3, and volunteer coaching for four sports about 50 hours a month.  Every minute of my day is triple mortgaged - yet I find time to post on this forum?  LOL.

For guys with limited time, local, small water fishing is their only option.  Being a member of a club lake is another option they may find appealing.  To guys who have mastered the art of fishing big water and/or have the time to make treks, this scenario is obviously not as appealing.  I've said it before, those of you are true masters - I'm truly in awe.  The spectacle of 20,000 frozen acres in 12" of snow standing on the bank with a topo map is intimidating.  Guys who make that happen have honed their craft - and I'm just unaccustomed to it.  Fishing for small pond highly pressured fish in gin clear water with 36" leader of 12x tippet [.0026˝] would be a challenge to many - and that's what I know.

If something like this happens, I can state I'd love to be a part of it.  It would be my largest management project to date and would be a blast.  When you start experiencing success with fishery or pond management, creating something out of nothing with your ideas as the only resource/guide, it's addicting.  Successfully achieving goals by managing the ecosystem can surpass the joy of fishing - maybe.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.