Author Topic: Showdown users only!!!!!!!  (Read 8216 times)

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
Re: Showdown users only!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: Nov 25, 2013, 06:31 PM »
I said the lines were "faint", not invisible.  Maybe when the lines are faint I could darken them in quickly with a black Sharpie marker.  I'll give that a try.   ;)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #31 on: Nov 25, 2013, 06:40 PM »
I said the lines were "faint", not invisible.  Maybe when the lines are faint I could darken them in quickly with a black Sharpie marker.  I'll give that a try.   ;)

I see no reason why that shouldn't work, and what if you used COLOR sharpies!!! Wow!   :woot:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline CAPITALCRAPPY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 25, 2013, 06:52 PM »
For me, those thin lines are easier to read than the flashing lights I have seen on other units. I have tried using a vexlar but after using the marcum its just easier to read the showdown. Again this is just my personal opinion. If you grew up using a recurve bow I'm sure a compound just doesn't feel comfortable.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Nov 25, 2013, 07:03 PM »
After charging mine up the other day, I actually had to pull out the book and play with the unit a bit, as it never made it out last year, and I forgot how to use the "ZOOM" feature.  ::)

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 25, 2013, 07:09 PM »
After charging mine up the other day, I actually had to pull out the book and play with the unit a bit, as it never made it out last year, and I forgot how to use the "ZOOM" feature.  ::)

What, an icefisherman who admits he reads manuals??? WTH? We don't need no stinkin manuals.  :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Nov 25, 2013, 07:11 PM »
What, an icefisherman who admits he reads manuals??? WTH? We don't need no stinkin manuals.  :roflmao:

SsshhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHH!       :roflmao:

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #36 on: Nov 25, 2013, 09:57 PM »

He only reads it for the pictures.At least that is what he tells his wife  ;D

Offline Neebles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2013, 07:08 PM »
I just ordered the troller 2.0    Its going to be my first entry into the electronics world..  Im sure there are better choices out there, but this is what I could afford... Regardless im pretty pumped!!!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 26, 2013, 07:51 PM »
I just ordered the troller 2.0    Its going to be my first entry into the electronics world..  Im sure there are better choices out there, but this is what I could afford... Regardless im pretty pumped!!!

You'll enjoy it neebles. :icefish:

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Great idea on the colored sharpies Rebel, thanks I wouldn't have thought of that one.  Here's to good fishin' with my new "color" Showdown.  The things you guys come up with are amazing .  Goes to show, several brains are better than none.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 26, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Quiet now guys and lets see if Rebel really thinks I'm going to use the colored Sharpies on my Showdown and gets all nervous that I'm going to ruin my unit because of his suggestion.  Maybe if I can convince him that I did it with like some doctored up pictures he will break down and send me the $$ for a new Showdown - then I'll have two.   ;D ;D

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 26, 2013, 11:05 PM »
I hate to reveal my secrets but wearing 3d glasses while using a showdown turns it into a color unit.  :thumbsup:

Offline Neebles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Nov 27, 2013, 10:34 AM »
I hate to reveal my secrets but wearing 3d glasses while using a showdown turns it into a color unit.  :thumbsup:

Good thing I upgraded my glasses this year!!  :P

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Nov 27, 2013, 10:38 AM »
Quiet now guys and lets see if Rebel really thinks I'm going to use the colored Sharpies on my Showdown and gets all nervous that I'm going to ruin my unit because of his suggestion.  Maybe if I can convince him that I did it with like some doctored up pictures he will break down and send me the $$ for a new Showdown - then I'll have two.   ;D ;D

%$#@!   I tried it on MY unit!!!!  DOH!!! Where's my colored glasses??  :%$#!:  :roflmao:

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 27, 2013, 06:06 PM »
Good thing I upgraded my glasses this year!!  :P

Shhhh. Keep it down or everyone will be doing it. ;D

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #45 on: Nov 27, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Based on the glasses, should I assume this turns the Showdown into a 2 color unit?  I need a little more than that.  Sorry to be so demanding, but ...

Offline NortsNskis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 02, 2013, 03:02 PM »
so here goes my attempt to hijack this thread......

other than size what is the big difference between the troller and the 5.6? I've got a budget of  $350 absolute max. So if I go with the troller and Performance Pack that leaves me under my budget with room for extra goodies.  If there's a huge upgrade in buying the 5.6 I'll go that route since it comes with everything. Size doesn't seem like it would bother me as long as functionality is the same. 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 02, 2013, 03:18 PM »
so here goes my attempt to hijack this thread......

other than size what is the big difference between the troller and the 5.6? I've got a budget of  $350 absolute max. So if I go with the troller and Performance Pack that leaves me under my budget with room for extra goodies.  If there's a huge upgrade in buying the 5.6 I'll go that route since it comes with everything. Size doesn't seem like it would bother me as long as functionality is the same.

The performance is not the same.  Target seperation, the ability to differentiate objects on the screen, is much less on the troller. Something like 1/2" on the 5.6 vs. 2" on the troller. The troller is nice but has a smaller screen than the 5.6, which I guess is in following with the reduction in seperation. IMO, if you're going to spring for the PP, go the extra $ to the 5.6.

Offline NortsNskis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 02, 2013, 08:47 PM »
I found a deal where I can get the troller and pack for just under $200 leaving me with a lot left for other stuff.  My question now is, is the troller a capable enough unit that I could rely on it alone? I do not own another flasher/locator and it would be my sole piece of equipment.  I do not fish any deeper than 20-25'.  I'm basically looking for a bare bones approach but if it means I wouldn't be able to jig efficiently because of the seperation then ill pony up and get the 5.6

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #49 on: Dec 02, 2013, 08:58 PM »
I only use the Troller. I have consistently landed fish.
It is what it is....

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:47 AM »
I found a deal where I can get the troller and pack for just under $200 leaving me with a lot left for other stuff.  My question now is, is the troller a capable enough unit that I could rely on it alone? I do not own another flasher/locator and it would be my sole piece of equipment.  I do not fish any deeper than 20-25'.  I'm basically looking for a bare bones approach but if it means I wouldn't be able to jig efficiently because of the seperation then ill pony up and get the 5.6

If it was me I'd get the 5.6, but you will definitely catch fish with the troller. They are a pretty slick unit for an in-hand sonar.

Offline Invader440

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 03, 2013, 10:30 PM »

Yes, the Troller will work just fine for a starting unit.  I'm starting my second year of using mine.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:29 PM »
I just turned my Showdown on for the first time this year and was still charged. Still going to put it on the charger for a full charge though.
jbird68

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #53 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:15 PM »
I just turned my Showdown on for the first time this year and was still charged. Still going to put it on the charger for a full charge though.

Same here!
It is what it is....

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 18, 2013, 04:02 PM »
I just got one of these, 5.6 dual beam, early x-mas present... had it out on the water last weekend and has got me wondering... how I ever fished without electronics in the past!? This thing was very easy to use/read... and seeing fish show up on it was great!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:57 PM »
I said the same thing two years ago when I got mine and am still wondering how I ever caught fish without it.  I guess it was being in the right place at the right time and luck.  I know one thing, I'll NEVER part with my Showdown Dual Beam and would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Offline fishing4u2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:58 AM »
Have an original SD here (and now an Elite 4).  Agree with all the points made on this thread.  Would only add that the original's fixed depth windows ARE a pain.  Say you target about 10+ FOW, then a 0-10' or 5-10' view leaves a lot out, as does the next deepest window!  One workaround is to just drop the transducer deeper... Instant 'variable depth window' adjustment achieved, but at the cost of an effectively smaller beam in the shallows... I dunno about that tradeoff.  Other issue is described on another thread... for use in standing vegetation I found faint grey jig signals IMPOSSIBLE to keep track of amidst medium grey returns from weeds.  Add a sniffer and the hot zone would be rendered effectively all black... and therefore useless (to my eye).  I was and still am a fan of the SD in other apps, but in shallow weeds it is a dinosaur today, imo.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:42 AM »
I had a showdown. Best two days in my life was when I bought it and when I sold it.  It's not a bad unit if you can get it cheap, but is not even close to the durability of a flasher. IMO it should be priced at $200 or under new.

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 29, 2013, 01:43 PM »
I just purchased a showdown troller 2.0.  2 questions what's the difference between 2.0 and the regular troller?  (Yes, I did do some research before getting the unit.)  #2 Any tips and tricks I should know about that I wont find in the instructions...  I cant wait till my new toy shows up its my first flasher/sonar ever.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Dec 29, 2013, 02:49 PM »
I just purchased a showdown troller 2.0.  2 questions what's the difference between 2.0 and the regular troller?  (Yes, I did do some research before getting the unit.)  #2 Any tips and tricks I should know about that I wont find in the instructions...  I cant wait till my new toy shows up its my first flasher/sonar ever.
I think the only difference is the Zoom function or I could be wrong and it is the Ice function. 2.0 has both Ice mode and Zoom. Check the other unit I don't think it has both.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.