The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Ice fishingLine.  (Read 1787 times)

Offline fishamichagander

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishingLine.
« on: Nov 06, 2013, 02:01 PM »
Its getting time to respool my ice reels soon , I wasnt impressed with the berkley micro ice  2-4 lbs wts. Can any one shed insight on a good all around line . I went back to cold weather berkley halfway through last years season.I was just wondering if theres something better out there. Thanks.
Whats the secret to catching fish? Fish where the fish are.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishingLine.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2013, 03:46 PM »
Run what you have as a spool filler, then add 2 or 3 times your normal fishing depth as a leader/tippet with flouro. Personally use ASSO Micron 3 (yourbobbersdown) but numerous brands of flyfishing flouro tippet material are out there and are more than adequate. Leader/tippet gets short, just add more and keep the spool full

Offline fishamichagander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2013, 08:31 PM »
Thanks I will give that a try.

Offline wmu1989

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2013, 09:16 AM »
As mentioned above, leave existing line on reel for "filler". I switched to Nanofil by Berkley last year and love it. It has zero memory thus eliminating coiling on the small ice reels and is lighter and stronger to boot. I then tie on a fluorocarbon leader and use a fiskas tungsten jig.  Good luck

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2013, 10:10 AM »
all i use is ASSO.
loved the HT Ice Black. super strong and all types of sizes like .3 .8 1.3 ect. i think the asso micron is like that but not as strong. they quit making it, but i have some 6 pound (great leader line) on a noodle rod and landed a cat fish on it last year. had the rod horse shoed over and taking line and i was palming the reel to try to slow it down when he ran. best fight i have had on ice so far.

trying other types of asso this year.
normally i only use super high tenacity 2 pound fully loaded spools as we fish 60 fow at times.
going to try some of their sinking braid and tip it with their tippet 1.5 pound, if it freezes, it will used in the flip shanty. maybe tie on a ball bearing swivel if it sinks too slow between lines.
got some new fluorocarbon coated nylon.
lots of others to try out from asso!
yourbobbersdown had free shipping til halloween and sales on all of their lines, so time to play this year with new lines.

also i bought some larger diameter asso lines and brightly colored to use as fill and then tie in smaller diameter lines, thinking faster retrieves.  i use 5.2:1 gear ratio reels, but with the tiny lines we use, i thought this may speed things up.

trying the frabil titanium wire bobbers this year too. some complain of it moving at the rubber mount, but you can wrap the rod at mounting point with thread first if its a problem and a touch of finger nail paint to keep it from unraveling. i might write frabil about it.

X2 on fiska as primary lure

Offline fishamichagander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Thanks guys for all the valuable insight . I can see Ive got a long ways to go when it comes to line. I never thought of using my old line as a backer. I was half way thinking of toying around with the newer in line reels that sort of look like a glorified fly reel .I see Genz/Clam corp is making one .anyone using these new  type reels . whats your thoughts? Thanks in advance

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2013, 04:20 PM »
looking to try one my self. this is the only one i'm willing to try atm

Eagle Claw Inline Ice Reel
about 20 bucks.
waiting on free shipping from some on line site
i read the lean some in your hand and makes the line bunch up on one side of the reel, so i am not in any hurry to get one

UPDATE:
found free shipping at a few places (dicks has new one) and the new version (black) is on the way to test.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2013, 06:55 PM »
ASSO Micron 3  is still made, just repackaged into 50yd spools instead of 50m, seasons supply arrived Tuesday. It will break at a lighter weight but it is a truer IGFA type class line. It's 2# breaks at ~2.2# where most of the normal BIG name brands 2# will break at closer to 3.5#. It's plenty tough enough if used correctly, stays straight and sinks like a rock.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2013, 08:39 PM »
8 & 12oz line is called for at times as is 2.5mm Wolframs (#20 hook). Learning to back reel and read the fish is essential, no drags can consistently deal with it. Stuff makes a babys' hair look like rope, 1.5x on the reading glasses here

Offline fishamichagander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2013, 03:01 PM »
So can you buy these lines at places like Dicks or Gander Mountain or do I need to order from Reeds or ????? store online.
By the way, thanks for the input on the Eagle Claw inline reel.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2013, 04:11 PM »
only place i know for asso line is yourbobbersdown dot com
lots to pick from
we use mostly super high tenacity 2#, but i'm playing this season with other asso lines and reels. only reel we buy any more is the Pflueger® Trion® GX-7 Spinning Reel. best bang per dollar. i get them for 19 bucks new, but thats @ wholesale only.
retail i think 30 bucks

@ fishamichagander
i sent some PM's last night you might wanna check out too

another recent thread about lines
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=153440.0

Offline Trek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can teach you.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2013, 05:30 PM »
Sufix Ice is awesome I highly recommend it. Never had any issues with line coil in cold temps.
"removed"
I caught a fish once.

Offline fishamichagander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2013, 12:52 PM »
Thanks Everyone, I guess I better do something soon.Im looking out my window and the snow is coming down .Its supposed to git down in the upper teens tonight........CCCANT WAIT!!!

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2013, 05:26 PM »
I've never tried braided line thru the ice but I've talked to some guys who swear by it. The mono lines coil but I'm wondering if the braid will ice. Input?

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2013, 11:23 PM »
I've tried the braided.  It doesn't coil, and I never had any problem with icing.  But it seems too stiff for me, and I don't really like it.  Also it is just about impossible to cut it, which makes it hard to rig up. 

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2013, 12:20 PM »
I did a fair amount of experimenting while after panfish the last couple of years. I've found Asso (Heavy brown) and Tectan Floro (from FishUSA) to be my favorites. Thinner than normal lines of the same strength, flexible, low memory, and dependable. I didn't try the Asso Micro.

Dave

Wow! 100th post!

Offline fishamichagander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2013, 02:50 PM »
 Let me ask the question another way.What major brand lines should I stay away from.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2013, 03:06 PM »
I've tried the braided.  It doesn't coil, and I never had any problem with icing.  But it seems too stiff for me, and I don't really like it.  Also it is just about impossible to cut it, which makes it hard to rig up.

Try using a good pair of scissors to cut the braided and other super lines. It makes cutting these lines easy.

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2013, 05:43 PM »
I used braid for the first time in salmon season this year. I couldn't cut it with clippers, never thought of scissors. Good idea. Didn't really like it in the river because the drift is different but some of the guys say there's absolutely no coil through the ice and that's what I want.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2013, 07:56 PM »
Ditto on the Asso line !! I use the brown Asso Heavy in 3# test. Awesome stuff and it's on sale right now at Bobbers Down !!! On another note I have not tried their braid line yet. I do have a spool of Berkley 832 that I'm going to try.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline fishamichagander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone ,I think I'm going to try some  Asso line .

Offline GVSUgeorged

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Asso heavy ice 2 lb or pline floralice 2 lb. Can't go wrong with either of those
Fish Long, Fish Hard.  Sleep. AND DO IT AGAIN!

Offline Smally22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2013, 02:27 PM »
What that guy said^^^^^ . He's pretty smart ;D 
Keep Your Stick on the ICE!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.