Author Topic: LED lighting  (Read 13003 times)

Offline zebj25

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LED lighting
« Reply #30 on: Nov 18, 2013, 07:49 AM »
Thank you for posting...I just got my first pop up yesterday and was trying to come up with ideas for lighting. 

Offline jjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 18, 2013, 08:47 AM »
lots of good info thanks guys

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 18, 2013, 11:46 AM »
I picked up a cheap set of led fog/driving lights, wires, switch, mounting brackets on lights all included. Set up with one light is bright enough in my scout tc, lights are also waterproof, and shockproof paid $25 for the set. I will be mounting the other one up to my vex for setting up tip up in the dark(or when I don't have a shelter with me) and to keep an eye on my other tip up's with the reflective tape. Just my input, no need to break the bank.... We all need to buy bait too ;D ;D -olc
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 18, 2013, 03:50 PM »
I use a hanging led camping light.  Also good for temporary use elsewhere(back of truck when loading and unloading gear).  Round with 24 leds powered by 4 AA batteries.  Can hang 2 or 3 but usually just use one.  Has a v shaped hook included and I just hook a metal shower curtain snap to hook it to a pole or hook.

http://www.gofastandlight.com/images/ufo_camp_light_main.JPG

Not the name brand I have but the same light,

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 18, 2013, 10:28 PM »
The thing I like about the light stick that Clam came out with is that they are part of the shelter. The s-hooks will be nice but I think that they will need to be taken off during travel.

I'll put this to a test this season. the worst thing that could happen is that I would need to replace the light bar next year. what I did on my Scout EXP was to put the s clips on the over head pole and then used 2 of the 4 screws that come with the bar and drill a hole in each s clip and put a screw in to hold the s clip to the pole. I then hooked the light bar to the clips and left it so I could rotate the bar towards the front of the house or back to me and the sled. it folds up fine and doesn't seem to be a issue yet. I will see after a full season of use.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline jjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 19, 2013, 08:01 PM »
ordered some from tonyreclighting...cant wait to see how they work!

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 19, 2013, 08:15 PM »
ordered some from tonyreclighting...cant wait to see how they work!

I think you will be very happy with your lights. I still could not believe how bright one set was.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 19, 2013, 09:41 PM »
I use circle led battery lights for tents in my hub shelters they work best for me because they all fit in a small ice cream bucket and still have plenty of lights for my two clam command posts that I take when I have a large groups on the ice !  I found them in the Walmart camping section for light $8 each and the run for days on 4aa battery's  just my 2 cents
Never to many short poles

Offline jjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 20, 2013, 07:52 PM »
got my 2 foot strip from tonysreclighting today and dang! lights up my whole 6x8 house like its day light might even catch a tan in there now  ;D and when im not using it it rolls right up into my tackle bag so i can bring it anywhere i go! love that it hooks up to my vexilar. so i now have super bright lighting and im NOT carrying around any extra!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Nov 20, 2013, 08:02 PM »
Just got my 2' Northern Bright lights in the mail today .....wow bright gonna be able to see finally at night . Fits into my ammo box with battery and room to spare . Good investment .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Nov 20, 2013, 10:31 PM »
You guys are all paying about 5x too much for these things.   ;)

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 20, 2013, 10:43 PM »
Please, do tell, where I can light my shack for under 20 bucks.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Nov 21, 2013, 07:20 AM »
You can essentially get the same thing as northern bright, tonysrec, firebright, etc, on EBAY for a fraction of the cost.    I know some people are deathly afraid of EBAY, but if you purchase from a reputable seller, there are no worries.    I can get 120cm (48”) strips for about 5-6 bucks shipped to my door.   Some of these guys will add  heavier gauge wire and alligator clips for you and then resell it under their own name, but I’d rather save the dough and do it myself.  Its not rocket surgery

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #43 on: Nov 21, 2013, 09:12 AM »
@ henrychinaski Please, do tell, where I can light my shack for under 20 bucks.

brightest water proof LED chips in production is the 5630 SMD (surface mount device) in highest number kelvin, 6500k (blueish like day light bulbs).

i bought a remote control in line dimmer/off/on for 5$ because it is way too bright, but you can cut up different sizes and switch them to have different brightness's and angles. you can either solder you wires to them or buy the quick clips.

here is the cheapest/brightest you will find any where and water proof.
i have two sets and will be building sets for shanty and other items.
3m self stick back on it.
300 smd's in 16 feet/5 meter
http://www.led-outlets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=225_303_259&products_id=297

only thing brighter than this is the double density versions. means twice as many SMD's per foot or 600 smd's per 5 meter/16 feet the above version has 300 per 5 meter/16 feet.

i might get green ones, double density, for under water fishing lights.

i might get RGB version to use red lights in the shanty to keep eyes acclimated or just red ones, single density.

the lady who owns the site does care and will go out of her way to make sure you are happy.

heres an inline dimmer no remote
http://www.led-outlets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=225_303_226&products_id=181

UPDATE:
she now has 7020 White but not water proof
http://www.led-outlets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=594

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:21 AM »
You can essentially get the same thing as northern bright, tonysrec, firebright, etc, on EBAY for a fraction of the cost.    I know some people are deathly afraid of EBAY, but if you purchase from a reputable seller, there are no worries.    I can get 120cm (48”) strips for about 5-6 bucks shipped to my door.   Some of these guys will add  heavier gauge wire and alligator clips for you and then resell it under their own name, but I’d rather save the dough and do it myself.  Its not rocket surgery

So you have to solder your own wires on? 

I knew you could buy the entire rolls for fairly cheap.  So I was aware the mark up for having wires added was there.  I don't find it ridiculous though.  It's still pretty cheap and I'm not a fan of ebay.  I've used it and had success, it's just what I've heard what people have to go through that get scammed that keeps me from not using it more.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:47 AM »
I guess that’s the price you pay then. Just wanted to inform people who might be interested in that option and are not afraid of a solder iron or elec tape.   My $20 setup has been going strong for 3 years now and no issues with shipping, got them in 3 days

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:51 AM »
Mine was only 20$, with switch and shipping, received in 3 days in Alaska  ???

I had to provide a little wire though.

I really should of just bought an entire roll off ebay,  I love these little lights.  I have a few projects I could use them on for sure.

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:56 AM »
where did you get yours from henrychinaski.  i'm looking for some too

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:58 AM »
superbrightleds.com

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 21, 2013, 11:04 AM »
what did you order, any part number or anything. I need for single person and triple person shanty.  Get sick of hauling out gas lantern

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 21, 2013, 11:17 AM »
In the site, search flexible water proof bar or strip

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #51 on: Nov 21, 2013, 11:53 AM »
i did not post prices, but looks like i should it is 18.65 to your door for 300 LEDs on a 16 foot reel brightest ever made and water proof strip ready to build and has one lead pre-soldered. you can cut it to what ever lenghts you want at every third led there is a scissor icon on the strip to show where you can cut it.
http://www.led-outlets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=225_303_259&products_id=297

there are push on wired connectors you attach to the LED strip on sold on amazon and other sites. you cut off a small section over the solder pads and push this attachment over the solder pads and it makes the connection for you if you have no means to solder.  if you want to extend the wire it has on it, you can use crimp type butt connectors and make and lengths you want. if you want alligator clips/clamps on battery side, you can crimp those on easily as well. if you want  1/4 female spades to slip over your battery connector, you can crimp those on as well. if you want an on/off switch you crimp the 1/4 female spades on the positive wire where you want the switch and push those onto the switch. if you want remote control and hard wire with 1/4" female spade slipped onto the battery (thats what i did) get one and splice the remote control module to negative and positive wires and use crimp style butt connectors.

it is extremely easy to do any of this.

it's a no brainer and all you need is a wire stripper/crimper (borrow one if you don't have, but can be had cheap) and what ever you want to add to the mix as far as pieces/parts. if you buy the 16 feet reel of it, you can build lots of lights/light kits of all sorts of configurations and its fun to step back and say "look at what i made" and or make some for fellow ice anglers or gifts or for more areas in or round your home or car.
you can build your own fishing lights you submerge too. just get the double density green water proof. maybe stick 3 lengths onto a piece of pvc and large lead sinker inside it.
you can build your own "angel eyes" for your head light on your car that are so popular now days, if you wanted to.

these things are so sweat!
word of wisdom tho, the self stick adhesive is not thick enough to well insulate the energy running thru them from shorting out. its very thin and the solder pads are on both sides of the strip. be careful mounting them onto metal and check your tape to see if its the clear thin type too, like used in window treatments to hang plastic on for winter time. i'm thinking on going with the 3M Water Proof foam tape that is thick enough and much stronger and should not let go like the cheesy tape that comes with them does, or leave the paper on the tape and velcro wire tie them in place and to be able to move them end of season to a more needed place.
maybe cut a small diameter piece of pvc length wise and stick it onto it on either side or both sides.

i will keep taking the propane lantern for low heat needs and to bring in plankton at the same time. any extra light is just a bonus.

my posts on this thread are if you are handy and like to make things like this or want to try.

Offline jjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 21, 2013, 12:04 PM »
If it was something more the 20 bucks then yea Id look into eBay. but not to worried about 20 bucks and have the lights ready to get put up when they arrive at my door instead of dinking around making so I can use it. When its cheap any ways I see no reason in going cheaper and making it more difficult ;D

sunniewally

« Reply #53 on: Nov 21, 2013, 05:20 PM »
what more is needed then a good headlamp!! can see all you need and the best for tying on the tiny hooks, don't take up any room, can see to pack  up, no gas or big batteries to mess  with.   light your way back to truck.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Nov 21, 2013, 06:31 PM »
I went with tonyreclighting because he has a warranty if something goes wrong. I don't mind paying a little more if it has warranty.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline jjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Nov 21, 2013, 07:42 PM »
I went with tonyreclighting because he has a warranty if something goes wrong. I don't mind paying a little more if it has warranty.
same here. works perfect.  i had a head lamp and got rid of it. got sick of wearing it. Now i have something that takes up no space no propane and lights the whole shack like a space ship. i will never go back to a head lamp or lantern again!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Nov 27, 2013, 09:00 PM »
Have to bump this thread because I am so proud of the install of my LED lights. Ordered the 300 light strip off ebay for 18.65 shipped. Put on the connectors I had in the garage and alligator clips I only used half the roll of lights and put on my center bar. Used the 3m tape that it came with and then also some zip ties to help out. Daaaang they are bright and awesome!!!! Hooked to flasher battery. I will probably order a new battery just to have for these for the fact I won't have to run the wire up to the front of shack to my flasher. An extra battery is like 15 bucks so what the heck. Will use for lights and pry last all season on one charge for no more power these lights take. Not to mention will then have a spare battery for flasher. Very clean and flush install!! Going to be awesome for night fishing crappie. Must have for the price!! I was skeptical at first but now can't me more happy about lighting. Thanks to all you that posted.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #57 on: Nov 28, 2013, 06:07 AM »
I bought a bunch of the LED strips in 2' length  and use them all around the shop. Here is my hut and after seeing the new cars driving around with the fancy headlights I made my own. They are bright enough that I can turn off my regular lights and still see. Lights up the road side quite a bit. Ideas, Ideas, love this site!

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Nov 29, 2013, 09:13 PM »
I just purchased a couple of the Clam LED/fan hanging units, anybody have any experience with these?

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 03, 2013, 02:39 PM »
I have the large Clam light and only use it for the fan which is OK.  The light doesn't put out much light.  I saw a Coleman CPX6 lantern at Walmart yesterday and it says it puts out 190 lumens of light.  I am wondering how many lumens does it take to light up a Clam Voyager with the black sled.  How many lumens does a 3 or 4 ft led light section like talked about above in the post?  I have been leaning towards the light strip over a lantern since I want to start doing more early morning and late evening fishing. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.