Author Topic: Eskimo Fatfish 949i  (Read 7086 times)

Offline bmaher287

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo Fatfish 949i
« on: Nov 07, 2013, 08:48 PM »
I am in the market for a hub style ice shelter. I have only ever used hard bottom shelters, but I am looking for something easier to transport and store. Of the models I have looked at, the Eskimo 949i, the insulated one, is the one I am the most interested in. Does anyone have any reviews of this shelter? Or have any other shelter recommendations? Thanks for any help.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo Fatfish 949i
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2013, 09:16 PM »
They are nice.  If you do get one invest in some stronger tie-down rope or bungee cords. And when you pack it up after a day of fishing you can use the rope or bungee cords tie around the shelter and cinch down on it really good so it will fit in the carrying bag alot easier. The anchors that come with it are fairly easy to screw into the ice by hand. Oh...and maybe get a few carabiner clips for quick attachment when you are using the tie-down ropes if you go that route.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2013, 06:48 AM »
I have a Fatfish, though not insulated (my heater is more than adequate to take care of that problem).  I agree you need better tie downs than the short thin cords that come with it.  I use my canoe cam straps (12' +) to hold out the sides, and they adjust quickly.  Sometimes in very high winds, it is tricky to get it put up.  Also, unless they have changed, they don't give you enough stakes to hold down all 4 corners and all four sides.  They do sell extras in packages of 2 (not cheap, though).  Make sure you have 8 stakes and 4 straps for the windy days. 
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2013, 07:32 AM »
I have this shelter and am very happy with it.
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2013, 08:25 AM »
I don't have experience with anything other than Eskimo pop up shelters-started with a quick fish 3 & added a 949 two years back when they came out and I have no complaints. They've held up in some brutal winds & I've mastered getting them up & down in the wind-it helps if you have a hand but I've managed alone too. The cam straps are the way to go (Harbor Freight has 'em cheap) mine are attached to the sides all the time & you need the extra anchors as mentioned, anchor the four corners with the hut flat, place anchors about 6' out from the sides and get the straps in them, pop it up and tighten em 'em down quick & scurry inside to drill & fish. Not the most mobile so I do my homework before pitching camp and it's worked well for us.
" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2013, 01:16 PM »
Mine just hit the porch this morning so i'll definately be putting it up when i get home :thumbsup: :woot: :woot: I had a QF3 and have nothing bad to say. Great tents
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Got mine 2yrs ago as well no problem to date used it a handful of times last yr just once the yr prior the little lady loves it, a little overkill for my neck of the woods, but love not being rained on.  I am having a new bag made seeings the original ripped last yr.  I like the cam strap idea got a few I use for the yaks, sure beats tying half hitches with those little lines with numb digits.  Any problem with ice with those cam-lok straps?
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Hmm, those of you "owners" seemed to be very pleased. None of you have mentioned the negatives posted in "Reviews" in Cabela's web site.  Maybe Eskimo increased their quality control.    Any thoughts ?     ;)2

Offline Sixxer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2013, 02:13 PM »
I had the 949i when it first came out, it lasted one season and one windy day the fabric ripped from the anchor point. So the anchor was still in place with the fabric, but the stitching had come undone and ripped one section of the shanty. Was a great tent, but not excellent. Poles kept getting bent wrong direction which I think they fixed in the newer model. Don't even get me started on the bag(garbage.) Now I have the new Clam insulated Bigfoot and it's been good so far. Hope this helps.

-Sixxer
"Of course our rods are short, it's freezing out here!"

Offline bmaher287

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2013, 02:27 PM »
After I posted this, I came across reviews on Cabelas and a few other sites that were extremely negative about the quality of everything about the shelter. It pushed me away from the fatfish to look at Clam shelters. I am most interested in the Bigfoot 4000XLT or the jason mitchell elite one. They both seem like good shelters. I guess after the many negative comments I have heard I am nervous about purchasing one from Eskimo.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2013, 02:32 PM »
1st Edition 949i, yes bag garbage indeed maybe some other issues will arise with time and use.  As for now no issues.  I have read a many of horror stories bout broken rod this, ripped that and I must admit some of the stitching looks as though a kindergarten class was let loose on the machines.  I've taken a proactive approach I check my hubs making sure pins are in place and everything is sound.  I appreciate the gift I received and the shotty stitching gives it "character" ;).  Would I trade it up for a new model, well I think any married man can answer that question.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2013, 03:34 PM »
When I first got my FatFish a rod was broken because I set it up wrong.  Eskimo immediately replaced the rod and gave me an extra.  the next year I had problems with the rods twisting in the roof hub, and that led to another pole breaking.  Eskimo sent me an upgrade on the pole ends to correct that problem, and new poles as well - I never paid a dime for anything.

The shelters are economical, so they may have problems at times, but I can't complain at all, considering all the support they have. 
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2013, 06:55 PM »
This thing is sweet. Put it up in the nice sunshine to make sure everything was good. Initial inspection looks great, I can see where people would complain about the windows not being aligned right with the Velcro on the tent. It is a bit off but you just have to use a little give and take to get a good seal on the upper and lower velcros. I think eskimo could probably do a little more attention to detail here, but im satisfied. Poles seem mounted very good in the hubs. Everything looks nice and tight. I do check these regularly as the last 2 pop ups I have had the nuts have came loose. Just tighten it up and its good to go. Both doors zip and unzip with no probs. The bag seemed to be in good shape, plenty of room for me to put it back in after removing it from the tight pack job they do when its made. All in all I think I will get many good years out of this tent
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline twincities86

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Yea buddy
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2013, 09:30 PM »
I have one and it's great. Remember, it's an ice fishing shelter, not a bomb shelter
KCCO

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2013, 03:12 AM »
I've had a 949 non insulated for two years now. Love it.

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2013, 01:47 PM »
Just bought one!

compared both the xlt4000 and the fatfish while at cabela's. There i was able to set up the fatfish and compare it side by side... the clam is bigger, 2-4" overall width x height, dont really notice it comparing them, clam is a few pounds heavier...

I found the eskimo online at L&M supply - $264 / free shipping!! ($349 @ cabela's)

Offline AERO63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2013, 04:13 PM »
I have the standard 949 (non-insulated), used it all last season with good results.  No issues so far with hubs, poles, bag, etc, etc...

Offline MT_Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:14 PM »
I just got mine the other day 12/4 from glen's army navy.  They have free shipping and the best price I've seen online.  My buddy got one there too.  They are really nice....if you get a good one.  My buddies was really nice - mine has problems.  I won't say that it's not a good shelter because eskimo is still working on what to do about it, but I would make sure you set it up and inspect it closely if you get one.  Mine was missing the "tripple layer" fabric on 3 of the 4 bottom corners, seemed to have some pole length issues, and has one side that won't sit flat on the ground.  My buddies was perfect and they look like they will be a great size to spear and fish in. 
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care" - Peter Gibbons

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2013, 07:55 PM »
I just got mine today and gave it a quick look over.  I will definitely be giving it a close inspection but so far it looks first rate.

Offline lightningrod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2014, 11:18 PM »
I got one today because I assumed the hubs and poles would be the same as my Quickfish 3 which are excellent and have never given me a problem. Initially, I was leaning toward a Quickfish 6 but when I heard about the 949i, I liked the fact that it was insulated and it sounded like 3 guys could fish in it comfortably. (I also liked the idea of fishing without getting rained on within my shack). I was in Cabela's and got stats on the 949i and it compared to Cabela's XL2000 which was set up in the store. Perfect size for 3 guys. Bought the 949i from a guy who said it was new and it looks as if it has never been set up. Paid $320 for it which I thought was a good price. I took it home, set it up and checked it over and was super impressed. Nicer than anything I saw set up at Cabela's. THEN I read the reviews.. I was shocked. Lots of complaints about poles and hubs. There were pictures posted of posts with pins that had popped out of hub. With a feeling of dread I examined the hubs on my new purchase only to find that the design is totally different. The post ends have a gooved lip that spins freely in the hub. No pins. I yanked on all the rods and the hub design appears rock solid. Eskimo has obviously corrected the poor hub design and I understand they have put beafier poles in the newer models as well. It seems pretty sturdy to me and I can't wait to try her out on Monday. Hope the fish are biting in Balsam Bay!

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2014, 08:39 AM »
I recently fished with a guy who bought the clam Jason Mitchell elite series hub..... all I can say is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 my next shanty for sure!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.